via Strike-Hold!.

“The indiginously designed and manufactured CZ 805 BREN assault rifle which was recently accepted into service with the Czech Republic’s defence forces has justifiably been receiving a fair amount of attention and accolades.  Now the Czech’s have announced plans to upgrade their entire inventory of personal weapons…”

The Ministry of Defence of the Czech Republic plans to buy approximately ten thousand CZ 805 BREN assault rifles, seven thousand CZ 75 PHANTOM pistols and 500 CZ SCORPION sub-machine guns during next several years…”

Read the original story in its entirety.

Go Navy! August 2, 2012 at 4:01 am

I wonder how reliable it is. It looks like a Bushmaster ACR. Good to see Czech updated their combat rifle. Looks like they are using ITW Fast Mag Pouches too.

Joshua August 2, 2012 at 4:23 am

Meh, the few guys who I talked to about it during testing said thy hated it and would rather update the VZ.58

JTMedic August 2, 2012 at 6:06 am

Actually it's pretty much a knockoff.
Same multi-cal, quick change barrel concept and modular design.

Sev August 2, 2012 at 6:43 am

Why can't we do that here?!

Joshua August 2, 2012 at 7:25 am

Because we dont need to.

They are going from a 7.62 rifle to a 5.56 rifle so of course a new platform is needed. We did that 50yrs ago when we went to the M16 then the M4. The PiP will give the M4 the upgrades it needs with a new BCG and FF rail, thats all the M4 needs.

18x August 2, 2012 at 7:03 am

Its like a cobo of the G36 and ACR.

18x August 2, 2012 at 7:04 am

Its like a combo of the G36 and ACR.

18x August 2, 2012 at 9:24 am

Are those fast mags any good? I've seen a couple guys with them but have yet to ask what they think of them I even saw a guy with them upside down, which I like it looked like you got a better purchase on the mag for a mag change.

Go Navy! August 3, 2012 at 6:28 am

To be honest, I don't have any myself. I have been meaning to get some for a Carbine course. I do have other ITW products and I can tell you they make good quality plastic parts. For example, they are a current supplier to Camelbak for Hydration carriers's buckles. A lot of the US Military packs have ITW buckles on them (they are a Tier II to Speciality Defense). These fast mag pouches were in the Transformer III movie :) too.

tu August 2, 2012 at 11:39 am

looks more like the robinson arms XCR. though i agree…saw the mags and immediately thought HK.

Rapier975 August 2, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Doesn't look anything like an xcr. Probably has better QC that Robinson too.

Joshua August 2, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Havin seen the insides its almost and exact copy of the SCAR though more cheaply made.

Rapier975 August 2, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Got this info from wiki, so don't know how reliable it is, but they state while it is superficially similar to the scar, it is different internally. The scar was entered into the comp for the new Czech rifle, but was beaten by the Bren. I seriously doubt it is more cheaply made. CZ has a long history of making excellent guns.

Joshua August 2, 2012 at 6:56 pm

the cheaply made comment was made by the two guys I talked to who were in the testing of the rifle. they commented on how the rifle its self felt cheap, then again they were used to the VZ.58.

It is different, but if you look at the parts you can tell it certainly borrowed alot from the SCAR, as to if the SCAR beat the 805, im not sure, I honestly didnt ask, but I would reckon some of that whole made here had to do with it.

Pat August 3, 2012 at 5:50 am

The Czechs have always made good guns from small arms to artillery.

Roger Swanson August 3, 2012 at 7:12 am

The assult rifre looks more than capable. I am not up on such things. (not having an actual need to keep up), I am more interested in the thing that is covering the right ear of the closest guy. it looks to be a small camara. (video)? Does anyone have any feed back on it.
If it is, a good way to keep track of whats going on for the commanders to know whats happening. Also it does not look like there is a ton of equipment to carry to make it work. I wonder if the US has any such equipment.

Jack August 3, 2012 at 8:39 am

This whole article is fake. This is actually an advertisement for a new Johnny Depp movie.
(that's a big J/K before anybody gets riled up)

North Ash August 3, 2012 at 8:58 pm

As I recall that German bloke with the moustache invaded Czekoslavakia in those days in part to get access to their small arm industry. They have a long history of making very good weapons. Good on them. Hard to fathom critical comments based on what it looks like.

William C. August 4, 2012 at 3:05 am

I'd say it looks more like a cross between a G36 and SCAR.

The Czech small arms industry seems to have a good reputation, I'm sure this will be a good replacement for the vz. 58. But I'm betting the scopes, lights, and all of those accessories will be the most appreciated part of this modernization.

Will they be getting a new LMG or automatic rifle to complement the CZ 805?

Riceball August 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Not just their small arms industry specifically, more like their arms industry as a whole but arms wasn't the only reason. However, not much of the seized Czech arms really went into major front line service, like virtually all other arms and weapons captured by the Germans during WW II, they went mostly to rear echelon units responsible for the garrisoning and policing of captured territory. Front line units were mostly issued weapons of German design and/or manufacture.