I shared with the readers of our sister site Defense Tech the formal contract announcement from the Army for Remington to rebuild its M24 sniper rifles into a new standard shooting the .300 WinMag.

We already discussed this move here a couple weeks ago, but one of the things the Army said in its statement was that it had changed the weapon name from M24E1 to the XM2010.

I asked PEO and my SOF contacts for Soldier Weapons why the XM designation if the rifle contract is technically a “rebuild.” I wasn’t the only one to wonder about this, and our friends at the Firearms Blog and Soldier Systems Daily filled in some of the pieces of the puzzle.

But I got a response from PEO Soldier Weapons and I thought I’d share it with you:

Although the XM2010 utilizes the same Remington 700 long action receiver as the M24, it is a complete reconfiguration of the original M24SWS. The XM2010 fires a different cartridge and provides benefits that are well beyond form, fit, and function changes. It is practically a new rifle and needs to be treated from an acquisition perspective like a new system, tested and verified before we send it out into the field.

Authorization to spend production funding is another reason why we need to type classify. Type Classification (TC) in some form (TC Limited Procurement or TC Standard) satisfies the Army acquisition management process to determine that materiel is “accepted for Army use” prior to spending procurement funds.

Fair enough…But this raises yet another question: If the XM2010 should “be treated from an acquisition perspective like a new system,” then why was there not a full and open competition for a .300 WinMag (or another caliber entirely) sniper weapon system? I might have missed something (and please correct me if I’m wrong), but I don’t remember a competition for a new sniper rifle in the Army. I just remember an announcement that PEO had decided to rebuild the M24 in .300 WinMag with a few new techs thrown in.

I threw that question back at PEO Soldier Weapons and we’ll see what they respond with…Stay tuned.

UPDATE: PEO responded that the “upgrade” was a full and open competition.

But again, it just seems weird that if all that’s left of the original rifle is a receiver and you’ve fundamentally changed the system so much that you need to give it a new type class and treat it “like a new system” that the service wouldn’t compete the whole rifle. Would Remington have offered its convertable sniper weapon system if there had been? Would others have thrown their hat in the ring?

Bob October 8, 2010 at 9:09 am

The U.S. Army procurement system works is mysterious, strange and wonderful ways. Ways that mere mortals could never comprehend.

Jon October 8, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Just sounds like a political decision IMO. As long as our troops have the best weapon I don't care if its called the UberX9000 or the Fruity-Oodles-Of-Titan Rifle aka the FOOT Rifle.

nraddin October 8, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Do we really need to have a full and open competition where billions of dollars are spent testings 400 entries, or funding the construction/purchase of entries to test for everything we do? We need to start thinking about ways to shrink the military's budget while making our military more lethal and ready. That means cutting fat and I don't see a bigger fat target than crazy weapons competitions for systems.

Honestly the 'treating this as a new weapon' is just crazy all around. If this just means fielding it slowly to make sure they don't have a unforeseeable flaw then great, but there are hundreds of 300winmag rifles out there that have showed themselves as almost perfect over decades and decades of us and don't need much testing.

Bob October 9, 2010 at 4:06 am

Its the way the federal guvmint does things. Over the past centuries our federal guvmint has devised fool proof ways of R&D plus procurement, that will insure that everything they buy cost three times as much as it ought to, and takes twice as long to make it to the field.

soontobehubby/scout October 9, 2010 at 5:21 pm

is it just me or does it look kinda fragile?

straps October 11, 2010 at 9:17 am

The wooden receivers provided the illusion of durability and not much else. And the bedding process is akin to witchcraft, even with furniture built out of modern materials. That foreend will do more to protect that barrel than it appears.

You couldn't beat the crap out of a M24/M40, and you can't beat the crap out of this rifle.

I don't envy the sniper who's gonna be beating himself with a .300 WinMag–but I envy his prey even less.

Jeftex October 12, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Same thought. Also how much debris will get snagged by all the edges? I am for "Some Weight Loss" but can I bug out silently and swiftly with out hanging up on something. Is this going to be better than the 308? Or close to the 50 Cal? Will it hit and smash the life out of a target?

Stormcharger October 9, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I seem to remember that a full and open competition involving the M4 replacement was held not to long ago. And even though most entries outperformed the M4, it came out on top and is here to stay. Can anyone really say that a competition to replace or improve the M24 would have had other results?

In any case, having hunted extensively with the .300WinMag, the hardware on the new weapon doesn't look like it'll stand up to what the Magnum will deliver. I truely feel sorry for the shooters who will have to qualify and bear the trigger time on the mew rifle, it'll be a painful duty. There's really nothing wrong with the current M24, the distance gap would be better served with existing .50Cal rifles already in use, as they are already designed for the load they fire.

Edward Yee October 10, 2010 at 9:18 pm

The .50 BMG rifles are apparently too big and heavy for certain areas where snipers might be needing to go, so at least for the Europeans in Afghanistan apparently .338 Lapua (8.6 mm) has been filling that "in between" niche quite nice. I don't know if the Army's Remington 700 receiver version (unlike that in the Marines' M40) would take that caliber, whereas the story goes that the Army chose that receiver version in case of this eventuality.

fenton October 11, 2010 at 12:41 pm

i wont post it on here, but look up te barrets shot group size at 1000m. Thats why its useless.

Bob October 10, 2010 at 5:14 am

I certainly would not want to fire very many 300 WM rounds from the prone position. Tried it once. It hurt. Seems like they would have put a honking big compensator on that thingie. Maybe there is a shock absorber in the butt stock.

Ron February 1, 2014 at 5:38 pm

If you want a good 300 Win Mag try one of Lea Baer's Tac Recon models. It has a fantastic comp on it and with full load behind a 190 grain bullet the recoil is no more than a 308. The company guarantees 1/2" or l;ess at 100 yds with 10 rds. The workmanship on this rifle is fantastic and Les is a stickler for perfection. I have one with a Nightforce 5X22X56 and I love this thing. Costs a bunch, but worth every penny.

IronV October 10, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Wow. I wish I had the acute and mystical powers of second guessing as many of these posters. Can you imagine the chaos if the second guessing was official? Good lord, our guys would be using pre-WWI sniper equipment…

Stormcharger October 11, 2010 at 8:11 am

Nothing mystical about it.

Not one post is saying to rearm our troops with the M1903 Springfield, going bacwards is the issue here and not by my desire. But by attemting to field a calibur of rifle that some troops dread to use, it seems the military is.

I love the .300WinMag, but it has limitations. It's perfect for long range where you need to get a slightly heavier round on target with one shot. Problem? Too many shots and you heve to begin calculating barrel wear into your ballistics which is a pain in the ass. Not to mention the pain felt at having to absorb the increased recoil because the .300WinMag is designed for short action rifles, which means it's loaded into rifles much too light for the cartridge. Like the XM2010, which is likely designed around the current trend of weight savings.

The Fellmonger October 11, 2010 at 9:00 am

Actually, the 03 is not a bad sniper rifle – though limited in range.

straps October 11, 2010 at 9:08 am

One word sums it up about the value of lengthy, formal EXPENSIVE testing programs for sniper rifles: M110.

A tested, proven (big Army says it works) system from a reputable manufacturer (Knight's Armament) that has provided nothing but grief.

And once again by virtue of distnctive equipment the sniper will join the Medic and the RTO as high value targets.

Musterion October 11, 2010 at 10:06 am

Isn't this sort of like the F/A-18 E/F ? This really a new aircraft, but was snuck in as an upgrade.

SSGT.C.D October 11, 2010 at 9:29 pm

MARINES DONT HAVE THESE PROBLEMS….WE WORK WITH WHAT WE HAVE…..HINT…HINT

SSGT.C.D October 12, 2010 at 1:29 am

MARINES DONT HAVE THESE PROBLEMS….WE WORK WITH WHAT WE HAVE…..HINT…HINT

good grief October 12, 2010 at 3:44 am

i have worked for the Army since 1985 and have learned a little about how they make decisions. this one was clearly based upon the fact that this rifle looks like some futuristic movie weapon. hey, if it's good enough for Hollywood, then it's good enough for guys fighting for their lives……..right…..

how many success stories do individual soldires and Marines have to provide from places like Viet Nam and Fallujah for the army to recognize that any problem is not with the weapons. how many tens of thousands of enemies have to be killed with a 7.62×51 before someone in the army says………"yeah, i guess it's lethal."

the army hides behind…….."…..if it saves the life one one soldier…" way too often. this rifle is no more lethal than what we already have. this is more ******** army politics at work. some bureaucrat can now say…….."see what i did. and i did it to save lives." ********!! personal recognition……that's what drives too much in the army today. and it is almost always at the "expense" of the soldier…..not for his "benefit".

Satchmo December 9, 2010 at 7:07 pm

The .300 Win Mag long is a great round, but rather long in the tooth. I am sure there are much better rifles that this on the commercial private market, but reviewing our history an not too willing to see another Eugene Stoner type of fiasco. That was a fragile pile of junk in prototype stage. I am comparing apples to oranges with the guns, but I am sure the political favoritism and sabotage of great products continues to plague the military procurements system. The .338 Lapua is a nice round, as are a lot from 406 prototype to the old .50BMG black needle boat tails. I have done amazing stuff with the .50, but I had a truck and was not sneaking around in the bushes either. I know our soldiers are some of the if not the absolute best of the best in the world. A lot have trained with all sorts of arms. The sniper program is incredible. I am not one to try to sneak up on an enemy and hold behind the only bush in miles, and it is crawling with biting ants. I praise those who will do this, and am saying a prayer that this gun does not let them down. Unfortunately it looks like they are still beating a very tired horse that is circling the drain. Putting a new blanket, and jockey on him will not make him win the race. If I can drive to the north side of town and buy a bolt action .50 custom made that will shoot a mile, I am sure the enemy can find one too. I am so tired of propaganda bull. I am needlessly somewhat disappointed in the army's choice of action, but letting the equipment we use age and not upgrade until we absolutely need it has bit us in the behind again. I like the .300 Win Mag over the .308 NATO, and maybe the .338 over the .300, etc, but this looks like a redressed militarized Rem 700. They all can shoot 800 meters with good optics, and a good operator. I think doing nothing may have had the same result as doing this. When changing horses in mid stream you are likely to have some problems, and this does not look like a much better horse,

Seth December 9, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Well yeah! You also are making your own rifles, and loading your own ammo. If you work with what you have and the brass OKs better stuff, then you have better stuff, and for the USMC that includes training, among other things. At least the USMC saw fit to address this issue before now. All branches of the service have their elite op forces. I am not going to argue with a Marine who's is best, and do not want to start that argument with anyone else, NUFF SAID. I have friends who are SEALs X and active (USN and USMC) and others with green foot prints on their butts (USAF), and do not want to mess with any of them. I also have friends in the Army. I am glad the ones for whom the war is over are here, miss those who did not come home, and hope the guys "in country" get back to the "real world" in one piece with all their pieces. Semper Fi! Make it happen with what ya got! God Bless

Joe December 10, 2010 at 4:05 am

I saw a show about some guy called Lông Trắng running around Vietnam with a 30-06 Winchester Model 70 and a 8X Unertl, doing a lot of damage. Lets just boil it down to the basics, and train the hell out of the shooters.

D Boling, MSG, US Ar December 10, 2010 at 10:02 am

I dont know what all the fuss is about.
Its not that different from the original M24 in the fact that we used to have our M24's reworked as far back as 1987 to do just the same thing. You see, with an M24, all you need is for it to be a long action, and the conversion to 300Win Mag was a snap. All they did here is dress it up and provably add a better scope, (calibrated for the 300 Win Mag round). I personally have converted 2 such guns myself. One was a Rem 700 PSS and now its a better Rem 700 PSS.

As for the moron that says that the gun wont hold up to the round.
Dude, get over yourself…! What you are provably saying is that you wont hold up to that gun….
*****..!
No sniper in his right mind would turn down that kind of range, especially with that much of a softer recoil than a Barret or Mcmillan 50 Cal.

The next time you want to put something down,,,, make sure that first,,,, you know what your talking about.!

woodycreek December 13, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Long Trang "White Feather" was the Vet cong's nickname for Gunny Carlos Hathcock USMC Scout/Sniper. He had a white feather in his boonie cover as a middle finger to the bad guys.

Wilson Chandler January 14, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Who builds the type of stock that is being used for the XM2010

keith January 21, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Apparently the TAC MOD stock is as sturdy as any out there and can be fully adjustable to every soldier without having to add any additional parts. I use a Remington 700p with a HS Precision stock. This will be plenty sturdy enough to handle the 300win mag. Although, I am a fan of the .338 Lapua mag, this should be fine for an upgrade since they will use the M110 for their primary sniper rifle. 300 win mag will stay supersonic until around 1500 yards. It's not impossible to shoot, nor does it cause pain when you're used to it and used to shooting with proper form.

keith January 21, 2011 at 11:33 pm

it's a TAC MOD stock. It will set you back over a grand.

Wilson Chandler February 8, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Thanks, for your help

CHAZ February 15, 2011 at 2:32 am

YOU HAVE NY AMEN ON YOUR ACCESMENT!!!

CHAZ February 15, 2011 at 2:42 am

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I FEEL IT HAS BEEN TESTED TO THE FULLEST AND NOT FAILED.
MY NIGHMARE WAS MY M14 HANGING UP TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

Johnny Quest February 15, 2011 at 8:11 am

Just throwing this out there, but as was previously mentioned, why the 300 WM? If you are gonna step it up, the .338 Lapua would seem to be the logical round.

Also, I recently had the opportunity to shoot the Desert Tactical SRS after it had been out a few years. Man, it is better than I expected and will become my go to bolt action in the near future. The compactness, the ability to change calibers, the magazines, rails, it has it all. Plus, it was very accurate.

Alfred February 19, 2011 at 6:15 pm

yes i think there is, found one on Brownells site, it is called :
Ken Rucker's Auto-Buster? Recoil Reduction System Auto Buster Recoil Reduction System – Speedbump Stockworks

I have a rem 700 7mm mag with an Axiom stock on it. It absorbs the recoil with spring in the pistol grip and butt tube. It is so new few people have experience it. I have one and will only now actually fully experience the stocks full potential. it turns out i bought my stock ahead of an addendum Blackhawk issued on conditioning the stock before use. After you condition it which is to oil it a bit. It springs back and forth like a pogo stick. I am shooting sub moa's with it now. I can do 30 to 40 shoot before the kick and sound start to become annoying. But with the stock fully working now I am sure I can shoot all day just as long as i use the big ears instead of ear plugs. I sure wish Xm2010 has some kind of similar recoil reducing system on it. But i guest we do not know because it is classified. If they don't have a recoil reducing system I hope they learn something from the Blackhawk Axiom Stock because it is great. If you have any questions email me at "alfred-a@homehouseplansblueprints.com" and I'll be happy to elaborate.

Chris October 9, 2011 at 8:14 am

All M24's are long action. This has been planned for over 20 years. Why do you think they would shoot a short action cartridge 7.62 Nato, out of a long action rifle. All you have to do is change the barrel and the bolt and you are good to go.

RBennett November 11, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I have to agree Satchmo. I would have loved to see the .338 used. This round was designed for sniping. Maybe it would have made the .338 an affordable option for the rest of us. Not just the military with bottomless pockets.
I read that the reason for the new round was because of the need for a sniper system that was able to disable vehicles, like the suicide car bombers is Afghanistan, as well as being a long range sniping rifle. The .50 sniper system was designed to fill this spot and was deployed to all check points in Afghanistan, but at 33 pounds loaded it is not very portable option.
The fastest and most economical solution was to just retrofit the M24 to a .300 mag. Now you have a weapon system that can disable vehicles, snipe and is portable.

uday November 30, 2011 at 10:11 pm

i want to know about the 50 caliber barret gun

Doug May 3, 2012 at 2:07 pm

How about everyone who is going on and on about how "it looks fragile? and "it looks like it would snag" and "it looks like it's too light" and so on…actually handle a production weapon before spouting off? Maybe, just maybe, the guys who actually helped make the decisions here have some experience with the weapons system, and so can develop _informed_ opinions about it.

Samson March 25, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Great. Now the Army cats can miss at even longer ranges. Army snipers suck.

-SS 8541