Just got a note from Vickers Tactical that their new Slide Stop for almost all Glock models is set to ship from New Tac late this week.

Extensive prototyping and testing created the optimum slide stop shape enabling positive slide lock and release, especially with gloves. Precision stamped and formed from 4130 chrome moly steel with durable hard coat, the VTSS will likely outlive your Glock.

The units retail for about $20 and it’s recommended that they be installed by a certified gunsmith.

Anyone got any insight into this product — or the need for one — please sound off in the comments…we’d be interested to hear.

Moondog March 28, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I have been shooting glocks since the 17 came to our shores, shot them in competition and know compeitiors that have hundreds of thousands of rounds through a glock. Never heard of a problem with the slide stop. Now the Glock slide stop is not a huge honking piece of metal, and whats more if you are properly trained you don't want a big slide stop sticking out getting in the way. I never use it to release the slide. Its better and easier to just pull the slide back about a a1/16", and it automatically releases. Also you try to keep some track of how many rounds you fired and don't shoot your pistol dry to slide lock. Leave a round in the chamber when you are changing mags, saves a lot of time on reloads.
To me, this sound like the answer to a problem that does not exist, but I may be wrong..

Moondog March 28, 2011 at 1:14 pm

BTW, are those guys in the picture dancing? Not a single one of them has both feet planted and a solid stance.

Hugues Boutin March 28, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I saw the pictures and I thought it was about EOTAC clothing company.

doyle March 28, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I agree w. moondog, the more interesting question is what those guys r doing?
At first glance it looks like a time lapse from left to right, esp. Since.they.r identically
Dressed.

Matt VanHeiningen March 28, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I would assume their drawing their weapons to shoot a target at their 6 o'clock.

@jasonrexilius March 28, 2011 at 3:39 pm

The slide stop is my #1 complaint about the glock, and there were a lot of after market slide releases over the years.

As to why you need it, it all depends on your training and preferences for single hand reloads (i.e other hand injured, dragging your buddy, holding someone down, etc.).

We are talking field edge cases here, not competition shooting but working the slide release with one hand (wet, sweaty/bloody hand or with gloves) is my preferred solution.

FAEX March 28, 2011 at 3:57 pm

The Glock Gen 4 comes with an enlarged and more substantial slide stop. It doesn't look much different than what Vickers is selling. I am a LEO and a certified Glock armorer. I have not seen any problems with the current slide stop, except for inexperienced personnel removing the slide stop and re-installing it incorrectly. I also agree with Moondog, I never use the slide stop, I always pull the slide slightly to the rear to release the stop.

MKE March 28, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I think this picture is from an article in SWAT magazine. If memory serves all participants recieved EOTAC clothes to try for the class.

RLN March 28, 2011 at 7:34 pm

The picture is from an article about training with the LAV (Larry A. Vickers) that was in Surefire's "Combat Tactics" magazine. The EOTAC clothes were donated by the company for the attendees to wear at the class and give their feedback to the company. The shooters in the photo above are turning to address a target to their rear and none of them have completed their turn to begin shooting; that's why both feet are not on the ground and no solid stance.

RE: Vickers Glock slide stop. The larger Vickers part replaces the small factory stock part and works much the same as the Glock extended slide stop. While both methods of releasing the slide work (slingshot vs. slide stop), Vickers teaches using the slide stop on both Glock pistols and 1911s.

Moondog, even the most highly trained shooters (US Special Ops) often cannot keep track of how many rounds they have fired in the midst of a gunfight. Ask any number of men who have "seen the Elephant" and they will tell you that "counting rounds" is Hollywood b.s. That was why tac-loading was invented, because counting rounds was unrealistic and 1911s only held 7-8 rounds. Once you shot two targets you swapped out your partial mag for a fresh one. With higher-capacity weapons like Glock 17s/19s, tac-loading is not as heavily emphasized because they have twice to nearly three times the ammo of a 1911. While ideally you never want your weapon to run dry, it can and often does happen, and utilizing the slide stop on the Glock and 1911 pistols is the surest method of chambering a round from slide-lock. As for your assertion that "you don't want a big slide stop sticking out getting in the way", wrong. The guys who shoot people in the face for a living almost always wear gloves while shooting and it is harder to operate a small stock slide stop or mag release while wearing gloves. Hence the Vickers slide stop and mag release for Glock pistols.

Combat Carl March 28, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Dead on. On all points.

Achilles March 29, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Fuck ya dude.

Nick March 29, 2011 at 5:29 am

I have the Vickers extended mag release on both my G17 and G19. Hands down better than the factory Glock release which sometimes pops the mag out when holstering (sticks too far out from frame). While 18 bucks is steep for a polymer mag release, I say it's worth it.

On the other hand, I have the Glock extended slide release on my G19, and it's ****. If you have larger hands and use the "thumbs forward" grip, you hold the release down. I'll be trying the Vickers unit on my 19 and I'll let you know how I feel about it.

Jon March 29, 2011 at 5:29 am

Combat and Competition are apples and oranges. Try out shooting your opponent, who is shooting back at you, in 140 degree heat, where you're sprinting, sweating, wearing gloves, your buddies are screaming at you, bullets flying every where . . . yeah, you get the idea. The slide stop may work perfectly in a nice safe environment, but if this product helps guarantee its going to work when I'm shaking, sweating, nervous, tired with only two hours of sleep in two weeks, then its definitely worth $19.95.

Dave M March 29, 2011 at 9:09 am

I carried either a Glock 21 or 22 for over 15 years prior to my agency switching to S&W M&P 40/45. The Glock is a good platform and I have shot very well with the gun over the years. I only had one part break on me multiple times, the slide stop. The original factory slide stop would get compressed against the side of the holster. If you train with your weapon a lot that can equate to a lot of compressing and relaxing of the metal which leads to metal fatigue and having the exterior portion of the stop. The slide would still lock to the rear on an empty magazine, so if happened on the range or road, I just continued on until I could get the gun to the armorer for repair. A beefed up slide stop was overdue.

somejoe March 29, 2011 at 9:55 am

I've been in the market for a better slide lock. I have smaller hands and with gloves or fingerless gloves..it becomes a challenge to manipulate. Now add in sweating and stress/duress..and it turns into poop show.. I'll be watching for more reviews on this item..but as it stands..I'm ready to gamble the $20.00.

jake April 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm

somejoe, same with me i had one and the same thing happened so i contacted vick and all he could say is oh well , no refund or apology for the lock that turns into poop. You would figure that a great man like this with his name on it would back the product up or make sure for the future it doesn't happen.I just went with the Glock extended and it works so much better and doesn't rust up.

Sandy July 12, 2012 at 12:54 pm