Submitted by Eric Daniel

Stovesvea1_2

Since the dawn of time soldiers in the field have used fire for a variety of things; light, heat, cooking, the list goes on. Well, times have changed, and the Army has come to the conclusion that fire is nasty stuff, and the less soldiers see of it the better.

Rubbish. I happen to like hot food, hot coffee and hot water to shave and clean up with, and while the trioxane tabs are great in tactical environments, there are times where the situation will allow you to really set up shop.  Enter the Optimus SVEA stove. Introduced in the late 1800s, this white gas stove is simply bombproof. It has a self-contained fuel tank, an on-off burner with a self cleaning needle, requires no pumping to prime the tank, and will run an hour on 1 tank of gas. Made of brass, the SVEA is heavier than more modern stoves, and it is white gas only (no kerosene, JP-8, DF-2 please) but it is a near indestructible stove, which is why it is currently my stove of choice for dismounted operations. Armed with a 1-liter top off fuel tank, the SVEA will keep me in hot water for over a week.

Optimus SVEA stove

RetPara November 27, 2006 at 3:20 am

carried one for years. will work fine with MoGas, but not sure about the exotic stuff today.

skip rochkovsky January 23, 2007 at 8:17 am

the svea is a great stove, you can even get an auxiliary pump for the cold weather use

Brad Schurman November 21, 2007 at 1:06 pm

Wow, first visit to this site and archive and see a lot of familiar gear being praised, the gear I used cycling across the continent twice a few years back… proves that judicious advice and careful research can get you into the right kit for a long time…

For instance this Optimus…

the stove was great, still is, running fine 25 years later (I do a sloppy startup with the gas instead of using the paste). More kms. of use horizontal and vertical than I can count… it just works every time.

Or: I bought a KaBar on authority it was historic and sturdy (must check, am sure its an Olean made one), and have used it in so many demanding ways…never leave town without it…

Your helpful infield tips (like grunt tape and where to use it), I concur on many points from experience

Have Krazy Glued split skin in a pinch, dried and cracked from weathering and desiccation (in reference to quick wound fix elsewhere here)

Heck, can even vouch for the Photon Microlyte, albeit not in the adventure and odyssey testing.. you folks raid my gear list? hehe

Seriously, AWESOME website, count me a reader!

Baron Dismas June 8, 2008 at 11:30 pm

which stove has the following features,one palm tree wtih two lions facing each other,kaiser potrait at the bottom of the stove,german deutz,serial no s-tn-3017-47.9lb.year1932. please what kind of item is these?

jesse Njuguna June 24, 2008 at 7:02 am

I have this stove n i wld like to sell it deman deutz ga9414oc
anyone will to buy???

Evan Frisco July 29, 2008 at 9:33 am

The Optimus is Svea's most current model, but I have the same thing from about 30 or 40 years ago called a Svea 123, and it lists on the outside that it runs with benzoline, petrol, essence, or bensin. Those are Swedish names for white gas, gasoline, benzene, and I'm not sure what essence is. Benzene is a little hard to find, and gasoline is like liquid gold in some parts of the world, but the stove works fine with all of them. Because of the Svea's simple wick and capilary innards, not much can make it stop working. The only thing you might have to worry about is cleaning the atomizer hole with the provided tool and cleaning the bottom of your cook gear.

Oscar Namulanda August 1, 2008 at 3:57 am

I have a stove. On it there is a fistlike symbol, below it a palm tree with two lions facing each other and under that a crown. The serial number is not very clear to me. There is something like
0033
1943
GERMAN
DEUTZ.

FRANKLIN August 1, 2008 at 4:06 am

I have a stove with this serial number GA 004371 CK
12lb manufactured 1918.
i also have an iron box 9.19.14 3 and half pounds.
these items are in my custody and wolud like to sell tme.anyone interested to contact me.

Oscar Namulanda August 2, 2008 at 1:17 am

Update of the stove I have: Serial number is :
TND-31-48-PN
RBS 11953
DLETZ
GERMAN
*00*33
19*4*3
12Lb
Kaiser' crown. It also has a fist, a paln tree with two lions facing each other.

Oscar Namulanda August 2, 2008 at 1:26 am

update of the stove i have: Serial number:
TND-31-48-PN
RBS 11953
DLETZ
GERMAN
*00*33
19*4*8
12Lb
It also has a fist, a palm tree with two lions underneath facing each other and Kaiser's crown.
NB: the digits between the stars are not very clear to me. Who can buy?

John Maweu November 29, 2008 at 6:49 pm

Attn: Jesse Njuguna.
Kindly, get back to me urgently through jmaweu@yahoo.com
Thanks.
John

jonathan December 20, 2008 at 6:08 pm

i have a stove serial no s-PN 1914-47

Peter Shehe April 19, 2009 at 9:40 pm

We are selling a German stove serial no GA-174140C dated 1914 weighing 12 lbs. Plese get intouch with me at petershehe@yahoo.com for extra information.

MOHAMED ISSA April 21, 2009 at 10:22 pm

I have stove, it has palm tree with two lions facing each other and Kaiser's crown, it attracts like a magnet, pineapple shape, when you touch it with a steel wire it produce fire just like electricity, and when you bring a curved mirror closer to the stove it also act like an electricity.

Mwaura June 19, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Hi everybody.My name is Mwaura and I've been looking for this stoves for such a long time.I am a willing buyer and the price is quite good as we are going to talk.You can kindly contact me on this numbers:+254729556619 or +254721399642.I live in Thika,Kenya,but as long as the stove is genuine,im ready to come for it ,or you can yourself come to Thika to avoid any inonveniences.Any other genuine Grman material,including the padlocks with a 999 label,iron boxes,sufurias and others are acceptable.Thanks in advance.

Mwaura June 19, 2010 at 12:22 pm

This is an early stove made in the era of Kaiser and it can really fetch good money.I am a willing buyer and you can contact me via +254721399642 or +254729556619.You can also use my email address for further enquiries:kennedymwaura@ymail.com

Mwaura June 19, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Hi Oscar.My name is Mwaura,and I am a willing buyer.My phone numbers are +254729556619 or +254721399642.My email address is kennedymwaura@ymail.com.Thanks in advance.

Mwaura June 19, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Hi Peter.My name is Mwaura and I am a very potential buyer.I promise to offer a very good price as is your wish.My phone numbers are:+254729556619 or +254721399642

Dennis June 21, 2010 at 7:50 am

hi my name is Dennis and i am a willing buyer for kaiser stove.please get in touch with me on +254 710 389 974. or shagzmtu@gmail.com.

John July 19, 2010 at 8:03 am

Hi Mohamed, iiam john, i am interested in that stove you have, to be honest, i have someone(xpatriate) who will buy it if its the real thing you have. We have been taken on a wild goose chase for months by pple claiming to have it, maybe trying to take advantage of the 'mzungu'.Nway, if you still have it in your possesion, pls get in touch with me on 0721 584 137 or email twistah560@yahoo.com so that we can arrange for tha purchase.all i can say for now is that transactions will be from bank to bank.pls get back soonest.thx

Stanley May 8, 2011 at 12:16 am

Read more: http://kitup.military.com/2006/11/cooking_with_ga
Kit Up!

jay September 12, 2011 at 9:33 am

the thing you are missing to understand is that you really dont have an idea of what you have or looking for.I have been in possesion of an original german duss stove for 5 years and i have never come across any individual who really visualizes exactly how the product and its other component look like.If you want to prove me wrong,what is the other component am refering to.Hint.You ordinary people refer to it as the 'stand' which is wrong

Joe September 13, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Jay, if you've got that German stove in your possession. Why dont you sell it?

Emmanuel Maitha October 4, 2011 at 4:15 am

Hi peter am maitha from kilifi i can bay that stove my number is0720382566 or0719515298

monicah njihia October 22, 2011 at 1:07 am

i also need the stove and i would like to know the price and where i can get it from.please assist

Benson November 23, 2011 at 4:20 am

Its called a Breezer and i also doubt so many pple who allegges to possess the stove._

Junior March 5, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I have the German stove code G.A 714140 c 1914 and I'm look trusted buyer call **********

Elisha March 9, 2012 at 4:30 am

Hey buyers and sellers,can you shade more light on these products? How much are they worth?

lilly April 5, 2012 at 6:16 am

hey Junior…please send me the price of the stove am willing to buy it.

edwin chesire April 27, 2012 at 12:14 am

i would like to know the price of this german sove,i have a friend with it 12lb

martin May 5, 2012 at 8:34 am

do you still posses the German stove? It is a real treasure…..juz write back 2 me.

martin May 5, 2012 at 8:38 am

Write to:***********@*****.***

Peter October 18, 2012 at 8:10 am

Hi edwin,does your frd still have the stove? Can u contact me thro'my email?

Peter October 18, 2012 at 8:21 am

Hi,do u still have the item?contact me on email address,*****************@*****.***

Peter October 18, 2012 at 12:18 pm

David November 5, 2012 at 8:32 am

i have the german stove 1914. I need an urgent buyer 40M.. email me asap *******@*****.***

charles kiguru April 11, 2013 at 1:55 am

I would like to purchase one stove or iron box but if they meet all requirements

chuii May 26, 2013 at 12:02 am

ok. i have been reading for weeks and now i have seen so many7 of these stoves ,personaly7 and checked it out done all the tests and 99% of them are genuine.

7* I have personaly7 lost 25 million to conmen and i have 4 stoves,ironboxes.999 padlocks 5.red mercury7 bottles.plus knives,spoons,cup,rupias,sufurias,ect..ect.

7*german sites ready7 and lots of others items BUT BUT i am hot with all items and waiting for genuine buersy/3. Thanking every7one.chuii.

chuii May 26, 2013 at 12:11 am

OK. i have been reading for weeks and now i have seen so many7 of these stoves ,personally7 and checked it out done all the tests and 99% of them are genuine.

7*the problem is that there are a lot of con men out there and private deals are the best not open deals on the net ..okay

7* I have personaly/3 lost 25 million to con-men and i have 4 stoves,iron-boxes.999 padlocks 5.red mercury7 bottles.plus knives,spoons,cup,rupias,sufurias,ect..ect.