What do you guys think of this? We think it’s a pretty good fundamental reference sheet but we haven’t been shooting at the basic/fundamental level since back in the days when we accompanied Dusty, Lucky and Ned on the raid to relieve Santo Poco.

What do you think and how could it be improved?

If you’re left handed, flip it. If you’re using it to improve wank sock skills…well, that’s a topic for a different blog entirely.

Thanks to Red Stitch Tactical, who reminded us it was there.

Mad Duo Clear

Jon Wilson August 8, 2012 at 11:35 am

I like it. I wish this was around when I first started shooting many moons ago.

Pete Sheppard August 8, 2012 at 11:38 am

It has been around for a while; but is not nearly as well-known as it should be. The gun forum are full of "My gun shoots low-left/ right.
These charts can help clear a lot of that up; posting at every range would help a lot of shooters!

FormerSFMedic August 8, 2012 at 12:03 pm

The theory makes sense, unfortunately these kind of charts don't really work well. A shooter would do themselves much better if they focused on what they were doing rather than what was going on downrange. These charts are nearly useless.

JTMedic August 8, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I have to agree,

It's great for class rooms, blogs, books… Etc, but I've never seen it really help much on the range.

I have seen it screw up a decent shooter though, he started over thinking everthing.

To each his own I guess.

majrod August 8, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Agree with both medics though these provide areas to look at if you are having problems. It's a tool but the basics are king!

greyghost August 8, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I saw this at the Local Bass Pro Shooting range Last weekend when I was zeroing my TLR-4 Laser on my Glock. Very nice, but it must have been at Bass Pro for atleast 6 months judging by the wear and tear of the paper.

B1148 August 8, 2012 at 3:35 pm

It is important to remember that this applies to one handed bullseye shooting only. A two handed grip introduces other variables that may not apply to this chart.

Pete Sheppard August 8, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Where it really helped me was in understanding the need to focus on a straight trigger press. Even with a two-hand grip, I would push the pistol slightly to one side as I pressed the trigger. It took a lot of focused practice to correct the problem, especially with the smaller guns I carry.

Jack August 9, 2012 at 9:32 am

Pete, I totally agree. I tend to shoot tight groups…all at about the 7 o'clock position. I learned from KitUp in another topic that the wrong part of my finger was on the trigger.
It is a good aid to have but all people and guns shoot different.

ding August 8, 2012 at 8:16 pm

It can be used to correct a deficiency if your doing everything else perfectly, most shooters probably have multiple issues

James August 8, 2012 at 10:59 pm

And the chart doesn't take into account that the sights may be off! Never used one of these charts, and I have no problem keeping 'em in the X-ring!

Pete Sheppard August 9, 2012 at 4:15 am

That's why it's called an 'aid' :-) It is just one tool.
Between sights and shooters, though, the problem is most often *behind* the sights. I've spoken with many shooters who swore their sights were off, until they let someone else shoot their gun…
Sometimes I've wondered the same of guns I've shot. They seemed to be off so consistently that I started to think that I was just going to have to hold off the target. With practice, though, I realized that my TRIGGER PULL was consistently off. :-?

Cpl Jackson USMC August 9, 2012 at 7:26 am

Dont Bad Mouth a Sitting president and respect presdential candidates…If you are a Vet or active duty you Should all Know this in this forum…

AL August 9, 2012 at 7:27 am

Agreed 100%

David Reeder August 9, 2012 at 8:42 am

^^You beat me to it, Cpl Jackson.

Tim August 9, 2012 at 8:05 am

This Handgun Accuracy Chart was actually taken straight from the US Army Marksmanship Unit Training Guide

David Reeder August 9, 2012 at 9:16 am

ALCON: Leave any off-color or inappropriate commentary about your political inclinations (or religious ones) out of the discussion here. It's about the gear, and occasionally training. Once in a while we will discuss an emotional or contentious issue; in every case we expect our readership to maintain a level of mutual respect and professionalism. When it comes to politics, so we're clear: I don't give a damn what you think of the current (or any other) administration, give the office of POTUS the respect it deserves. Thank you in advance! The management.

Al T. August 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm

B1148 beat me to it and he is exactly right.

Gerald E. Mahle September 18, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Gonna try another, first post went astray. Ding is absolutely right. I shot bulls-eye on five different teams, Eighth Army, UsarHaw(Hawaii), N.C. Reserve team, S.C. Nat. Guard Team, etc. You MUST BE LOOKING AT THE FRONT SIGHT when the pistol fires. In addition, you MUST press the trigger evenly STRAIGHT TO THE REAR. If you do these two things, your (correctly aligned) front sight can wander all over the bull and you will still be in the black, even at 50 yards. This is where this chart comes in. If you're shooting a decent group and throwing several off in the same area, this chart will tell you why. An excellent drill is to have a friend load your pistol and (safely) pass it to you. When you squeeze one off on an empty chamber, you will see EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING WRONG. This is called a Ball and Dummy exercise.

straps December 12, 2012 at 4:26 pm