Cut down a tree. Drive a screw into a 2×4. Cut the wire to your demo charge and crimp the…whatever needs crimping thingy.

Then make a call.

Task One is currently on IndieGoGo. It’s a multi-tool case for your iPhone, containing 16 tools made of aircraft aluminum, tool steels and polycarbonate. The tools are folded into an aircraft aluminum housing connected to your iPhone though polycarbonate bands and secured by spring assemblies. There is a raised bezel on the front of the screen to keep it undamaged when the tools are deployed.

Assuming the case itself provides some sort of impact protection, I think this could be an interesting purchase, particularly for those who routinely carry a multi-tool as part of their EDC.

I’m going to pre-order one Indie GoGo and will advise what it’s like when I have it in hand.

The Task One will be available in Slate Grey, Jet Black, Cherry Red and Orange Flame.

Tools include:

• 2.5″ knife with 0.75″ of serrations
  • 1.8″ Sawblade
  • Small flathead screwdriver
  • Large flathead screwdriver
  • Medium Phillips screwdriver
  • Needle-nose pliers
  • Wire cutters
  • 6 metric Allen wrenches
  • Wire stripper
  • 120mm ruler (110mm on iPhone 4/4s)
  • Bottle opener
  • Kickstand

Will November 27, 2012 at 11:31 am

Make sure you don't accidentally try to get this thing through airport security. Haha

SleepyDave November 27, 2012 at 10:24 pm

That was the first thing I thought. Someone is going to take this through the TSA line and get away with it for 6 months, like that guy who had one of those silly carabiner knives who was on and off plans daily for weeks.

Andrew November 27, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Seems like a good way to break your phone.

Hattie Harvey November 27, 2012 at 7:49 pm

The website has a video demo on the stress test, which shows that it can withstand a lot of force! Interesting!

Glenno November 27, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I think I'll wait for the model that has the head-blade and the nose hair trimmer and comes in Multicam.

Addison Shelton November 27, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Thanks for the review David, I am glad you like the case! I am the designer of the case, so I thought I would answer a few of the questions that you guys and gals will probably have: The iPhone5 case weights 96g, so not a feather but pretty darn light for the tools it contains (an otterbox defender case weights 114g w/ holster). The knife is removable in a few seconds with no tools for storage in checked luggage (and we will replace it for the cost of shipping if you have to surrender it at the airport). Finally, if you check out the additional videos on the Indiegogo site you can see some stress testing of the case with my own iPhone5 where I put the screwdriver in a vice and apply enough force to break the tool, but the case and the phone are completely un-harmed! Support us if you like the concept, and please keep giving me feedback so I can improve the design.

Bryon Wright November 27, 2012 at 3:06 pm

This is the perfect addition for the iPhone since it's maps constantly try to steer me into the ocean. The serrated edge will make quick work of my seatbelt once my car is submerged in water and the Philips head screwdriver appears to be sturdy enough to break the class in my drivers side window so I can make a speedy escape while my car makes it's final death throes into the depths of the ocean.

John November 27, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Such vivid imagery.

Patrocles in OD November 28, 2012 at 9:58 am

Awesome.

Bryon Wright November 27, 2012 at 3:08 pm

glass* wow.

Tacticaltshirts.com November 28, 2012 at 6:00 am

Have to admit, which I thought of this.

Tacticaltshirts.com November 28, 2012 at 6:00 am

Wish. Damn typos.

Tacticaltshirts.com November 28, 2012 at 6:05 am

I'll be the first to say it. The first people who will take note of these will be LE and static security screeners. I'm sure the bulletins will go out this week. Now…you could actually have a justified shooting of someone who "didn't drop the phone". If something is in their hand, they will kill you with it.

Kershaw February 24, 2013 at 8:38 am

Has anyone actually used this? Can anyone speak to the robustness? It looks awesome if it will protect your phone, but I could see the phone getting hurt with this in the hands of the average user.

Addison Shelton February 24, 2013 at 10:48 am

Hi Kershaw,

We are currently producing our first manufacturing run of the TaskOne cases, so they are not on the market just yet, they are currently available for pre-order and will be shipping in April. We are excited to get them into everyone's hands for lots of "real-life" use. The tools and the enclosure are very robust, if you take a look at our website we have some good videos of stress-testing the case and tools to failure with an iPhone 5 and the iPhone remaining completely un-damaged!