The Weapons that Killed bin Laden

Our friends over at Soldier Systems Daily got some gouge on good authority that terror mastermind Osama bin Laden was killed with a novel new weapon that’s only been talked about in the shadows of special ops and the advanced carbine world.

“A very good source” tells SSD that the double tap to UBL’s grey matter came from a Colt CM901 carbine chambered in 7.62.

We had the chance to see the CM901 up close at the 2011 SHOT Show. It’s an impressive modular weapon that uses a gas impingement operating system.

Kit Up! also heard from a reliable source that it was Gold Squadron who conducted the primary¬†attack– DEVGRU’s premier assault team — and that operators were also likely carrying the Heckler and Koch MP7 submachine gun chambered in 4.6x30mm.

44 Comments on "The Weapons that Killed bin Laden"

1. Johnny Quest | May 3, 2011 at 6:46 am | Reply

Doubtful IMO. I would say the Mk18 could have been the primary. Of course that is speculation, just don't see a "new" weapon that hasn't seen much if any true trials of any consequence as the go to weapon. MP7? I hope not.

2. Silly Rabbit | May 3, 2011 at 8:18 am | Reply

M P7? Colt 901? Where do you guys come up with this stuff. Everybody knows the SEALs use SCARs. You said so here yourself.

3. It's all just a promo to sell weapons here in the civilian market, because all gun nuts will want "the gun that killed Osama". Just my $.02

4. DEVGRU is called that for a reason – They're the test bed for new gear, so nothing is off of the table.

5. Proof or loss of all credibility!!!!!

6. What? Using something other than the M4?? Heresey!

7. Close quarters double tap to the head of an unarmed suspect with a 7.62 round and still have enough head left to take a picture? I don't think so.
    We may never know for sure, but when I first heard the rumor that it was an MP5SD, that was something that made sense to me. I know that in a CQB raid like this, I would use that if I had a choice. Then again, I am no SEAL, so there.

8. what about the sig sauer p226 navy that is standard issue for the SEALS, close quarters, handgun??

9. FMR Navy MM/SAR | May 3, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Reply

as i am former Navy and personally know at least 2 handfuls of SEALS, I can say that for the record" the SEAL team(s) have a full plethora of weapons to choose from. Yes they use the SCAR, but they also use colt sr-15e and SR-25t and c version rifles as well as the highly preferred MP5. I do have knowledge of SEAL Team 5 (san Diego) is testing a new modified and cut down version of the sr25. the weapons they use depend on the nature of the circumstances, and part of what makes a seal team so versatile is the fact that usually there are 2 close quarter highly modified smgs, and 2-3 assault rifles, 1 shotgun (banelli tactical automatic) and 1 high power long range rifle be it an actual sniper rifle or a modified carbine like the Colt SR25. The seal teams will at times also use sks, sku74 ak47, and a handful of other common chinese made weapons if they are going into deep hot zones and need to take out a high profile target without leaving evidence that would point the finger at the us. RET. MM/SAR E8

10. More than likely its just a standard M4

11. That unit is known for carrying the HK416

12. "Good source" = PR man who's always described as an ex-operator

Occam's razor : 5.56 10-inch carbine with suppressor – standard issue

13. All I have is……….a standing ovation for everyone involved. NO matter what part they may have played in this. Not cheering a death, just the dedication to service of to one another and this country.

14. I've seen DEVGRU operators carrying HK416 in recent years.

15. Maybe Mr SEAL Operator pulled out his trusty 1911……John Wayne would be proud…..:)…..Job well done no matter what was used…Respects to everyone involved..

16. It does seem like our forces use an extremely narrow range of weapons, or when it comes to carbines and rifles at least. If you look at most other western militaries you'll see that there are a number of different weapons used in specialized units or special forces. But for the US, even SOCOM, it's the M4/M16, the odd M14, and almost nothing else. There's small numbers of SCARs and HK416s, but they're few and far between. Even the MP-5 has pretty much disappeared. Sure it makes logistics easy, but is the M4 really the fantastic, unbeatable, wonder carbine for all situations that it's made out to be? Not that the M4 is a POS but I find it curious that even SOCOM seems allergic to using any kind of non-standard carbines or rifles.

17. i dont care if it was HK,m-4,starfleet phaser,or harsh language(they were seals you know),bottom line the job got done and the boys came home!(all of them).

18. I have it on good authority they double tapped him in the chest and 2 shots to the head with a weapon that kills people how about that. BTW, Colt please stop trying to capitalize on this. Thanks!

19. I would just like to mention that the military does not use the term double tap,( although I think it is ok to use) the new way and PC way to state it is a controlled pair.

I like double tap better.

20. If this is true I'm sure Colt is going to love the free marketing for their new carbine.

21. I dont think Colt is too worried over patents the whole ICC competition will provide the Army with the rights over the design so patents don't matter.

22. FormerSFMedic | May 4, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Reply

HK 416! Nice! I guess the D-Boys have had some influence in the CT community. My guess would be that DEVGRU used the Brown Tip 5.56 Optimized round for the raid. This is the weapon system it was designed for.

23. I don't care if they did if they did it with a butter knife. This is a terrible attempt at promotion and Colt's PR department should be ashamed of itself.

24. So, what did you do in the service, if I may ask?

That said, I think the point remains: we can speculate all we want to on what weapons the SEALs may or may not have used…but unless you were there, unless you ARE a SEAL, then the exact details and TOE for any given SEAL Team or mission are so highly classified that I'd sooner get to see Kennedy's brain.

Besides, I don't think I or Mr. Durant tried to correct anyone, merely stated the obvious: unless you're a SEAL or work around them, then you have no way to know exactly WHAT they use, unless they choose to make that information public.

Don't think you can argue that. Now, we can speculate all day, and I, as a Professional Amateur™, have better things to do than worry about the tools to do a particular job since I'm not doing that job.

25. whaat do you mean more dialed in?

26. They do not all use scars and most do not maybe a couple thats a Fact. Also the mission was ran by Delta with Seal help. Thats a fact. CM901 killed Binladen in 7.62 thats a FACT.

27. Not to knock Christian, but there are times he doesn't know what firearms he's looking at, ie the MK 18 Mod 1 and an M4 with a DD M4A1 RIS II which he asked kit up readers to identify. Don't put anything past the Teams and the guys in them, and just be happy that UBL is out of the picture.

28. Johnny Quest | May 6, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Reply

416 is a bloated, overweight, bastardized rifle, as are all piston operated "conversions". I guess if you get to use them for free and it is the latest flavor…. but all things being equal, the MK18 will do anything a 416 will do at approx. 3lbs. lighter.

29. How can you do this? How much did colt pay you to puke this bull in here?

What on earth makes anyone think, the most professional soldiers out there would go in the most important mission of their millitary career with an untested prototype?
    What nerve some people have!!

30. beowulf anyone????

31. beowulf anyone

32. Johnny Quest | May 9, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Reply

Kevin Dockery "Mk 18 Mod 1 Colt Navy CQBR as the primary weapon 10.3 inch barrel, Knight M4QD suppressor. That's about all I know right now that I can talk about really at all. And has come out and said "the MK18 MOD 1 was the primary. That's about all I know right now that I can talk about really at all. And it is only an educated guess based on what some people have told me. Weren't any SMGs to speak of and I can't confirm the pistols except that they weren't the Mk 23. May have been the HK USP45CT because of its size, even with a can. I've got some requests out to confirm the ammo at EBR 5.56mm Cycler subsonic, but that's waiting."

33. SoilsEngineer | May 10, 2011 at 6:28 am | Reply

You're probably right. My brother is Navy and "knows" a few people I'd trust, and they say it's the MK-18 special for Seal.

Also someone already nailed the MK-18 on eBay.

On my search for the "Gun that killed Osama Bin laden" an eBay I see they're already selling 1/4 scale resin replicas of that weapon as hand built custom resin replicas. Gotta love capitalism!

34. There might be more to the bin Laden story than most accounts reveal. Take a look at http://www.binladenslastdays.com

35. It doesn't matter what was used. He's DEAD, that is ALL THAT MATTERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. Skysoldier173 | July 8, 2011 at 8:09 am | Reply

This was BS. I bought into it, but I bet the 416 is the one that killed OBL. 3 shots, 1 in the head would have left almost nothing up top. Colt Propaganda. Hk Mp-5? Yeah, thats a weapon they use, will we ever know? He's dead, who cares.,

37. im pretty sure it was a sig sauer pistol that killed osama bin laden cuz my uncle is the quality checker at sig sauer and his boss said that they traced the cerial number and it came to a pistol from the nh sig sauer company

38. thats the handgun that killed him because my uncle safety checked it

39. The regular SEAL Teams sent out some platoons with the SCAR. Just as some companies from the 75th did. In the end, at least for the Rangers, they opted to not buy SCARs.

I 99.999% doubt guys in DEV are using SCARs.

IYD,
    3/75

40. id believe you if actually knew how to spell serial…

41. This story was debunked months ago. It was a 416 that killed OBL. Not this weapon. Colt put this story out not long after the incident. Nice rifle though. Why not issue it in numbers so regular troops can reach out and kill someone.

42. If I was to take a guess the last choice would be a CM901. First would be a gas piston rifle like the HK416. Second, if it was a SMG, a HK MP 7, but doubtful. To bad we can't ask UBL, of course he'd say "all I saw was a torch light then a muzzle flash." Allah f$ckin akbar

43. I love how people "know a seal or have a friend of a seal" The truth is NO one on this board knows anything really are any of you seals?? Didn't think so.