I had a chance to check out the Beamhit booth at AUSA and I have to say I was impressed with these little bad boys.  The fact you can align the laser sights to the native sights on the gun to get a solid zero is pretty cool.  This also saves time on the range and is an excellent training tool for the military and law enforcement communities.  They have some cool targets that pop down when hit’em and you can arrange them in all sorts of different sizes and configurations.  I was like a kid at a carnival with these things.  Also worth mentioning that the zero sight in system (with target) is very accurate and would make a great addition to any range training program. Pretty cool.  Out here-Brandon

Pulled off their website:

“The 130-1E Warrior Kit, built around the TR-700 target, provides the shooter with instant visual and audible feedback. The 130-1E Warrior Kit gives the shooter a portable, durable marksmanship training system. This self-contained marksmanship training system allows the user to operate the system anywhere without electrical power using standard “AA” batteries both indoors and outdoors or is powered through the included 110V power supply. The standard configuration allows the shooter to practice a variety of weapon-handling skills with most 5.56 cal. rifles and 9mm pistols (requires a minimum 2 inch barrel).”

Mini RETS System

“The 130 System uses L-3 EOTech’s MP400B Laser Transmitter and enables marksmanship training to be conducted indoors or outdoors. It provides the shooter with both instant visual hit counter and audible feedback. This system is built around the TR-700 target which operates on AA batteries or with an included power supply. The system comes with laser transmitter rods for use with most 5.56mm rifles and 9mm pistols (requires a minimum 2 inch barrel). A remote cable can be purchased separately to activate the timer and clear the hit counter on the TR-700 at a distance. The system can also be configured with 7 or 10 targets.

Go Navy! October 21, 2011 at 7:56 am

Cool. I wonder how much does this cost?

Ian October 21, 2011 at 9:37 am

We used this extensively is at Ft Hunter Liggitt ( no, I won't tell you where it is, big army will find out it's too nice and move pre mob to the hot sweaty armpit of America like all the other bases)

The drawbacks are the need the leave a good firing position to reset the charging handle and the lack of simulated bullet drop.If there was some sort of CO2 pressurized magazine that reset the bolt you would have a great simulator.

Other than that, every basic training platoon should have one in the bay to practice with.

FormerSFMedic October 21, 2011 at 10:10 am

Yeah, we had one too. Matter of fact, we had like 4 or 5. The entire Army is training troops with this. I see the advantage for trigger control, sight alignment, sight picture, and holster draws, but like Ian said, no bullet drop. I think teaching troops to just aim center mass is detrimental to their skills.

SleepyDave October 21, 2011 at 10:32 am

We used a system kind of like this at Great Mistakes. It used an M9 hooked up to an air compressor and a laser module mounted in the barrel. No one in my division shot anything close to what we actually shot at the range the next day. The lasers were not aligned properly, the air hose running out of the magazine screwed up the weight balance, and most of the guns spent the better part of the day sitting on the counter because they wouldn't function.

How does this system work? Blanks, or does pulling the trigger just trip the laser? Because there's a lot of whizbang cool stuff in the print,but its kind of vague on the "laser transmitter rods".

Lance October 21, 2011 at 10:52 am

Interesting hope they come to the civilian market soon.

Ian October 21, 2011 at 11:23 am

I think it works by sensing the sound or vibration of the hammer falling.

No blanks, you re-**** after every shot

Brandon Webb October 21, 2011 at 1:02 pm

$7-10k for a suite of 6 I think they said…it was in that range for a system (not sure which though…their website is pretty confusing).

Moondog October 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I think part of the problem with lack of marksmanship skille is that the troops DON'T get enough range time, and here you want them to get even less. The ballistics of a laser beam of light are not the same as a 5.56 bullet, and even less so in various climatic conditions such as wind and changing light. Give the troops real bullets and more range time.

FormerSFMedic October 22, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Range time is important, but it's also a waste if the military is teaching substandard skills. Repeating poor technique over and over again is not going to help the troops. The military needs to start thinking outside of their little box, and start training troops on modern shooting TTP's.

Someone else here mentioned the 50 and 100 yard zero being a better zero point for 5.56. He is correct! The reason the military uses the 25/300m zero is because of an old way of thinking. The 25m zero should be proof enough that the military is decades behind in their way of thinking when it comes to modern shooting skills!

Jack October 21, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Not to mention that there are no specifics regarding 'what' zero you get when using these things. My guess is you aren't encouraging soldiers to get (or understand) a 50 or 100 yard zero with them either (widely known outside of the conventional military as the most useful zero(s) given the realistic engagement distance of a 5.56mm carbine). These 'things' are simply stop-gap tools that only sustain the status-quo and continue enabling mediocrity and ignorance.

Ian October 21, 2011 at 9:11 pm

The real problem is the amount of time and planning involved in taking a group of soldiers to the range. I literally takes all day for 2 hours of shooting. It there was a continuously running, walk on range where a soldier can come on his off time, grab a rifle, helmet, and armor off a rack and start shooting, half of the problem would be solved.
Same thing with a simunition shoot house.

If a simunition shoot house was run like a walk on indoor paintball field, I wouln't have seen the joke of CQB at RTC-west.

Fred October 22, 2011 at 11:13 am

I've used these for training (Nat. Guard) and they are very sweet. The only downside is racking the charging handle between shots. It is tripped by the shock of the hammer falling, although if you rack the weapon quickly it'll trigger a "shot" too.

As far as zero, you don't change the weapon, but align the laser assembly to the established zero.

Smith October 25, 2011 at 9:37 am

My ROTC battalion has a few of these, the system is hooked up to an airsoft gun. The action of the airsoft weapon dry-firing triggers the laser. It is a very good tool for teaching basic rifle marksmanship fundamentals, but the system has a few flaws. The main problem with the system is the fact that it uses an airsoft gun. Airsoft guns are great because they use a rechargeable battery, and are extremely realistic. The problem is, these weapons were not designed for this sort of use. Dry-firing, much like real weapons, puts unneeded stress on the weapon, causing it to eventually fail. Also, it might be the brand of the airsoft weapon, but the rifles we have are losing their ability to fire semi-auto, often firing bursts of full auto on accident.

While this is an awesome concept, the developers of this system need to put some more thought into the delivery of this system, instead of slapping it on an airsoft gun.

autoxer240 November 16, 2011 at 10:53 am

A nifty little system that is really only limited by the imagination of the user. I used it one day while I was stuck in a control center to practice off-hand shooting with PEQ-2 and NODS. Practice trigger reset, sight alignment, breath control and all of the other basics that people seem to forget about nowadays. Do a few pushups then take a few shots. You can also align your sights, lasers, red dots, etc using it. On a typical range qualification day I may shoot 150 rounds, but that day I probably shot 3-400 times before I got tired of having to charge it after every shot. My fingers were raw!

Kathy S. May 21, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Thank you again Brandon! I have one of the very earliest of their systems for handgun and I'm really impressed how far they've evolved. My old model would detect the hammer falling on some pistols, but not on some of my heavier framed handguns. I always wanted one for my carbine. It's good to hear they're being effectively used in training for you guys!