Our friends over at Soldier Systems Daily got some gouge on good authority that terror mastermind Osama bin Laden was killed with a novel new weapon that’s only been talked about in the shadows of special ops and the advanced carbine world.

“A very good source” tells SSD that the double tap to UBL’s grey matter came from a Colt CM901 carbine chambered in 7.62.

We had the chance to see the CM901 up close at the 2011 SHOT Show. It’s an impressive modular weapon that uses a gas impingement operating system.

Kit Up! also heard from a reliable source that it was Gold Squadron who conducted the primary¬†attack– DEVGRU’s premier assault team — and that operators were also likely carrying the Heckler and Koch MP7 submachine gun chambered in 4.6x30mm.

Johnny Quest May 3, 2011 at 6:46 am

Doubtful IMO. I would say the Mk18 could have been the primary. Of course that is speculation, just don't see a "new" weapon that hasn't seen much if any true trials of any consequence as the go to weapon. MP7? I hope not.

FormerSFMedic May 3, 2011 at 9:20 am

Did u read my comment over at soldier systems Johnny?;) If u did u will see that I agree with u wholeheartedly. I just have a hard time seeing how a new T&E gun would be brought along for a crucial mission like this. Especially since it offers no advantage over the current SCAR-H. I said that if it was a 7.62mm gun that it would probably be the SCAR-H. I do know however that the SEALS are more dialed in than most SOF units when it comes to gear, so its not entirely out the window. But I stand by my theory.
Interesting thing about all this is that the editor over at soldier systems told me that The Unit (DEVGRU) doesn't use the SCAR-L or the SCAR-H. I'm not sure where that came from, but Iam 100% certain the SCAR-H is in fact being used by DEVGRU.

Silly Rabbit May 3, 2011 at 8:18 am

M P7? Colt 901? Where do you guys come up with this stuff. Everybody knows the SEALs use SCARs. You said so here yourself.

Lance May 3, 2011 at 10:20 am

Nope only Mk-17s are used in very small numbers. Most still use M-4A1s.

David Knuth May 3, 2011 at 10:25 am

I think that, unless you've served as a SEAL and are active with them on their missions, it's hard to know WHAT a unit like that uses.

Eric Durant May 3, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Dude, I sooo agree with you! All these arm chair warriors just running away at the mouth like they were there and most havent even been in the mil or done shit!

Hoot May 3, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Just like you:o The armchair commandos are easy to pick out. They are the ones that try to correct everyone with stupid remarks like the ones you spout off.

Durant May 4, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Hoot: You referring to me bro?

johnparker May 4, 2011 at 7:01 am

no sir S.E.A.L.s use anything and id reel back the whole "everybody" concept some of us dont get our intel from call of duty or the internet.

VTGunner May 3, 2011 at 8:23 am

It's all just a promo to sell weapons here in the civilian market, because all gun nuts will want "the gun that killed Osama". Just my $.02

johnparker May 4, 2011 at 7:04 am

not a bad thought it would be quite a commercial…lol

Norbert May 3, 2011 at 8:57 am

DEVGRU is called that for a reason – They're the test bed for new gear, so nothing is off of the table.

Spli May 3, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Proof or loss of all credibility!!!!!

anon May 3, 2011 at 2:07 pm

What? Using something other than the M4?? Heresey!

Brian May 3, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Close quarters double tap to the head of an unarmed suspect with a 7.62 round and still have enough head left to take a picture? I don't think so.
We may never know for sure, but when I first heard the rumor that it was an MP5SD, that was something that made sense to me. I know that in a CQB raid like this, I would use that if I had a choice. Then again, I am no SEAL, so there.

TROJANII May 3, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Yeah, if he had been armed and shot in the head, you could have enough head left to take a picture.

TROJANII May 4, 2011 at 10:29 am

So would a shot to the head of an armed suspect leave enough for a photo?

buck May 3, 2011 at 3:49 pm

what about the sig sauer p226 navy that is standard issue for the SEALS, close quarters, handgun??

Jon May 4, 2011 at 7:48 am

My old NG unit had those too, to my surprise. Good thing too, because all the M9s we had in inventory were all broken.

FMR Navy MM/SAR May 3, 2011 at 6:42 pm

as i am former Navy and personally know at least 2 handfuls of SEALS, I can say that for the record" the SEAL team(s) have a full plethora of weapons to choose from. Yes they use the SCAR, but they also use colt sr-15e and SR-25t and c version rifles as well as the highly preferred MP5. I do have knowledge of SEAL Team 5 (san Diego) is testing a new modified and cut down version of the sr25. the weapons they use depend on the nature of the circumstances, and part of what makes a seal team so versatile is the fact that usually there are 2 close quarter highly modified smgs, and 2-3 assault rifles, 1 shotgun (banelli tactical automatic) and 1 high power long range rifle be it an actual sniper rifle or a modified carbine like the Colt SR25. The seal teams will at times also use sks, sku74 ak47, and a handful of other common chinese made weapons if they are going into deep hot zones and need to take out a high profile target without leaving evidence that would point the finger at the us. RET. MM/SAR E8

Jon May 4, 2011 at 7:47 am

Good post, but just for technicalities the SR-25 is made by Knights Armament Company, not Colt.

Keith May 3, 2011 at 7:15 pm

More than likely its just a standard M4

John May 3, 2011 at 8:23 pm

That unit is known for carrying the HK416

ikm May 3, 2011 at 8:59 pm

"Good source" = PR man who's always described as an ex-operator

Occam's razor : 5.56 10-inch carbine with suppressor – standard issue

TNFL May 4, 2011 at 1:55 am

All I have is……….a standing ovation for everyone involved. NO matter what part they may have played in this. Not cheering a death, just the dedication to service of to one another and this country.

LongRangeGunner May 4, 2011 at 7:20 am

AMEN to that !!!

BOB May 4, 2011 at 2:20 am

I've seen DEVGRU operators carrying HK416 in recent years.

ABNSgtMATT May 4, 2011 at 5:14 am

Maybe Mr SEAL Operator pulled out his trusty 1911……John Wayne would be proud…..:)…..Job well done no matter what was used…Respects to everyone involved..

guest May 4, 2011 at 6:38 am

It does seem like our forces use an extremely narrow range of weapons, or when it comes to carbines and rifles at least. If you look at most other western militaries you'll see that there are a number of different weapons used in specialized units or special forces. But for the US, even SOCOM, it's the M4/M16, the odd M14, and almost nothing else. There's small numbers of SCARs and HK416s, but they're few and far between. Even the MP-5 has pretty much disappeared. Sure it makes logistics easy, but is the M4 really the fantastic, unbeatable, wonder carbine for all situations that it's made out to be? Not that the M4 is a POS but I find it curious that even SOCOM seems allergic to using any kind of non-standard carbines or rifles.

Robert May 4, 2011 at 7:47 am

Its true, the M4 and its variants do have magical properties. Thank Colt and the U.S. Army for developing this fearsome weapon. :-)

johnparker May 4, 2011 at 7:08 am

i dont care if it was HK,m-4,starfleet phaser,or harsh language(they were seals you know),bottom line the job got done and the boys came home!(all of them).

KlP May 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm

You think one of them said something so mean that UBL's head exploded because he was so hurt? Seems reasonable.

thurman May 4, 2011 at 7:29 am

I have it on good authority they double tapped him in the chest and 2 shots to the head with a weapon that kills people how about that. BTW, Colt please stop trying to capitalize on this. Thanks!

Jake May 4, 2011 at 7:51 am

I would just like to mention that the military does not use the term double tap,( although I think it is ok to use) the new way and PC way to state it is a controlled pair.

I like double tap better.

DauntlessCelt May 4, 2011 at 8:31 am

Controlled pair is just plain stupid.

William C. May 4, 2011 at 10:47 am

If this is true I'm sure Colt is going to love the free marketing for their new carbine.

Lance May 4, 2011 at 11:06 am

I dont think Colt is too worried over patents the whole ICC competition will provide the Army with the rights over the design so patents don't matter.

FormerSFMedic May 4, 2011 at 1:04 pm

HK 416! Nice! I guess the D-Boys have had some influence in the CT community. My guess would be that DEVGRU used the Brown Tip 5.56 Optimized round for the raid. This is the weapon system it was designed for.

AZU May 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm

liar!!!

FormerSFMedic May 4, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Liar? What r u referring to? Just saying liar really means nothing to any of us. Could u elaborate?

Deacon May 4, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I don't care if they did if they did it with a butter knife. This is a terrible attempt at promotion and Colt's PR department should be ashamed of itself.

David Knuth May 5, 2011 at 5:58 am

So, what did you do in the service, if I may ask?

That said, I think the point remains: we can speculate all we want to on what weapons the SEALs may or may not have used…but unless you were there, unless you ARE a SEAL, then the exact details and TOE for any given SEAL Team or mission are so highly classified that I'd sooner get to see Kennedy's brain.

Besides, I don't think I or Mr. Durant tried to correct anyone, merely stated the obvious: unless you're a SEAL or work around them, then you have no way to know exactly WHAT they use, unless they choose to make that information public.

Don't think you can argue that. Now, we can speculate all day, and I, as a Professional Amateur™, have better things to do than worry about the tools to do a particular job since I'm not doing that job.

taylor May 5, 2011 at 11:53 am

whaat do you mean more dialed in?

Bob Jones May 5, 2011 at 6:20 pm

They do not all use scars and most do not maybe a couple thats a Fact. Also the mission was ran by Delta with Seal help. Thats a fact. CM901 killed Binladen in 7.62 thats a FACT.

eric marin May 6, 2011 at 1:02 am

Not to knock Christian, but there are times he doesn't know what firearms he's looking at, ie the MK 18 Mod 1 and an M4 with a DD M4A1 RIS II which he asked kit up readers to identify. Don't put anything past the Teams and the guys in them, and just be happy that UBL is out of the picture.

Johnny Quest May 6, 2011 at 2:16 pm

416 is a bloated, overweight, bastardized rifle, as are all piston operated "conversions". I guess if you get to use them for free and it is the latest flavor…. but all things being equal, the MK18 will do anything a 416 will do at approx. 3lbs. lighter.

Jay May 6, 2011 at 2:39 pm

How can you do this? How much did colt pay you to puke this bull in here?

What on earth makes anyone think, the most professional soldiers out there would go in the most important mission of their millitary career with an untested prototype?
What nerve some people have!!

riz May 6, 2011 at 7:34 pm

beowulf anyone????

riz May 8, 2011 at 8:41 am

beowulf anyone

Johnny Quest May 9, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Kevin Dockery "Mk 18 Mod 1 Colt Navy CQBR as the primary weapon 10.3 inch barrel, Knight M4QD suppressor. That's about all I know right now that I can talk about really at all. And has come out and said "the MK18 MOD 1 was the primary. That's about all I know right now that I can talk about really at all. And it is only an educated guess based on what some people have told me. Weren't any SMGs to speak of and I can't confirm the pistols except that they weren't the Mk 23. May have been the HK USP45CT because of its size, even with a can. I've got some requests out to confirm the ammo at EBR 5.56mm Cycler subsonic, but that's waiting."

SoilsEngineer May 10, 2011 at 6:28 am

You're probably right. My brother is Navy and "knows" a few people I'd trust, and they say it's the MK-18 special for Seal.

Also someone already nailed the MK-18 on eBay.

On my search for the "Gun that killed Osama Bin laden" an eBay I see they're already selling 1/4 scale resin replicas of that weapon as hand built custom resin replicas. Gotta love capitalism!

@binladenlastday May 17, 2011 at 9:39 pm

There might be more to the bin Laden story than most accounts reveal. Take a look at http://www.binladenslastdays.com

Terry Young July 7, 2011 at 9:39 pm

It doesn't matter what was used. He's DEAD, that is ALL THAT MATTERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skysoldier173 July 8, 2011 at 8:09 am

This was BS. I bought into it, but I bet the 416 is the one that killed OBL. 3 shots, 1 in the head would have left almost nothing up top. Colt Propaganda. Hk Mp-5? Yeah, thats a weapon they use, will we ever know? He's dead, who cares.,

chase September 1, 2011 at 6:54 am

im pretty sure it was a sig sauer pistol that killed osama bin laden cuz my uncle is the quality checker at sig sauer and his boss said that they traced the cerial number and it came to a pistol from the nh sig sauer company

chase September 1, 2011 at 6:56 am

thats the handgun that killed him because my uncle safety checked it

IYD375 October 17, 2011 at 12:17 pm

The regular SEAL Teams sent out some platoons with the SCAR. Just as some companies from the 75th did. In the end, at least for the Rangers, they opted to not buy SCARs.

I 99.999% doubt guys in DEV are using SCARs.

IYD,
3/75

JT. October 26, 2011 at 8:41 am

id believe you if actually knew how to spell serial…

Infidel4LIFE October 27, 2011 at 10:47 am

This story was debunked months ago. It was a 416 that killed OBL. Not this weapon. Colt put this story out not long after the incident. Nice rifle though. Why not issue it in numbers so regular troops can reach out and kill someone.

Wally March 27, 2012 at 9:44 pm

If I was to take a guess the last choice would be a CM901. First would be a gas piston rifle like the HK416. Second, if it was a SMG, a HK MP 7, but doubtful. To bad we can't ask UBL, of course he'd say "all I saw was a torch light then a muzzle flash." Allah f$ckin akbar

Sunburn January 2, 2013 at 3:39 am
James January 16, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I love how people "know a seal or have a friend of a seal" The truth is NO one on this board knows anything really are any of you seals?? Didn't think so.