The military acquisition process is far from being “fast” but, it looks like the PSR is acquisition is moving forward. It appears that the Contracting Office has released new information describing the full and open competition for the 10 year firm fixed price contract (maximum value of $252M). And like I said previously, the DoD acquisition process is not a quick one, the final award is anticipated by April 2012.

Speeding up the DoD acquisition process should be a priority moving forward into the future in my opinion. Advancements in technology and weapon systems happen monthly and should be leveraged (tested and evaluated of course) for the war fighter’s advantage. I see too many cases where outdated weapons and technology are in play because of a lengthy and drawn out acquisition process. Time to fix this if you ask me….

For those that haven’t been tracking the PSR, the specs are below: -Brandon out.

• Three (3) each Precision Sniper Rifles (PSR) Product Samples shall consist of three PSR rifles of the SAME configuration and caliber
  • One (1) suppressor (TOTAL)
  • Three (3) magazines. Magazines shall be able to hold a minimum of five (5) rounds
  • One (1) No-Go or Field Reject Headspace Gauge and written procedures for use
  • One (1) GO Minimum Headspace Gauge and written procedures for use
  • A minimum of 200 rounds of ammunition (Vendor is responsible for supplying enough ammunition to complete the Go/No-Go testing)
  • The PSR product sample shall weigh no more than 18.0 lbs with 12 o’clock MIL-STD 1913 rail, and an unloaded magazine. Weight excludes any protective MIL-STD-1913 rail covers and all other ancillary equipment
  • The PSR rifle shall have an overall length of no more than 50 inches in the fully extended configuration, less suppressor
  • The PSR shall have a safety mechanism that prevents the weapon from firing when the trigger is depressed and the safety is in the “safe” position
  • The projectile shall have a remaining velocity no less than 1,228 feet per second under nominal conditions at 1500 meters (1640 yards)
  • Maximum of 20 rounds to be fired
  • Velocities measured at 15’ and 1000 Yards (914 meters) /Averaged/Calculate BC
  • Enter BC and 15’average velocity into Sierra Infinity Version 6 Software to obtain remaining velocity at 1500 meters
  • The projectile shall have a minimum of 700 ft-lbs. of kinetic energy at 1500 meters (1640 yards).
    Calculate energy based on remaining velocity (from above) and projectile weight/mass
  • PSR rifle, when fired without suppressor, shall hold 1.0 Minute of Angle (MOA) Extreme Vertical Spread (EVS) at 914 meters (1000 yards)
  • Precision capability shall be demonstrated by the vendor at 914 meters (1000 yards). A total of twelve (12) five shot groups shall be fired for record. The offeror shall fire two of the product sample rifles for six groups each.
  • The offeror shall select five of the six groups from each product sample to submit for the Government to acquire an average. The 10-group average shall be 1.0 MOA or less. Groups shall be measured for Extreme Vertical Spread (EVS). The offeror has the option to shoot his rifle from a fixture (to be supplied by the offeror), off the ground/bipod or from a bench rest to demonstrate precision

Moondog May 27, 2011 at 6:22 am

Interesting set of specs. I wonder what cartridge is going to meet the ballistic specs? I bet it is not the 300 WinMag.

FormerSFMedic May 27, 2011 at 6:34 am

I have been following the PSR program for some time now, and I'm glad to see its still online. This competition should net a very capable sniper rifle. Sounds like a .338 lapua is about the only cartridge that will get the job done here. I had a chance to shoot the Remington MSR in .338, and I have to say it was awesome. I'm really a big fan of the MSR and I hope that it wins. It's modular features really are tailor made for Special Operations.

Brandon Webb May 27, 2011 at 7:05 am

All good points and I agree with you about the lapua round. -Brandon

Lance May 27, 2011 at 10:32 am

Looks like a M-2010 with some fancier gadgets.

michael May 27, 2011 at 12:17 pm

for the price, a 1 moa is kinda generous no?

Charlie Taylor May 27, 2011 at 12:35 pm

That's 1 MOA at 1,000 yards. Not an easy achievement.

David Knuth May 27, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Some (many?) Rifles can hold to this technically. My competition rifle, a worked over Remington 700 with a miraculously excellent match barrel, will hold to .25 MOA out as far as a shooting sled can keep it together without too much external interference, and my best grouping with it is 8.7" at 1000 yards. It is also a .300 Win Mag.

I would like to see this new rifle in .338 or similar, that would be a spectacular next step up.

michael May 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm

gotcha….missed that, thanks!

Charlie Taylor May 27, 2011 at 12:33 pm

The Remington MSR is pretty much a shoe in at this point given the fact that the Army seems to be in love with it's .300 winmag sister the XM2010. Also remember that the suppressor fielded with the XM2010 is the AAC Titan-QD which was originally designed as a .338 Lapua suppressor. So chalk up another point for the MSR in the parts commonality department

Brandon Et Beverly May 27, 2011 at 4:22 pm

If I was still active, I'd have my fingers crossed for the dark horse in this competition – DTA

FormerSFMedic May 28, 2011 at 5:11 am

DTA rifles look outstanding. I haven't got behind one yet, but hopefully that will change soon. I'm not sure how well their rifles will be excepted by snipers though. Original specs for the PSR asked for a folding adjustable stock. Of course DTA rifles have a bullpup design which will kinda negate the need for a folder. I guess we'll have to see what happens. Spec Ops would be well served with a DTA.

Johnny quest May 28, 2011 at 10:03 am

+1 for DTA. In the near future, it will supplant any and all bolt action rifles I own, save for one Chandler for posterity. DTA 338 LM is approximately 39' overall with a 26" barrel and weighs 12.25 lbs!!!

Neal May 28, 2011 at 10:57 am

How's the trigger pull on the Desert Tacticals? I only wonder because of the bullpup configuration…

mr.t May 28, 2011 at 1:46 pm

why bolt action?

Neal May 29, 2011 at 7:45 am

It is MUCH more cost effective to make a single-shot rifle more accurate at these ranges than a semi-auto. Not to mention that when you change loads in a bolt action, all you have to do is re-zero. If you change the bullet weight and/or charge too much in a semi-auto, you have to adjust the gas system.

will June 3, 2011 at 6:59 pm

are they still planning on going with the same 3.5X10 leupold for this. horrible idea for a 1 moa at 1000 meter rifle. I think my 3 year old kid could come up with a better choice.

bbb June 5, 2011 at 3:53 pm

What the fudge is a 3.5X10? Because 3.5 is a pretty respectable zoom for a 1-cm wide scope.

Taylor June 4, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Also magnum rounds aren't and as far as I know can't be fired out of a semi auto.

bbb June 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I think the M82's round is a bit bigger than a magnum.

FormerSFMedic June 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm

First of all I think Will meant a 3.5x to 10x variable power scope. Not a 3.5×10. That scope would be way to small for a weapon like this. Will I doubt they would go with a 3.5-10x scope. For 1500 meters you really need the ability to dial up. The 10 power doesn't provide snnipers with the target identification they require. A 5.5-22x55mm nightforce would be fantastic for this role. Nightforce scope have been proven by spec ops for years, and would be my choice.

Optic's Tech July 2, 2011 at 1:10 pm

The 3.5-10×40 Leupold MK4 is the worst purchase anyone could make. Don't get me wrong! Leupold makes some good stuff! But the MK4 version of this is by far the worst they have to offer.
I expressed this opinion with to some of the PSR decision makers. They understood exactly what I meant. I know in the past the Army bought a lot of them. Because I had to fix the junk!

guest July 17, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I am amazed at how many shooters out there interested in this trial,, seem to have it all figured out,,, i am not so concerned with who's rifle they are shooting,, i think the surprise will be the caliber,,,, so many special forces are already shooting it,, what ,,you do not know?? of course i am refering to the 338 norma,, and the 300 norma,,,,oh and by the way 338 lapua is good,, the norma's are just much better,,,,,lapua ,, nice brass,, just no where near as constant a performer as the norma,,,,,i challenge all who do not yet know this to shoot the noma mags,, you will be a believer,, ,, oh and then there is this one small aspect that norma was designed by a little known american country boy down there in texas,, umm wonder if they would rather shoot an american round that out performs the lapua,,,, i pedict they will,, what is funny is most potential rifle makers have been told to bring normas to the next shoot ,,,,,,along with thier other hopefuls,,,,, it is interesting

Skysoldier173 July 18, 2011 at 8:45 am

.338 has the range and the punch needed in A-stan. The Brits use it, why not us?

justin August 10, 2011 at 2:57 pm

As nice as the remington submission may be, the complexity of the barrel change and its many little screws leaves me leaning toward barrett and the mrad. I am curious to see what happens, though the gracious amount big green has into lobbysts could be like a foot already in the door…

savagebrother April 17, 2012 at 2:11 pm

to bad savage didnt put up their 110BA in .338 lapua. it takes 10 minutes to change a barrel and its a sub-moa shooter. lots of them out on the ranges kicking butt and they're cheaper than any of the rest cost wise but not in performance and quality. just need a barrel nut wrench and if you look at the chassis it would be easy to make it so you wouldnt have to take the action out of the chassis. and the chassis is aluminum and fully adjustable with the great magpul prs butt stock. recoil compensator designed to blow out and up to reduce and or eleminate dust signature. jus my 2 cents

Cheap Hermes Birkin May 16, 2012 at 8:31 am

Yep, it's extremely authentic.You will smack your claw for the scalp.

eric July 31, 2012 at 1:53 am

MRAD go getm!

I hope Barrett would get the contract with the MRAD!
DTA would also be a killer choice.
**** no the the Remy, that MSR thing is a POS!
I love the standard Remy 700 and I really love the XR100, but the MSR rifle as a whole is crap. It be better to go with AI chassis M700 than the MSR. A new build rifle though the MRAD is tough to beat! One of the thickest-walled bolt faces out there for the 338! Most of the competitors the "ring of steel" surounding the cartridge face is really thin!

18x July 31, 2012 at 7:54 am

If I'm not mistaken the Norma round was developed by the Swedish Company Norma.