Woobie

Submitted by Eric Skitka

Never go anywhere without your Woobie, ever.  Why is it called a "Woobie"? Because you would not want to be without it. "Woobie without it!"  Get it?

This extremely compactable warm blanket fits in a cargo pants pocket easily.  It stuffs into the ruck sack no matter how full it is.  A Woobie keeps you warm and draft free in hangars, cargo bays of aircraft, on and in the ground, on the back of the truck driving in cold weather.  Use it to line your sleeping bag, as a light bag in warm weather, or as a shelter.

Shop for this Poncho Liner (WOOBIE)

Richard Bean November 21, 2006 at 4:25 am

I second that. I'm retired now but wouldn't be without it. Of course back then we just called it a poncho liner.

Daniel November 21, 2006 at 5:41 am

I don't leave home without one! It's part of my Safty Kit, for my SUV! I sleep on it, eat on it, use it to MOVE heavy objects , the list IS ENDLESS!!!

Emmett November 21, 2006 at 8:22 am

I don't know who the yoyo is that is calling this a Woobie. I bought my first Poncho Liner going through Ranger School in 1970 and I was issued my first Poncho Liner in 1970 in the Republic of Vietnam. It's a Poncho Liner because it attaches to the poncho eyelets with those cute little tie ends. Where do you guys come from? Is there a book of stupid names your working out of?

Alan Palagy November 21, 2006 at 11:32 am

Those of us in Special Forces called it a poncho liner, also. Hey Emmett, this guy must be Air Force.

Jesse B. November 21, 2006 at 1:05 pm

"Woobie" comes from the movie "Mr. Mom" with Michael Keaton. I didn't hear the term Wobbie until the second time I was in the Army 92-95.

Jeff Coulter November 21, 2006 at 4:42 pm

One man's woobie is another man's poncho liner. All I know is that it is an absolutely essential piece of gear.

Pete November 21, 2006 at 10:31 pm

I think woobie is the new tern that they use for it in Basic, helps the kids make the transition to soldier life a little easier, don't ya know…….

Francis Marion November 22, 2006 at 1:02 am

No, you just woobie cold without it. Mines sittin' on my bed right now (I'm deployed) but for the field/travel I now prefer a fleece blanket which provides more insulation between me and the ground. (Most fiber-fill looses it's insulation ability when pressed flat.)

Joe Boyum November 25, 2006 at 2:33 am

The name comes from an 80's movie with Michael Keaton "Mr. Mom". Woobie is the nickname one of the kids has for his security blanket. When I was in the Rangers in 97-98, that was our nickname for it. Just like our field jacket liner was called a smoking jacket because of it's padded appearance.

Dan December 1, 2006 at 5:56 pm

I loved my poncho liner. Great piece of gear for the field. After I got out my 1 year old son would'nt go to bed or camping without it. Since then I've bought 4 more, 1 for each member of my family.

Christina December 4, 2006 at 9:26 pm

I love mine. But how big are this guy's cargo pockets !?!

John December 12, 2006 at 8:34 am

I've been off active duty for 6 years now and I still have my faithful poncho liner. Its on my bed as I write this. Awesome!!!!

Christy December 12, 2006 at 8:36 am

We hung our poncho liners with P cord to make walls in tents and hangers for sleeping.

Larry December 12, 2006 at 11:59 am

1968 Northern I Corps we called them poncho liners or SNOPPY BLANKETS.

Richard Barbieri December 13, 2006 at 2:15 am

Install a Ranger Rick poncho converson on your poncho liner. That way you can have a head hole and wear it under your poncho. The conversion kit also includes a zipper so that you can zip up the liner to make lightweight sleeping bag, or great liner for cold weather. I bought an Thinsulite poncho liner and it really works great.

LCpl Atwood January 22, 2007 at 9:46 am

OORAh to the Woobie. I had one in boot camp, and that poncho liner plus an isomat makes an awesome rack out in the field.

Old Bill February 24, 2007 at 5:31 am

Oh, man. . .poncho liners. . . still have mine from 68 Viet Nam. . .it is absolutely white from being washed so much and the stitching is starting to come out. . bought them for my kids way back, and they won't be without them either.

Charlie March 6, 2007 at 1:29 pm

Boy do I miss MY poncho liner. It's the one thing I turned in when I pcs'd that I wished I'd kept. That thing NEVER let me get cold, and my wife had a good time with it too.

+Weaponsaint+ July 21, 2007 at 6:48 pm

PONCHO LINERS are the best. Not sure about these candy-ass "woobies" you speak of.

Doc Meyer August 9, 2007 at 3:14 pm

I was issued mine in Oct 70 RVN. I've been through half a dozen divorces and every wife wanted to keep it, ain't no way in hell!!! I've still got her and she still comforts me and keeps me warm.

gene December 8, 2007 at 9:14 pm

I love them. My buddy got me a cool 3 color desert p liner, and my wife stole it. However, in my youth, I made the mistake of taking my p-liner and poncho instead of my sleeping bag on an op on San Clemente in January… I froze my butt off in a fighting hole…never again…

Melanie Grande December 15, 2007 at 2:48 am

I've had mine for 14 years now, and I still travel with it everyhere I go.

katie May 9, 2008 at 4:27 am

Being a flyer in the air force, we were "corrected" by our SERE instructors at survivor school to call them "Wilbies". We asked why, and they said, "Because it wilbie what keeps you from freezing." Eastern Washington state in the end of January is beastly cold. One schmuck in my training group didn't use it the first night, and he did end up with frost bite. Everyone else was fine. During our training, I fell in love with wilbie, and seriously thought about snagging one, (they checked our suitcases on the way out to make sure noone followed that urge). I have been looking to purchase my "true love" for 2 years now to keep me warm on late night training flights that freeze even the stoutest aviators. Imagine my envy when my buddy snagged one from her Marine boyfriend. $25 isn't bad though. (And don't be hatin' the AF. I'm a herk girl so I get shot at just as much as you.)

fred August 24, 2008 at 10:36 am

Not only are they warm, but I've had 2 of them since I was on active duty in 1995 and they are still in good shape. They last forever.

fred August 24, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Not only are they warm, but I’ve had 2 of them since I was on active duty in 1995 and they are still in good shape. They last forever.

SSG Tark September 3, 2008 at 9:51 am

I'm in Iraq right now and have my dad's woobie out here with me that he had with him in Iraq. He didn't give it up willingly though, I've been curling up in this thing all my life, 29 now and still using it.

SSG Tark September 3, 2008 at 9:57 am

That should've been Vietnam, he wasn't in Iraq.

Static Line Grunt December 27, 2008 at 6:29 am

Ah, my beloved poncho liner, aka Woobie. The only source of comfort I have when the chips are down. I have had the same one in Iraq, Europe,US and it goes with me on every flight and every trip as a back up. Not to mention chicks think its so cute that its called a woobie and are surprised at how warm it is when you invite them to give it a try.

porscha June 6, 2010 at 5:53 am

These are one of the best inventions of all times! When the family travels we each take our own … great to have with kiddos

Vince August 3, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Ok in the Corps from 88-94 we just called it a poncho liner as well. Woobie (from Mr Mom) sounds stupid and I remeber calling the "isomat" someone else said as a rubber bitch. Boot Camp it was called a rubber bitch and every unit I was with it was a rubber bitch. What is going on with our military anymore child like names and PC terms.

PTSD August 30, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I call it a woobie, just like the rest of the infantry. No one cares about what you called it in ranger school or what sf calls it. do yourself a favor…go to the va, get counseling, and get happy pills to take. that way next time you see someting you dont like, you wont have to go bitching about it on comment boards. "bla bla bla".."when I was a ranger I used my poncho liner to smack this pussy new generation" "jolly roger would turn in his grave if heard that"

PTSD August 30, 2010 at 9:46 pm

are you ok? gonna cry about it? here take my woobie.

Ramsey November 1, 2010 at 12:33 pm

You hit it right on the head Emmett. The only people I ever heard call a poncho liner a woobie were dumbasses that never got dirty.

CHOKEURSELF November 1, 2010 at 12:37 pm

How were those IEDs up in the air?… you guys must have lost a lot of planes.

John December 14, 2010 at 5:32 am

I got my Woobie at Ft Bragg in 1974. And, that's what everybody in my unit was calling them back then, before Mr Mom.
I was told it's a nickname for a favorite blanket. Like Linus's security blanket or calling a pacifier a binkie.

Joe Moore December 28, 2011 at 7:24 pm

It's called Flak & yes we did.

Joe Moore December 28, 2011 at 7:27 pm

That's correct!

Jim June 6, 2012 at 7:00 am

As mine was issued, the first thing I was told is: "Never go anywhere without this woobie."
I made the mistake of not packing mine ONE time. Lesson learned.
Use it for everything, not just a mere poncho liner.
After 15 years as an Airborne Ranger assigned to both the 1st SF and 10th SF Groups, I can say I've gotten dirty. I tell everyone of my troops the same thing. Number one rule: NEVER GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT YOUR WOOBIE!

Poncho liner and woobie are synonymous. Deal with it. The title is an endearment, not put down. There's nothing un-manly about it.

RLTW!

R. Walker September 27, 2012 at 8:29 pm

What size should I get, 88 X 62 or 82 X 62, and why are there different sizes?

Mike March 24, 2013 at 6:17 am

Funny, we never did hear much about airplane losses in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Mike March 24, 2013 at 6:20 am

After using poncho liners for many years, starting in Viet Nam, I will admit they are better than nothing for warmth but there are better options these days.

Jim March 24, 2013 at 7:43 am

It was all I used during the hot months over there. Anybody who has slept in a KBR "transient tent" knows they keep the bed bugs off ya. Saves room in a gun truck as opposed to a sleep system. Use one now as a shooters blanket. And they are great for making forts in the living room.

Jim March 24, 2013 at 7:46 am

They always make me feel like the baby Jesus.

Jim March 24, 2013 at 7:51 am

Where do you dance?

Jim March 24, 2013 at 7:54 am

Her one and ONLY night in the field

Jim March 24, 2013 at 7:57 am

Been to many a school and seen many a fool but never brought a suitcase. WOW

Jim March 24, 2013 at 7:58 am

You need a man

Delta Mike August 5, 2013 at 10:56 pm

When I was stationed at Wiesbaden Air Base in the late 80's, there was a German Seamstress that would take your PONCHO LINER, and sew it into the O.D. Plastic Rain Jacket. She would have a little material left over, and would make you a pillow to use in your sleeping bag. That was the best damn foul weather jacket I had, until they started issuing Gore-Tex Jackets. And we had to turn in the Gore-Tex when we PCS'ed . :P

Jim Bennett October 21, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Where can I purchase a poncho liner conversion zipper kit? Ranger Rick came up with the idea some years back. they have been discontinued, by US Cav and Brigade QM.

Thanks for your time and help,
J Bennett