I had the opportunity to demo the new Sure Strike laser training device developed by Laser Ammo over the last couple of weeks. This system allows you to convert your standard-issue pistol into a dry fire training device in seconds.

The kit comes in a small, cordura pouch with mini laser-reflective targets, the laser “bullet” and a safety pipe that runs the length of the barrel. It sets up in seconds and shoots an eye-safe laser each time the firing pin hits the laser bullet. Company officials note that the laser is slightly delayed to best simulate the time it takes for the bullet to actually exit the barrel, so for certain shots the user gets better feedback on how their shot actually performed.

I installed the Sure Strike into my Ruger P95 with no problems, though Laser Ammo sent me a longer safety pipe barrels up to 4.8″ — though the company does have a short pipe that fits up to 4.1″ which would have been better for my 3.9″ barrel . Despite the inch of extra aluminum extending beyond the tip of my barrel, drawing wasn’t an issue at all.

The Sure Strike works great for practicing draw techniques and speed, shooting accuracy and other pistol craft problem areas that need constant muscle memory reminders. The company can custom program the laser bullet to fire a certain amount of shots, wait a few seconds, then resume to simulate reloads.

The one glaring problem with the system, however, is the lack of blowback. It’s not huge with a double action pistol, but it sure makes using the Sure Strike with a Glock or another single action gun a pain. John Fletcher, a spokesman for the Israel-based company, said his shop is developing a blowback system that will alleviate that problem. He was cagey about how it worked and when it would be released, but you can expect it within the next 12 months, he said.

Laser Ammo has adaptors that fit pistols in 9mm, 40 cal and 45, and they also have adaptors for 12 ga. shotguns. Fletcher said the company is working on an adaptor for the M4 to sell to US units which will incorporate its upcoming blowback kit.

I loved playing with the Sure Strike. It works great in the office for target acquisition practice, shooting accurately in each hand and working draws and reloads  — all things that demand constant reminders so they’re second nature. A blowback kit would be very cool, since it would work against accuracy and help practicing with the trigger pull — basically making the whole training more realistic.

But as it is, the Laser Ammo Sure Strike is a darn good tool for practicing when time at the range is scarce. The product retails for $160.

freeloader November 5, 2010 at 10:10 am

Does it show you where your laser bullet hit on the target? If not, you can save $160 bucks and still use snap-caps and traditional dry firing. If it were like the range simulators and be able to show "wobble area" and point of impact, it would be well worth it, otherwise, I'll keep my money.

John Fletcher November 6, 2010 at 10:06 am

Freeloader,

The device shows point of impact using a split second visible laser dot that appears on the target, as shown in the video. The guy in the video is shooting properly, so you don't see any wobble. But for problem shooters, you can definitely see a laser "line" instead of a precise dot, and the direction of the line reveals the mistake that the shooter is making.

freeloader November 8, 2010 at 6:30 am

Thanks for the info! I guess the article didn't give me enough, but with this info, I can totally see it's worth now. Thumbs Up!

Oren Uhr November 6, 2010 at 10:38 am

Freeloader, when you use snap caps you are positive about being dead on, right? How do you know that? Can you practice home defense with a snap cap?
One of the most significant abilities of this tool was not mentioned in this article, Laser Ammo offers exchangeable controllers for their SureSrtike, and it can be used as a boresite, set longer illumination for stability practice and even interface with some of the simulators on the market with the difference of using your own weapon instead of a plastic toy!
Beside, dry fire is meant to practice the pre detonation technique by repetition, self correction and engraining the muscular memory, the SureStrike dose this wonderfully by providing the most needed immediate feedback. I am not sure that the lack of recoil, for a student, isn’t actually an advantage.

freeloader November 8, 2010 at 6:32 am

Using snap caps is a way to save the firing pin and spring. They have nothing to do with accuracy. Dry-firing is for mechanics, not accuracy. And yes, when you practice "home defense" you could have snap-caps in your gun, I suppose.

Oren Uhr November 8, 2010 at 1:26 pm

sir,I didn't mean to offend you , I apologize if I did.
When using the SureStrikes it acts as a snap cap as well, so your firing pin and spring are protected, it the only laser product that dose that. I meant to say that you can not use a snap cap for home defense in away this video shows http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rHJjXii82g&fe
Dry fire is for mechanics only, true when not using the SureStrike. Imagine practicing drawing, target acquisition and first bullet when you actually see where you hit! Repetition and self correction turns into a learning process and you get to be very good doing it. Aiming becomes quicker and more instinctive. However, keep in mind that this device is not a shooting simulator and can not replace the need to eventually go to the range.

John Fletcher November 6, 2010 at 9:20 am

Peter,

Laser Ammo has designed the SureStrike knowing the weak points of other products in the market. The device has essentially no reliability problems, and we have sold quite a few. If the store you refer to wants to test one out, just contact the company! <a href="http://www.laser-ammo.com” target=”_blank”>www.laser-ammo.com

TIGERONE November 8, 2010 at 8:28 am

Good product to be marketed to "arm'chair" soldiers, or want-a-be types! Not too practical in the real world of soldiers – no recoil, trajectory placement on target, with that last second quiver, trigger jerk, healing, or simple flintch, in real live fire! My bet is there will no doubt be those out there that will attempt it as a cost saving measure to trim budgets. Even pilots have to spend time actually flying aircraft, after simulators!

Oren Uhr November 8, 2010 at 1:51 pm

What's the best way to fix "last second quiver, trigger jerk, healing, or simple flintch" if you don’t have tons of $$$$$ for ammo? – Dry fire!
Is there a way to make "last second quiver, trigger jerk, healing, or simple flintch" visible to the shooter or trainer? Yes! You will definitely see a short line instead of a dot while using the SureStrike, direction of the line will even indicate the mistake.
trajectory placement in a hand gun? not relevant in practical ranges.
Recoil? What recoil are you used to in dry fire? This is not a $40K shooting simulator.
BTW, will you board a plane flayed by a pilot that never practiced crashing in a simulator?

Rightway September 4, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Not every person who owns a gun is in the military, wants to be in the military or be a soldier. Many are citizens and carry concealed for defensive purposes. If "practice" has no value, then why does military personnel "practice" when learning to use their weapon. We're sorry we're not all as Macho and bad ass as you are, Tigerone. But not every person is, or wants to be Delta Force or a Navy Seal. Sorry we don't live up to your macho level.
For the rest of us, though, that want to learn "drawing from concealment" or drawing from a Tactical Holster and presenting on target, I, nor you, need to fire a shot. We do need to practice for speed and accuracy, which CAN be achieved at short distances, which is EXACTLY where defensive firearms exchanges occur. Well over 80% of defensive "gunfights" occur within 10 yards. That would include almost every LEO walking and many Military personnel in CQC situations in an urban environment.
One other thing, the Military doesn't seem to think this convention of training is as wimpy or useless as you seem to think. Every branch of service trains on these devices.

freeloader November 12, 2010 at 8:55 am

Point taken. No apologies needed : ) I think I got caught up on terminologies and stuff. I believe I have removed my cranium from my, well, you get the idea… I see your point about the total package, and I wholeheartedly concur with your last statement!!!

Scott Caseras November 29, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I'm using this device with iMarksman system. It works for me…I'm able to refine the quality of trigger pull and improve holster-drawing techniques.AA++

xfighterdefense December 6, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I have found this system to work great for first time shooters. If you are teaching someone to shoot it is great for demonstrating the mechanics of the weapon before introducing the bang! As an instructor I would like to now prior to a student pulling the trigger that he or she is not aiming at the ceiling of the range. This system allows a instructor to correct a shooter's fundamentals prior to a live fire exercise. If anyone wants to watch a video demonstration you can watch how the system can be employed in a Home Defense Scenario, http://www.xfighterdefense.com/laserammo .

Doc H December 23, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Downside of the system is the required "Safety Pipe," which acts like a mini-compensator on the muzzle of my 1911s and won't allow the guns to be holstered fully, precluding any kind of holster practice with my Milt Sparks rigs. Otherwise it's a decent system for pure dry-firing….

Chad January 16, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Why isnt there a target like a dart board that records every shot is projected from the gun. That way you could see your grouping, ect. Then push a button on the board and it clears and the next person shoots. Id definitely buy that.

RightWay September 4, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Chad,
Check out my website, TexasLaserRange.com/. What you asked about is there. We have a software program that shows your shot on a computer screen that overlays a target of your choice and records every shot. The program also has diagnostic features, a timer, a Par timer, "target down" call out, "reload" call out and a multitude of other options that can be utilized during training.

Antonio Risso January 25, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I am a police instructor in Brazil and I have a Sure Strike. I know that in your country the ammunition is very cheaper in comparison with Brazil. Then, in here, I think the Sure Strike is the best solution for the initial training with firearms.

Craig Burlette December 19, 2011 at 5:19 am

This seams like a nice system, but at $160 I could buy 2 Laserlyte systems and achieve exactly the same thing! The Laserlyte 2 is smaller and doesn't interfere with draw practice and is easier to install.