Tactical Lighting Solutions has developed a multi-function light that glows like a ChemLight but lasts a lot longer. The Lazerbrite Modular Lighting System consists of two twist-on/twist-off lights that attach to a translucent body. The LED lights come in six color choices, so you can have combinations such as blue/green, infrared/white, orange/yellow etc.

Each Light can be used as a stand-alone light as well. They come in a Single-Mode (on-off) version and a Multi-Lux (low, high and blinking) model. They run on two coin-sized CR2032 batteries and provide roughly 75 hours of usable light — that’s 150 hours per unit, TLS maintains.

They are also waterproof and submersible up to 50 meters.

The basic Single-Mode light kit — which comes with two lights, a translucent body and extra batteries retails for $29.99. The stand-alone lights cost $14.99 each. The Multi-Lux light kits come packaged the same way but cost $39.99. A stand-alone Multi-Lux light costs $19.99.

Tactical Lighting Solutions also offers a range of accessories such as illuminating map cases and landing zone kits.

Here is a video of the Single-Mode version at Modern Day Marine 2011.

Alex October 6, 2011 at 4:46 am

Alas poor chem light I knew thee well.

MarkM October 6, 2011 at 5:00 am

I bought a AA version of this ten years ago, with electroluminescent panels wrapped inside a clear tube. They work, the tech is a no brainer.

What doesn't work is that it's a durable – which completely changes it's usage. Chemlights get cracked and left behind during an op, and they aren't reusable to the enemy. These could eventually be recovered and used against us, as misdirection, or an IED.

Best application would be in training, where you can and should clean up after the operation. It can seriously reduce the expense of something like a range night fire, where the unit's organic lights could be used. On the other hand, it transfers the expense to batteries, which are nearly equal in cost to chem lights and even more hazardous in disposal.

Much of why it didn't go over 10 years ago.

Anthony October 6, 2011 at 6:41 am

Good point the great thing about chem lights is they are cheap, you can carry a ton and they are disposable. But like you said they could be good for training and I am sure certain Law Enforcement units could find these usefull.

Observer October 7, 2011 at 9:21 am

Good points, but I think the other posters are right: fantastic idea for mountaineers and sportsmen, bad for troops.

I dunno about enemy usage so much that they could be supplied with cheap chemlights to use against us anyway. I see your point, though.

Mike18 October 6, 2011 at 6:40 am

MarkM hit the nail on the head.
Chemlights are cheap and disposible for a reason. These are just one more "sensitive" item to me potentially left behind on an OBJ.
Good for my kids though when they go trick-or-treating.

Earl B. October 6, 2011 at 7:06 am

@MarkM. Spot on comment and let me add a few more…I like chemlights because they are disposable. You can put them on targets, target reference points, vehicle antennas, LZ markers, cleared/searched rooms, and even detainees. I don't want troops in training to think that they have to recover lights from those situations until well after the event is done. In combat, I never want them to even think about recovering lights in most of those situations. The light above is a "solution" to a problem that doesn't exist and may actually make things worse from a cost/environmental standpoint.

Alex October 6, 2011 at 7:21 am

Reading what the more knowledgable have said, this looks like like it would be more usable for recon troops going in deep where weight and space would be a premeium in packs. That and hikers.

tswallace October 6, 2011 at 7:28 am

Great idea to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Chemlights were designed (in part by the military, no less) to be disposable and not use any electricity. Those are their premier features, neither of which this replacement has. The only thing this might be better for would be long-term area marking, assuming the battery lasts longer than a pile of glow sticks.

Roger October 6, 2011 at 10:21 am

I can see this being used for night shoots by RSO.

JimS October 6, 2011 at 7:37 am

You can buy those little LED key chain lights for about $0.70. It shouldn't be hard to make a cheap-enough-to-be disposable LED version. Eliminating the liquid portion in chem lights would definitely save some weight. I'd keep the IR version as is for reasons mentioned above.

Jon October 6, 2011 at 8:27 am

So is somebody going to walk around the AO after the operation and pick all the lazer brights up?

Probably not, the chem light is here to stay.

At $30 bucks a pop, I doubt they'll fork over the cash when they'd rather spend the money on gear improvements, weapon acquisitions, etc. At this point "new" technology should not only improve upon the product it wants to replace, but also match or beat the cost, not cost 60 times more (assuming a chem light is $0.50).

FormerDirtDart October 6, 2011 at 8:30 am

For every practical use identified for this light, you will find at least a dozen where a simple chem-light would be preferred.

Could have sworn we solved this re-usable marking light decades ago with those little plastic cones you can snap onto the ends of flashlights.

Go Navy! October 6, 2011 at 8:48 am

I agree with everyone here. If you are going into an operation, I would not want to retrieve all these "Lazer Brites" during or after the operation. This product would be good for someone who does hiking or camping. I don't like that it's powered by CR2032 batteries….why not AA or AAA which is more available especially in bulk.

JTB October 6, 2011 at 9:45 am

looks like it would be good for hikers and outdoors men more than troops unless they were to use as more of a multi function flashlight instead of a chem light

Keith Baker October 7, 2011 at 4:54 am

I retired years ago and now own and outdoors and bike shop in Colorado – that was my thought exactly. These would be great for marking a latrine, path or camp hazards. I'm going to look for a wholesale source for them today.

FormerSFMedic October 6, 2011 at 10:05 am

As a Team Medic I've used my fair share of chemlights. I agree with most everyone else here on chemlights vs lazerbrite. For one, there are other products already in use that accomplish the same goal in a substantially smaller package. The S&S Precision v-lite and manta strobe come to mind.

Two, one of the reasons I used chemlights in combat was because artificial lighting can be too bright during night ops wearing NOD's. Even small lights with low output can be overpowering from the air and on the ground. IR chemlights are a much better choice for this kind of operation. Whoever mentioned marking buildings was spot on. I have had numerous accounts where I've had to mark many different locations with chemlights. I'm not going back for a lazerbrite. I'm also not going to carry both chemlights and lazerbrite.

I think the application for this kinda thing is pretty limited. Maybe an RO on the range at night, climbing/hiking, or camping are better places for the "electric chemlight".

Matt October 6, 2011 at 10:11 am

Just piping in – at a minimum of $20, the lazerbrite isn't going to be taking over for a $0.50 chemlite any time soon :)

Lance October 6, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Way too expensive for a throw away night light.

JohnR October 8, 2011 at 7:02 am

I bought the same AA version with the luminescent panels. I didn't find them long lasting or a practical replacement for Chemlights. This is a fantastic improvement for those of us who are camping or hunting. . Obtaining a light stick would still present a problem if it's part of your load. An enemy would still need your permission to obtain it, I don't imagine that would given easily.

shatteredshield October 9, 2011 at 4:28 am

I think I'll stick with what works, good old
ChemLites. If its not broke, don't fix or replace it. KISS!!"!""!""

walkerny November 16, 2012 at 5:26 am

Talk about fixing something that isn't broken. I thoght only our government could take a 50 cent item and come up with a $20 "improvement".