Olongapo Outfitters makes some of the best quality, M1 Garand clip pouches I’ve ever seen. That’s right. Gear for the Garand! If you’ve never looked down the sights of John C. Garand’s masterpiece, you’re missing out. I’ll never trade my M1, but I have never cared for Army surplus cartridge belts.

Olongapo’s clip pouches are made from 1000d Cordura and come in MultiCam, OD Green, Khaki, and Coyote Brown. They are available in two-clip and four-clip sections and come with Malice clips or ALICE clips. These pouches close with mil-spec snaps and feature pull tabs on the flaps for speed.

I have mine mounted on a Brokos Belt with Malice clips and it feels good and solid. The snaps hold securely but release quickly. High-quality stitching will no doubt last a lifetime. The two-clip models cost $25-$28 each. The four-clip pouches run between $37 and $43 each.

Olongapo Outfitters also makes several other pouch options for Garand ammo. They make an M1-carbine style pouch for the Garand that keeps two clips at the ready. And if you’re preparing for the zombie hordes, you might want to check out the Grab&Go bandoleer that holds 12 clips.

They also make some nice chest rigs and other goodies for all you AR diehards out there.

Matt M. March 28, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Nice to see modern manufacturing applied to older types of gear.

bbb March 28, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Neat. You'd think that it would be possible to make an open-top pouch that retains the clip with friction on the rounds themselves though. Like with a 'grid' of Kydex that fits between the rounds. If anything I think old-fashioned pouches have become a thing of the past. New materials and manufacturing techniques means you can make things in any shape you want.

Although for something like the Garand, a dump pouch full of loaded clips would probably be even faster. But heavy.

I have wanted to buy a surplus M1 for years but the prices have gone up every year, and now that I can afford one I live in Japan… oh well.

SleepyDave March 28, 2012 at 7:35 pm

http://originalsoegear.com/m1tray.html carries 6 clips, fits in a 3-mag pouch. Just another option.

Lance March 28, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Well Smith Enterprises made a EBR stock now for the M-1 might as well make modern gear for it. Be a great weapon for Afghanistan fighting.

M.L. March 29, 2012 at 11:10 am

it needs a mag – that's the one thing i would change about it

Anthony Markham March 29, 2012 at 9:31 am

Great products for the M1. I have the stock pouch and the Grab and Go for the Garand. Well made. Useful.

M.L. March 29, 2012 at 11:13 am

I'm considering building one/picking one up. I heard in February we were importing 86,000+ from Korea.

M.L. March 29, 2012 at 11:14 am

*an M1 Garand, that is. But if I do I will def. pick these pouches up. Like Matt M. said it's cool to see stuff like this for older weapons

Matt March 29, 2012 at 11:17 am

- M.L.
And with that you end up with an M14.

packer March 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Not really. M14 uses a smaller cartridge. The M14 fires a 7.62 x 51mm while the Garand uses a 7.62x 63mm. Basically a .308 vs. a 30-06.

Matt M. March 29, 2012 at 2:11 pm

-packer
Yeah but I wasn't talking about caliber.

SleepyDave March 29, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I don't think that 30.06 provides a superior ballistic capability compared to 308. The two cartridges are so close in performance, we've already got 308 in the arsenal, and it'd be an expensive and time-intensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist. As it is, the M14 EBR isn't that great of a design, having had a change to use one, I can say that I wouldn't do it again if I had the choice. Honestly I'd rather see more .308 caliber AR-platforms than M14 platforms. There's a good continuity in firepower (5.56, 7.62. 338/300WM, .50 BMG) that gives shooters a lot of options, and throwing 30.06 into the mix would just complicate things.

Moondawg March 29, 2012 at 3:03 pm

M1s' are obsolete. They are heavy, clunky, not all that accurate and have a limited ammo capacity (8 rounds). When they go empty they make a nice little ping to announce to the world that you are reloading. Garands were pretty good when everyone else had bolt guns. Now, with inexpensive AR15 platforms readily available, I cannot understand why anyone would wnat one, other than to shot it against other Garands at a antique military rifle match. Tactically, they became obsolete about 60 years ago.

Snuffy March 31, 2012 at 11:25 am

Cause when your in a firefight with the Taliban among all the gunfire and mortars, and insurgent is going to hear a ping and then suddenly charge you. This idea of the ping when empty is the biggest fallacy ever. First of all Americans fight in units so if they even did hear a ping it would mean that one of many was out of ammo for the few seconds it takes to stick another enbloc into their rifle, second by that logic, what about the clang an M4 magazine makes when it hits the ground from being dropped?

John March 29, 2012 at 3:04 pm

This is SOE's full m1 garand chest rig. I own SOE and have made Garand gear for over 20 years. http://www.originalsoegear.com/garand.html

Bruce Lancaster March 30, 2012 at 7:57 am

On the .308 vs 30-06, many of the M1's still in inventory after '56 were converted to 308. My understanding is that there was a simple adapter ring that filled part of the breech…the ring was set into place and chambering a 308 round used as a tool shoved it fully into place. Presto, a .308 conversion.
I think Italian Beretta made M1's had an extended capacity removable magazine in place of the floor plate in the regular M1, but I do not know much about those.

Alex April 3, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I had heard about Olongapo Outfitters through the Garand Boards on AR15.com for awhile, but was not sure of the quality until this posting. After reading Matt's thumbs up on them, I bit the bullet and bought two each of the two-clip and 4-clip models in Coyote Brown. The nylon is a spot on match for my SPC vest, which is super rare; as I've seen at least a dozen different shades of "Coyote Brown." I opted for Malice Clips; as in all the years I've had MOLLE gear, I've never had a malice clip break or shift on my vest. Clips fit nice and snug in the pouches, with absolutely no play at all, and after just coming back from the range tonight after doing all sorts of prone, low crawl, and combat shooting drills, where I've had pieces of new gear fail on me, I can say the pouches are truly well-built and would recommend them to anyone

M4s feel like toys September 21, 2012 at 8:07 pm

you dont drop you mags if your a good little boy, cost too damn much, you put them back in that pouch, enblocs, thats like $1 a piece, thats easy to cover, doing like 25+ a pop? not going on

wayne March 10, 2014 at 12:04 am

On the issue of M1 Garands inSouth Korea. there are 800,000+ there that the Koreans wanted to give back to the U.S. but you know who at 1600 pennsylvania nixed that plan. So if you're in Japan you can make a side trip… On the issue of the ping-WWII soldiers used that to their advantage by keeping an empty clip accessible and in a gunfight would be ready for old Hans by being sighted in and would drop/throw the clip, Hans hears it and pops his head up….Bingo.
Who's taking a Garand to fight the Taliban? At some of the distances you fight over there, them hearing the "Ping" is the least of your worries.