Brad Walker

Camera? Check. Ear pro? Check. Itchy trigger finger? CHECK!!! I had gotten up early in anticipation to cover the Legion Firearms Proving Ground demo day on Saturday and was not disappointed. The short 40 minute drive to The Best of the West Shooting Range in Liberty Hill, TX landed me at the event around 10 where we were all welcomed by a couple of full-auto mag dumps that quickly got the electricity going on the range. Everyone filed into separate lines of the weapon of their choice, whether it was the LF-P9 pistol or the array of LF-15 rifles and the fun began.

The crew from Legion had a vast buffet of LF-15 series rifles in every flavor you can imagine. Every rifle was setup a little differently from its neighbor. They had full-length LF-15′s with Browe Optics to their new SBR prototype with Aimpoints and everything in between. This gave all the folks who attended the ability to test each configuration and really get a feel for what they like and how the Legion rifles handle. I for one was a big fan of the full-length LF-15 Delta that had been hydro-dipped in the Multicam pattern. I must say, it shot like a dream.

The monolithic upper combined with their killer hexagonal cut barrel made for an extremely light, maneuverable and accurate shooting experience.

Quite a few vendors made the show, as well. Off The Grid Concepts had a great booth with plenty of kydex on display. The ladies from Austin Sure Shots, GT Distributors and Round 2 Brass and Reloading were also on hand showing their love. Legion and the vendors gave the folks that came out a chance to win some great prizes throughout the day, and the crew from Wahoo’s Fish Tacos manned the grill and served up all the grub for the day’s festivities.

Overall, it was a great day with some great people and great weapons. Plenty of people showed up to throw some lead downrange, meet all the great vendors and hang out with like-minded, gun-loving individuals who were all able to put Legion’s best to the test.

Feel free to peruse through Legion Firearms’ arsenal at www.legionfirearms.com.

About the Author: Brad Walker is former enlisted man, now WO, who may or may not be Danny McBride’s evil twin. A ten year Army Aviation veteran who was an NCO before going to flight school, he now drives Apaches and is an FAA privately licensed rotary wing aircraft pilot. He’s got a strong background in trauma/casualty care and SERE, loves to shoot and writes when his muse grabs him. Hopefully you’ll see more of him on Kit Up!

Jamie R. Wehmeyer June 25, 2012 at 5:43 am

It was a awesome day to say the leaste…

straps June 25, 2012 at 8:31 am

"I for one was a big fan of the full-length LF-15 Delta that had been hydro-dipped in the Multicam pattern."

…but not enough of a fan to post a pic?

Alan LaFrance June 25, 2012 at 8:54 am

Had fun, and it was good running into you again Brad. Don't forget Texas Gun Talk was there too broseidon!

Lance June 25, 2012 at 11:21 am

Looks fun hope they have a new camp in the Pacific North West soon.

Round 2 Brass & June 25, 2012 at 2:03 pm

YES, Texas Gun Talk was there! And so was GetPunchy.com and Monty on Guns!!
Thanks for the plug, we had a great time and shook a lot of hands. Great group of people- the Legion team and everyone else. We're already excited for next year

Monty On Guns June 26, 2012 at 6:36 am

Hooah!

Johmny June 25, 2012 at 7:23 pm

FYI…Wahoo's wasn't manning the grill, friends of one of the Legion staff showed up to provide burgers, sausages, and tasty bacon wrapped hotdogs. They don't grill for a living, but maybe they should!

Round 2 Brass & June 25, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Wahoo's was there as well, handing out fish tacos, tortilla roll ups and chips/salsa

Chino July 9, 2012 at 12:25 am

I like what I've seen about Legion Firearms and am looking forward to seeing more in the future. I lean towards the bullpup format but, am willing to consider the M16 platform. I'm a senior citizen and on fixed income and a purchase of any firearm would be a big expenditure which I would have to save up for. However, I believe in my live time as short as it is, we will see very dificult times where we will have no choice but to defend what little we might have with deadly force. I may go to spirit in defence of my loved ones but, I want them to take what tools I might have to continue the survival of remaining family, to includes firearms. I think Legion may have the quality that can be handed down with pride and not just seen as "Grampa's old gun." As a former Force Recon Marine, I have the attitude that that got me in trouble many times but, also recognizes that the use of deadly force will be a necessity in the not too distant future. Though it is sad to be pushed to the point of killing a fellow American, we all will have to do what is necessary to survive and I hope Legion Firearms will will show me something that I will want over the bullpup platform. You have my attention alrready.