LaserLyte® and Bersa® are offering a new combination pistol w/laser in the form of the Bersa Thunder .380, with matte blue finish (this is just the newest of several colors offered) and the LaserLyte Bersa laser CK-MS. I haven’t shot one of these myself, but I’ve requested one for T&E. I’ll let you know how it shoots once I’ve had it on the range. It will be a bit of a change-up for me, as for my off-duty gun I’ve always carried .38+P or 9mm. Never really done much with .380.

Anyway, I’ve talked to a couple of guys who like the Bersa but it’s not widely known in my neck of the woods. That said, the only thing I’ve heard negative from guys who follow Bersa is a slight disenchantment with some of the hyperbole in their descriptions (most shooter are far more interested in performance and solid accessories than a “custom case with contrasting red zipper” they’ll probably lose or discard anyway). Having the weapon arrive with an inside-the-pocket holster is a nice touch though.

More to follow.

The  LaserLyte® CK-MS lasers are described as being corrosion proof and are built of a glass-built nylon to reduce weight. The unit takes 2xA76 batteries.

LaserLyte CK-MS Features include:

• Quick-mount
  • Ambidextrous, ergonomic switch
  • Programmable laser, constant or pulse mode
  • Auto-off

The Bersa .380 Thunder is Bersa’s best-selling model. It and the LaserLyte together retail for $420.

LaserLyte® CK-MS Specifications:

Compatible Firearms:              Bersa® Thunder .380

Power Output:                      Class IIIA, 5mw

Laser module:                       650nm

Batteries:                             two A76 batteries

Battery Life:                          5 hrs. constant on, 10 hrs. pulse mode (normal usage*)

Weight                                 .77 ounces/24.00 grams

Length:                                2.25 inches/57.24 mm

Width:                                 .69 inches/17.64mm

Height:                                1.54 inches/39.22mm

Range at Night:                     500 yd., 457.2 m

*Normal usage is defined as one minute on and one minute off. This test mimics actual usage where the unit is turned on and off and the battery is given time to automatically regenerate.

BulldogBersa® .380 Thunder Matte Black Specifications:

Action:                                 DA/SA

Capacity:                              7 + 1

Barrel Length:                       3.5″

Weight:                                20 oz.

Length:                                6.6″

Height:                                4.9″

Width:                                 1.3″

LaserLyte CK-MS Bersa Thunder Package:

Part Number:                        T380MLLKIT

Retail Price:                          $420.00

For additional details, check out www.laserlyte.com and check them out on Facebook. To find out more about Bersa, visit www.bersa.com or the Bersa Facebook.

Lance May 30, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Makes the weapon a bit too bulky in size for your holster.

Michael May 30, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I prefer a .40 cal. subcompact handgun as I don't think a .380 has enough stopping power to put a perp down–the .38 cal./.380 vs. the 9mm debate has gone on for over a hundred years, hasn't it? Didn't the .40 round become a compromise between the .38 and the ideal .45 round? The bottom line is not allowing a perp to shoot back! Yes, I've heard about the .22 Magnum round for self defense, but I am skeptical.

Technoweapon May 31, 2012 at 5:38 am

.45 is ideal, of course. But you've got more bullets to put downrange with the .40.
I'd assume the phrase "bigger is better" is ideal with close range self defense.

Strongly prefer the .40, too. More rounds at the cost of a slightly smaller round. But you can get hollow points to make up for that.

Rapier975 May 31, 2012 at 5:43 am

I'm actually not a huge fan of the .40S&W. With modern loadings there is very little separating any of the top three rounds (9mm, .40, .45ACP). I carry either 9mm or .45ACP. Having said that, I have personally witnessed an individual killed from one Head shot from a .380, while I have also witnessed an individual survive a double tap from a .45 (one to the neck, one to the face).

Technoweapon June 1, 2012 at 5:38 am

I would think surviving a double tap to the neck and face is extremely rare. Anything to the head or neck can kill you. Shear dumb luck if you survive it.

Well… Maybe not luck, per say. I tend to associate luck with positive outcomes. Surviving a shot to the neck or face would be horrible, save for a grazing. You know what I mean.

Doc June 1, 2012 at 6:41 am

I don't want to get shot with one.

Doc May 31, 2012 at 6:19 am

I have a Bersa .380 and love it. My primary carry is a .45 and also carry a .38 and 357. Modern .380 ammunition is a reliable self defense round. The Bersa .380 is fun to shoot and is as accurate as my bigger, more expensive firearms.

PHQ May 31, 2012 at 6:30 am

I agree with Doc. I have the Bersa and I can put a group at twenty feet you can cover with a silver dollar…..good enough for me. I do like to carry a .45 but in many cases it's hard to conceal and still be able to get to it in a time is life situation and as one other poster put it….shot placement….two in the chest the face gets the rest!

JDC May 31, 2012 at 6:33 am

The main advantage of a .380 is its concealability vs the 9mm or .40. Add a bulky front mounted laser, and you take that away. They do make lasergrips for the Bersa Thunder, though if you like that style.

The Bersa has a lot of good reviews on line. Its main advantage is the controllability versus the lightweight 9's and .40's. Quite obviously, several well placed .380 shots are preferable to off target 9/.40's if you can't control the recoil. However, this is mainly a level of comfort with the firearm, and also making sure the weapon fits your hand.

Lots of studies to show bigger is better for knock down power. However, just like cars, chain saws, and knives, no one gun fills all needs. All the more reason to buy many of them! (That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.)

KBI May 31, 2012 at 7:20 am

Since I go on a bunch of sites just reading things I was on one for police shooting they compared the 9mm .40 and the .45. The interesting thing or it was to me of the shooting the surveyed the 9mm and the 40 actually had people shot that ran away from the scene of course they caught them later at a hospital but when looking at the results of the .45 the furthest anyone made it was 9 feet that to me says it all!

WRG01 May 31, 2012 at 7:24 am

Smallest I carry is 9mm. The 9-short is too much of a compromise. There are fantastic 9mm defense rounds available now and, while the same can be said for .380, the 9mm will outperform the .380 and in a comparable package. A pocket 9mm is better than a pocket .380 if the main criteria is a pocket sized pistol.

Tailhooker May 31, 2012 at 11:46 am

How about the XD-S in 45 ACP or M&P Shield 9mm or 40 cal? I haven't fired either one but the 3.2 inch XD-M in 45 ACP is quite controllable.

An alternate for 40 cal platforms is the 357 Sig which is very controllable due to the lower projectile weight but with a tremendous increase in energy (600+ foot pounds) due to the higher velocity. It will be interesting to see if the M&P will be ffered in the 357 Sig. Downside is that the cost is quite a bit higher than the 9. Reloading works fien, but it is a bottleneck case so it is a slower process.

MacvAbn May 31, 2012 at 10:14 pm

.380 is weak and if you pushing the round through a leather coat, water bottle or some other object it's loosing too much umph. 9mm is the low end. Anything weaker is like a bad bee sting that will more likely make 'em sick than drop them dead. Exceptions noted.

APAC June 1, 2012 at 11:26 am

Why? Gilding a very small lilly. Or is it to make up for bad marksmanship and sell to those who think they need a gun for protection.I'll bet they sell a lot to those who buy a gun and stick it in a drawer! >380 is a BACK UP piece, not primary which may have a laser lite on it.

Doc June 1, 2012 at 12:56 pm

It is for sure a backup gun but it is sure fun to shoot.

Shot placement is key though. Two .380 rounds to the central nervous system is better than a bunch of .45s to the legs and walls. The best caliber is the one in which the shooter can put on target and recover from the recoil for follow-up shots.

OmegaDR June 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I've owned a Bersa 380 for years and put hundreds of round thru it with never a problem. It's reliable, highly accurate at it's intended range and easy to shoot. As stated before, the Bersa is a backup/ CCW use only. It will never replace a full-size Glock, but I can't carry my Glock with me on every occasion, like my Bersa. The Bersa's all steel construction help control recoil better than any of the other modern polymer compact 9mm's or 380's.

Mikkipoo October 1, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Just bought the latest Bersa Thunder.380 M LL KIt for my wife as she doesn't like
recoil. This is for home defence and she is really a good marksman (Markswoman).
So if eight rnds aren't enough I keep two fully loaded .45s handy.
I once nailed a target to an oak tree about 25 feet away and fired away with my own little Walther .380 and I WATCHED as the bullet hit the tree and bounce back and hit me in the leg. Didn't even leave a mark…….

DeputyDawg March 15, 2013 at 3:33 pm

maybe the tree was just trying to get even…