LWRC Ambi Lower

I was hanging out with the guys from LWRC at SHOT and they showed me their new completely ambidextrous lower receiver. The mag release, bolt catch and selector switch are on both sides of the lower. With this lower, everything can be operated in a familiar manner, no matter which side the weapon is shouldered on. So, not only taking care of left handed shooters, but also making it easier when going offhand for barriers or injury.

LWRC Lower

This lower can be used with legacy M4 weapon systems, so all of you lefties can grab a new lower and make your life a bit easier. Also, the word is that these lowers will be rolling out with most of their weapon systems in the near future. I’ve always been a huge fan of LWRC. I think they have a phenomenal weapon system and customer service to match. Innovations like this keep coming back.

By the way, they have a great individual officer/military program that gets LEO’s and Active/Reserve military a nice discount on the M6G rifle. You can get more info by visiting their website – www.lwrci.com.

Full Disclosure: Eleven 10 is an LE Dealer for LWRC firearms, but has no financial stake in the company.

Kit Up! contributor Bill Janson is a former Recon Marine and is the founder of Eleven 10, a tactical gear manufacturer.

Dave January 26, 2012 at 8:14 am

Meh. Ambi-lowers don't impress anymore. Plus I usually find the controls to be way too cluttered.

Unistat76 January 26, 2012 at 8:27 am

My POF is full-ambi. Since My wife is a lefty, it's always something I look for.

Go Navy! January 26, 2012 at 8:40 am

it's nice. but the shell ejection is still on the right side. LWRC does make nice products.

Ryan January 26, 2012 at 9:15 am

Hey boss, review is on the Lower not the upper…..
not being an @$$ just giving a gut check where I can. Looks like good lower Bill. Never been able to use the offside mag release personally, though. Don't leverage right or something.

FormerSFMedic January 26, 2012 at 10:09 am

There's no "gut check" needed. GN's comment was right on topic.

Go Navy! January 26, 2012 at 11:35 am

FormerSFMedic: Thanks for the back up. It was meant as a general comment because of the Pic included the Upper as well.

Joe January 26, 2012 at 9:03 am

I shoot long gun lefty and prefer to use a standard AR platform. I have no need for an ambi-bolt release and the magazine release is just fine as I strip the mag out while pressing it with my thumb.

ICE Man January 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

Can't say enough great things about LWRC. I purchased one of their M6's for my personnal rifle and I am extremely glad I did. You will definitely spend the money, but will get everything that you pay for.

Nmate January 26, 2012 at 10:12 am

I've been eying their new M6-IC or the next Tricon model. I had an A3, 16", but I didn't really like the balance. It ran great, was easy to clean, and very well built. It just wasn't to my liking. I think that the IC, with it's shorter and fluted barrel would help the situation, a heavier stock like a SOPMOD or a UBR on the back-end would help to balance the additional weight of the piston system fairly well.

Lance January 26, 2012 at 11:23 am

Looks awesome wish they be a bit cheaper than what they say. But its awesome hope they make a cool upper to match it.

Johnny Quest January 26, 2012 at 4:01 pm

And where would you expect to find the ejection port on an M16?

Dan January 26, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Own two LWRCs, an M6SL which is a great light weight patrol rifle and a limited edition North West Tactical and American Snipers.org M6A2 that I won for an Easter raffle (not bad for a hundred bucks worth of raffle tickets), love them both. That said, I'm right handed and feel confident enough with operating the weapon off hand/injured that I don't really see the need for an ambi lower, but that's me.

One other thing, the M6G deal is not available for individual sales, only unit sales. That came directly from the guys at LWRC when I was shopping around, unless they changed it recently. However, North West Tactical provides great deals for service members.

Raul January 28, 2012 at 6:12 am

I am a lefty too and I agree with Joe that for us southpaws the standard AR is not that difficult to work with. IMHO the only upgrade really needed is a left-handed safety (a la Colt or Badger) and an ambi or left handed charging handle.

Doc88 January 31, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Anyone know what colors the lower are in? I want to Durocoat my AR15 or spray paint them to look the same as the pictures above. Any help is welcome!

n February 17, 2012 at 4:30 am

why it is hard for your company to change specs for 6.8X43mm chamber, 4 gooves 1/11 rifling twist and fire 120 grains bullet

JLA April 28, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Really? I had a chance to actually handle the LWRC IC at the NRA Show, and I think it has the best control layout of any AR I've ever handled. It's the only ambi lower that I would rate as superior to a lower equipped with a B.A.D. Lever! It allows the shooter to lock the bolt to the rear without losing his firing grip, and it's the only AR that I know of that allows that. LWRC got it right with this one!!!

anon July 27, 2012 at 8:09 am

if you ever built or owned an ar, the upper and lower are completely separate and sold as such. the article was on the lower being ambi, not the upper.

nonito cabato October 31, 2012 at 10:33 pm

YEAH ! why it is very hard for your company to CHANGE many are are using the 6X43 mm chamber with 4 four grooves 1:11 rifling twist if you do, i be the first one to buy it!