It’s like two guns in one.

New from Command Arms, makers of the Roni pistol-carbine conversion kits, is the latest in the line of Glock accessories: the Roni Recon.

The new drop in conversion kit turns your Glock into a subgun with forward grips, Picatinny rails and lighting tool mounts. The Recon is a bit shorter than the Roni G126, which has a telescoping stock and turns your Glock into an “assault rifle.”

The New RONI Recon (RONIRG1) Pistol housing converts your Glock to a weapon with a longer sight radius and a two handed weapon control.   Add any optic on the 9.5 inch rail that runs the length of the RONIRG1. The ergonomic design will provide a heads up sight picture for improved target acquisition. The strategically placed rear sling swivel will let you add our one point sling (OPS) for added stability while engaging targets. Add a set of our front and rear (FFS / FRS) flip up sights for additional target acquisition. The included side rails will let you connect your favorite light or laser.

We’ve had a couple opportunities to fire the Roni and it sure is a hoot to turn a pistol into a pretty accurate rifle and now subgun with a simple drop-in housing.

One thing to note is that buy putting your Glock into the Roni, you’re converting it into a weapon that requires a special license. And at $349, it’s not a cheap investment (but sure less than a new weapon).

Adam July 12, 2011 at 7:27 am

Glad you noted the NFA implications, however it's slightly lamer than you make it appear, the ATF has in the past arrested people for just having components that if put together could make a NFA weapon. So owning a Glock and a Roni SBR without a tax stamp wouldn't be something I would do.

It is indeed a neat idea though.

bbb July 12, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I was under the impression that nothing was illegal until assembled… even machine guns.

Steveweiser July 12, 2011 at 8:13 am

Lame

Chris July 12, 2011 at 8:39 am

That product as it is pictured does not need a stamp from the baft. Add a vfg or a stock, then it would need a stamp but as it is pictured there is no need. But do not take my word for it.

Homer July 12, 2011 at 8:59 am

Not much offset between bore and sightline on that one…

Kevin July 12, 2011 at 9:52 am

No stock? Why not just put a vertical foregrip on the Glock's integral accessory rail and save 300 bucks? Either way you are in it for the tax stamp. The description should read "turn your handy little glock into a futeristic looking bulky pile of excrement". I am a fan of adding a stock to make the pistol more accurate, but this wont make it much more accurate . It will however make it impossible to conceal. Furthermore it will not turn your pistol into an SMG unless you mount a G-18 to it.

Marcus July 12, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Can't you use the sling to gain stability? Like they use to do with the MP-5K.

Johnny Quest July 12, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I suppose I have to ask, why?

James January 23, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Because

Gene July 12, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Full retard. The only thing you could do to make it FTL retard is stamp it with the Red Jacket logo….

bbb July 12, 2011 at 4:29 pm

For the price of a used Glock, the kit, and the NFA tax, you could have bought a new AR-15. Or any number of machine-pistol based pistols (MAC-10, etc).

geckcgt July 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Proof of intent is all that is needed, if I recall, the BATF conducted a no knock raid on a person suspected of owning grenades, turns out the grenades were dummies, and they shot him in the head for it. When he tried to sue, he was shot down with the Intent to make live grenades since having primers and gunpowder in a bullet, and a dummy grenade in the same place constitutes intent.

The BATF can technically shut down a BBQ serving beer and prove it was a ground for manufacturing incendiary weapons because the rags, lighter fluid, and beer bottles is intent of making molotov cocktails

Stormcharger July 13, 2011 at 8:09 am

Yarp. It's the price we, responsible citizens, pay for even bothering to do things legally. A product of allowing a regulatory agency to move to the Department of Justice and become a Law Enforcement agency.

Matt July 12, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Felony and a trip to pound-you-in-the-ass prison, all in two easy steps!

Anthony July 12, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Sure this is financially stupid and tactically useless but give them credit for trying to make an ugly ass gun look prettier. Still not buying one though.

Tim July 12, 2011 at 9:54 pm

As pictured aren't you using a pistol to (gasp) make another pistol? Nothing illegal in that configuration.

jim July 13, 2011 at 4:53 am

I am lucky in my part of the country the "NFA" is not hard to get at all, it's just about the money. This product is hot!! and i like it big time! RONI has been putting out great products for some time now and if you can? try to get one. I really like the options you can add to it and customize it the way you want this is a very flexible item.RONI keep on rockin!!!!!

National Enquirer July 13, 2011 at 10:33 am

So how long have you been working for Command Arms?

MarkM July 13, 2011 at 5:39 am

First, just how does it fall under the NFA, and why would they market another variation that the general public will be largely unable to immediately use without the stamp? Tends to stifle sales to me.

As for the NFA attributes, the stock is entirely the issue – add that and it becomes a short barreled rifle. Exactly how to crimp sales, when by leaving it off, Joe Bubba can chuck this upper on and blast away.

It needs 50 round magazines to go with it. I suspect it's really underwritten by the ammo makers.

What I'm reading is a lot of street talk about what constitutes NFA, and most of it is wrong, as usual. Again, just exactly what makes this a controlled item needing a tax stamp? As long as there is no stock and it uses a pistol length barrel, it's just another subgun wannabee for gravel pit exercises on Saturday morning.

jim July 13, 2011 at 10:23 am

The ATF doesn't need any reasons they just can, doesn't that suck?.So very true though. Truley they need to check on "project gun runner" and holder the janet reno under study.All the libs and brady bunch want to make more rules and regs instead of common sense and just enforce the rules already on the books.

Kevin July 13, 2011 at 10:35 am

Not true, a vertical foregrip on a pistol qualifies it as an "Any Other Weapon".

Davey July 13, 2011 at 6:17 am

What a tool. Under what circumstances would I choose to disassemble my pistol? None.
If I need a carbine or subgun instead of a pistol, I'll grab one and keep my secondary weapon intact. This is an SBR range toy without tactical value.

Fritz July 13, 2011 at 6:24 am

Why reinvent the wheel when fitting a glock pistol lower receiver to a 16" barrel upper receiver should be cheaper to make. Like the AR-15 design that allowed different caliber upper receivers to be attached. I always thought that the AR-15's were over priced anyway.

CavScout62 July 13, 2011 at 7:06 am

Thoughts or thinking about doing something/anything is illegal in the eyes of the atf.

Kevin July 13, 2011 at 10:08 am

That's true, any addition point to fix it to your body will aid with stability. That will help stabilize the gun while firing full auto at short range, but I wouldn't say it would improve long range accuracy, much anyway. Good point though.

Steve July 14, 2011 at 8:06 am

Yes you could, if you tighten the sling so that at full extension the sling pulls tight on the back of the shooter.

FormerSFMedic July 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Yeah, your right. This is not an NFA weapon. It doesn't have a stock or forward grip! I don't know why people keep saying it has to be registered. It doesn't. As far as its practicality, there really isn't any. With the advent of miniature red dot sights and compact pistol lights, the rail capability is little more than useless. This thing simply adds weight for no reason. A Glock17 with extended mag, surefire x300, and a leupold deltapoint would be substantially better than putting this thing on and using the same accessories.

FormerSFMedic July 15, 2011 at 2:09 am

Maybe you would strip your gun to clean it. Duh! Seriously though, this thing doesn't require you to strip the gun.

Ron November 12, 2011 at 9:17 am

I picked up one of the Recons as pictured. I have to say, in a tactical situation the addition of a red dot and laser is a welcome addition. When used in conjunction with the sling I made for it (the one supplied is crap) it is almost as good as having a stock.

And for the yahoo who said t makes it impossible to conceal, well I guess so, you jack leg. it's not meant to be carried as such. You carry the glock and if you are a first responder, you drop you glock into it before going in. Uh, think about it. That being said, depending on what I am wearing, I can conceal it fairly well. Under a sport coat it is pretty easy. Works well with some details I do. I do need to make a way to do retention because the sling by itself doesn't keep it far enough back in the jacket.

My two cents.

MakeMyDay May 31, 2012 at 7:03 am

With the BATF, even a Pellet or BB gun with a shroud, muzzle break or anything else than might lessen the report by just 1 dB is considered illegal. If they really had a ****** for you, they could even claim that your having an empty soda can or plastic bottle and roll of tape and a gun, constitutes possession of an Illegal device.

david June 1, 2012 at 12:39 am

Busted a guy for sending a silencer through the mail, problem was it was just an air gun supressor, on an airgun no less. They taped it to a 22 and it reduced the sound by over I db though ruined it in the process. Got him chucked in the Slammer for a dime, but problem was he fought it and two years of his life and an appeal later he was acquitted, then they charged him immediately with making a weapon of m*** destruction, for after he got arrested for the airgun supressor the had searched his house and found caster beans. Well ricin is naturally present in caster beans so he was found guilty of that. Ain't america grand. If they want your *** locked up, your *** will get locked up.

Billywhat? June 27, 2012 at 3:55 am

Are you Gecko45 by any chance? It seems very plausible that as a first responder in a mall incident you need this contraption for lasers, reddots and as a backup to your lightsaber….

Steve October 2, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Basically, it's a $349 optics mount. What will it do that my Glock 34 wont do without it?

Ted Menard April 22, 2013 at 12:38 pm

So what I really gather from all these comments is that if you have a Glock, the adding of a piece of crap like this for no apparent reason to try and improve the quality of the gun is just a waste of time that no one will ever get back. If you need something like this too use during an assault, you already have that weapon in hand. Get real!

I think it was more of a reason to spout off about the ATF instead. Rather than try to tell us what they can do. You should be telling others exactly what they can not do. They are required to obey the same laws that you and I have to as well. As long as you continue to let them take away your rights, they will. Stand up and make them do their job. We beat the hell out of one set of NAZI's, and I think we could do it again. Please also note that "to be well armed" means to be as well armed as the potential enemies we might need to face, and that aint single shot 410's.

tom February 26, 2014 at 7:40 am

Rights?? I am not sure when these comments were written but this is 2014 ,,we have NO rights anymore ,the Patriot act did those in , they can come to your home at any time without a warrant and without you being there and search and plant and create evidence ,,,don't believe it look it up yourself.