Well, it might not be…but it sure is one of the fastest bits of shooting I’ve ever seen.

I ran across this video this weekend to pick up some tips on shooting drills and was blown away at how fast Kyle Lamb can push lead through these targets. Kit Up! readers might remember my attempt at this drill last year at ITI and it was pathetic (especially since my boss beat me as well).

But Lamb has the money quote in this one where he says “taking out three dudes in less than two seconds isn’t bad.”

So tell us what your fastest time has been in this (or a similar) rifle drill in the comments.

Sean June 27, 2011 at 11:24 am

Kyle Lamb, the best of the best.

FormerSFMedic June 27, 2011 at 11:51 am

No doubt Kyle Lamb is one of the best shooter-trainers in the industry. Make no mistake there is a big difference between shooters….trainers….and shooter-trainers. This guy is a fantastic trainer and an amazing shooter. Its great to see former Army SOF Operators taking their skills to this level and then passing that knowledge on. I have not met Kyle, but he has been on post at the same time I have been, and everyone that trained with him said he was an awsome guy. If you haven't checked out his videos on youtube or his DVD's or books, you should!

Billy June 27, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Well said. If I'm not mistaking Kyle Lamb works a lot with the Army Special Forces CIF (Combatant Commanders In-extremis Force) guys, in recent years.

Josh June 28, 2011 at 3:56 am

You know i always wondered why the LAV doesn't shoot this fast when he teaches. Must just be different styles.

FormerSFMedic June 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Your right Josh, it is different styles. Even though Larry and Kyle come from the same background, they have slightly different methodologies. Larry is very "accuracy oriented" while Kyle focuses on aggressiveness. Larry tends to teach Marksmanship skills and very technical weapons manipulation. Kyle tends to teach a more dynamic based curriculum, which takes aspects of competition shooting and combat shooting. He is also very conscious about accuracy, but with speed being equally important.

Keep in mind this is only my observation based on the videos and word of mouth. I have only trained with L.A.V and not Kyle.

jrexilius June 28, 2011 at 6:27 am

wow.. just wow..

Sandman73 June 28, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Great training shooting. All basic fundamentals applied. In full rattle battle with heart rate up 2.1 is my best. Train like you fight, fight like you train.>> Silens, Celer, Mortalis

barney June 29, 2011 at 5:24 am

I agree with LeR but he must take into account that this drill would work in certain combat situations (room to room) with just a little tweeking. Like i stated when their moving and shooting back full auto using this method would do(hand grenade is best tossed into the room).So Train like you fight, fight like you train will work with just a little tweeking like i stated.

LeR June 29, 2011 at 12:57 am

In how many occasions do you have to shoot three persons, after you had them still in front of you for several minutes?

(Executions excluded…)

DauntlessCelt June 29, 2011 at 5:41 pm

He's practicing firing for the kill and then acquiring new targets and silencing them.

Practicality aside, it remains a tremendous feat.

todd July 8, 2013 at 7:57 pm

tool, its training.

FormerSFMedic June 29, 2011 at 2:00 am

Seriously?

LeR June 29, 2011 at 4:29 am
Saint Dude June 29, 2011 at 11:50 am

@ 2.08
"1.31, that's not too bad."

LeR June 30, 2011 at 5:25 am

No doubt about this, the problem is that he knows perfectly where the new target is. So there's nothing great in the performance. It's only a matter of repeating the excercise mechanically in one fixed direction.
An excercise like this is completely useless to practice a real situation.

After this, he's really fast.

FormerSFMedic June 30, 2011 at 2:19 pm

First of all, Kyle is a former SFOD-D (Delta Force) operator. If anyone knows what skills are needed for real situations, its him. Second, I have talked with operators who have been in numerous combat scenarios who have said that training like this (and this drill specifically) was one of the reasons they came back alive. You said that "the problem is he knows perfectly where the new Target is". I guarantee that in a CQB encounter your going to know perfectly where your target is, because he's going to be trying to kill you. Even with all that being said, the purpose of this scenario is not tactics. It's weapons manipulation and shooting skills. This drill is specifically designed to enhance your ability to drive the gun aggressively from target to target and pick up your sights and still shoot accurately. Through consistency you will create long term neural path ways, which will allow you to subconsciously perform this task under stress.

Being able to engage multiple targets is a valuable skill in combat. I have seen first hand what happens when you don't get your shots off before your threat. Attitudes like yours is the reason our conventional military is lacking in these kinds of skills. They simply throw out useful training because they don't understand it.

barney June 30, 2011 at 3:25 pm

experts???? just like those experts who were shouting just a few months ago about how full auto is a mistake and three round burst was the way to go?.Then they get busted when their own leaders say they are going back to full auto because the three round burst was a total failure.Hmmmm gots to love those experts.

Robert June 30, 2011 at 5:43 am

That outstanding shooteing.

barney June 30, 2011 at 10:48 am

LeR your 100% right!!! sfmedic doesn't have a clue

kilo11 June 30, 2011 at 4:18 pm

@Barney- Iam a long time reader of kitup! and I very rarely comment on the articles. However I feel like I must say this. I look forward everyday to reading blogs from Christian, Brandon, The Duo…etc. This is an awesome site with great info. The blog would not be complete though without comments on the stories. I look forward to FormerSFMedic's comments just as much if not more than the stories themselves. His insight and information is above reproach. I have learned so much from him as well as others like FroggyRuminates, Frogman, and Johnny Quest, just to name a few. In a world where everyone thinks they are experts and are not, FormerSFMedic truly is.

LeR July 1, 2011 at 6:11 am

I see. Thank you for your complete aswer, I appreciate it.

barney July 2, 2011 at 9:55 am

kilo11 Christian is the man!!!! and has shown that he is human and has admitted in past articles he has made mistakes (i sign of a true man).Unlike others who say their word is it and nobody else can tell them different. I am not going to bragg about my past at all that's what punks do. Brandon?well god bless him i hope he sells allot of books and TV shots to settle down with a whole lot of cash in his pockets. When your a pitch man that's your job not knocking his past service at all in fact i thank him. Maybe he could stand to let off of the cupcakes a little though, Ha! just playin, Brandon don't freak brother. But i am sure we all know there is a big difference in range generals and the real deal. So maybe you should keep the comments down your better off. A two second clip on youtube ain't nothing. As far as SFm he could be genral patton as far as we all know come back to life?.Like i posted many times don't like what you see? don't respond ignore me the idiot.

barney July 2, 2011 at 9:56 am

I am nobody just a low life broom pusher toilet cleaner this should make many happy. For the know it all dudes get dead real quick in the fog. This is why that lesson of the private in his/her first day with the unit can come up with an idea to save the whole battalion(also being the leader to realize if it is or isn't). Look what happened in world war 2 with the hedgerows and how some lower ranking troop came up with the idea that saved the mission and lives.It wasn't designed by some high tech general in the rear it was improvised then and there. Get the point?,

Joe Drumgoole July 18, 2011 at 5:14 pm

The exercise seems contrived and unlikely to represent the noisy environment that is more likely in a situation where three potential targets are that close. Accuracy is important but is that the real key to success in these close quarter engagements? At those ranges, with armed assailants I'd want to move more between shots to increase my life expectancy.

Notyard December 23, 2011 at 10:26 am

Yo! It's a drill. When you need it, it will be there. Period.

Notyard December 23, 2011 at 10:46 am

Key to surviving said engagement: putting lead on target. Moving takes time. If one can put two on each of three targets within 2-3 seconds, moving will do more to kill you than anything else. A deliberate entry followed up by shooting like this is what it's all about. 3 seconds is not a lot of time for the bad guys to react. If preceded by a stun-grenade, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

pinktalon April 29, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Hi FSF18D! Lonng time! :)

Absolutely agree – if I had the money, I would be going for all of these guys courses. The best I can do is get the DVDs when I can put aside some money but I have a pretty good selection started. Hope you've been happy and well!

artrain October 11, 2013 at 10:22 am

He is wicked with that stick.