The ATS Tactical Gear War Belt

It seems that most tactical nylon manufacturers make some sort of padded belt system. They all have the same general premise (padding and MOLLE webbing), and range in prices from about $20.00 up to $200. A lot of guys are going back to a belt system, and I’ve found that you can’t go wrong with the ATS War Belt, especially for the price.

ATS War Belt Insert Belt

The ATS padded belt system consists of 3 parts: the War Belt, the War Belt Insert Belt, and suspenders. All of the components are no frills, quality pieces of kit that make for a comfortable rig. The War Belt is a basic pad system with 3 rows of MOLLE webbing, suspender attachment points, and Velcro hook lining to “lock” an insert belt into place. There’s enough padding for comfort, but not so much that it’s bulky. Plenty of MOLLE for whatever you need to attach, and the bottom of the belt pad is open to facilitate any drop pouches. The War Belt Insert Belt is a light-weight 2” belt with a side-release buckle and the loop side of Velcro to integrate into the War Belt. The insert belt is not as stiff as your typical pistol belt, but I’ve had no issues with it holding my Blade-Tech Drop/Offset holster securely in place. The third piece is the suspenders. These are as simple as simple can get; basically, it’s some webbing and stitching … no padding, no extraneous hardware. The best part about their simplicity is that you don’t even notice them when you have a plate carrier on.

My personal kit kickin' the ATS War Belt system

I’ve been kickin’ the ATS War Belt for a while now, and don’t have any complaints. There are plenty of SOF guys using this system overseas and it’s holding up to the rigors of combat. If you’re not familiar with ATS Tactical Gear, you should check them out. They’re based out of Kentucky and all of their kit is made in the USA. Plus, there’s no BS condescending attitudes when you talk to the guys at the shop, everyone I’ve talked with is solid.

The ATS belt system is sold as separate pieces, and some people just run the belt pad with a rigger’s belt or use another brand of suspenders. So, you’re not stuck with things you don’t want. The War Belt goes for $42.00 (a couple bucks more for Multicam) and is available in black, coyote, ranger green, ACU and Multicam. The War Belt Insert Belt is $19.95 and the suspenders ring in at $13.80. All in all, for a reasonable price (especially for made in the USA) you’re getting a solid system.

Check out ATSTacticalGear.com for more info.

Kit Up! contributor Bill Janson is a former Recon Marine and is the founder of Eleven 10, a tactical gear manufacturer.

Uncle Willie December 7, 2011 at 1:41 am

I was never a huge fan of leg rigs or belt systems, if only because I spent so much time in a truck. I got a piece of kit (Tactical Talior leg rig, if I recall) caught on a door one time, and ended up falling like a sack of DCU bricks out of a door in front of a bunch of Iraqis. Fortunatly, my sepctacular dismount wasn't in the middle of a firefight or an IED, and the only thing that got hurt was my ego. From that day forward I was a chest rig kinda guy. That being said, belt systems seem to work great for guys who are dismounted a lot.

David K. December 7, 2011 at 4:33 am

It's a good thing in general, however, I'm still waiting for a padded war belt that works with regular trousers and doesn't chafe the dunlop…

SFC YOUNG December 7, 2011 at 6:07 am

Back when I used to do personal security my boss was a former LEO and had made us all go with a belt system. Personally I was not a big fan of it due to it shifting, throwing off your posture while in a vehicle and getting snagged on objects. Other than a chest rig which even those have their draw backs, there really isn't a great one size fits all solution.

Jack Murphy December 7, 2011 at 6:31 am

I always had good experiences with ATS kit.

Lance December 7, 2011 at 11:15 am

No OD Woodland or Desert? Im crushed!! Watch out with all those Pmags in the pics you'll make Brandon jealous since he can have those in the PRC the Peoples Republic of Kaliforina.

Bill Janson December 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I always forget about the crazy gun laws out there! I guess I shouldn't mention those are for my LWRCI shorty.

Bill Janson December 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I agree about the drop leg thing. I got everything off my legs very quickly. Never had a fall like that (thankfull), but they do get caught on everything. A lot of guys of moving to belt systems even for mounted ops to get kit off their chest for low profile missions.

Old DOC December 7, 2011 at 10:15 pm

It seems to me we are drifting back towards an ALICE type "web gear". (Showing my age)
Is anybody making ALICE webbing or pouches in coyote brown or ACU these days?

Buckaroomedic December 7, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I'm a big fan of ATS. You're right Bill, they make some great US made gear at really good prices.

I too am not a fan of belt systems anymore. After I switch to a chest rig from my old ALICE rig, I never looked back. What type of role/mission are people wearing belt rigs these days?

Bill Janson December 8, 2011 at 9:26 am

Guys I know kickin belt systems are doing low profile vehicle ops where they don't want anything bulky above the waist. So, stripped plate carriers and belt systems. I will also say, reloads from a belt system are fast as ****. Just another thought to throw out there!

Josh December 7, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Chest rigs are way to go, and on drop leg issue, I hate them for the most part, BDS makes nice ones. I wore mine when dismounted primarily, mostly used a drop leg for my 40mm's.

If your mounted on chest is way to go, shorter draw, if I had a leg in a vehicle I had to undo it and rest it on the top of my leg which was annoying and when dismounted they rubbed me insane.

QO January 3, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I have the ATS with suspenders (use a thicker inner belt), and have it set up with a modded Safariland on a 1.5 drop…hated stuff on my legs. Anyhow, my main problem is the suspenders fall off all the time. Likely a setup issue, but still a pain in the butt. I'm in the bush a lot, and am thinking of going even more low profile with just a small chest rig with the holster mounted almost under my strong arm.

Carlos June 13, 2014 at 12:50 pm

What rifle mag pouches are those?
Thanks