Glock_30S_3

The New Glock 30s

by Brad Walker

I had the opportunity to shoot the newly anticipated Glock 30s yesterday morning at the Media Day range at SHOT Show. It’s essentially a Glock 36 slide variant on a 30sf frame. With all the new releases by Springfield Armory’s XDs series, it seems as if Glock needed a slim-framed pistol that would compete in the ever-popular world of concealable slim guns. The Glock 30s was their answer. While not a revolutionary concept, it does provide options for shooters out there with small hands or a naturally smaller grip the ability to peruse more than one website for a short-slide/slim-framed conceal carry pistol.

Glock_30S_2

Shooting the 30s was like shooting most other SF(short frame) Glocks with difference lying [for me] in the recoil. It wasn’t bad considering you’re shooting a .45, however the XDs .45 has a smoother recoil in my opinion. That said, it’s nothing the end user will not be able to overcome or even be able to notice in most instances. The most noticeable characteristic for me was the notched and stepped magwell and extended magazine baseplate that allows the user to get that lonely pinky out of the breeze and back in the fight. For those who carry a -21 or a -21Sf it also provides a secondary or off-duty option that will run the same magazines (much as the -19 and -26 mags work).

Overall – and keep in mind this is within the context of the very limited amount of time I had available to get a feel for it – it seems like a great pistol for those in need of a slim-framed pistol that adds another option for gun-lovers like you and I to ponder over and discuss. Get out there and check one out and decide for yourself.

Brad_Gunny

Author with the Gunny out at Media Day

Mr Steve Roberts January 15, 2013 at 10:25 am
Joshua Respecki January 15, 2013 at 11:01 am

Whoah are comments working now wtf??!

RAAFieReservist January 15, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Yes, I just noticed that too!

dustin January 15, 2013 at 12:23 pm

so its just a thinner slide than the original 30's?

Mr Steve Roberts January 15, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I love my Glock 30 and use it as my concealed carry weapon.

Joshua Respecki January 15, 2013 at 5:22 pm

The fact that the gunny is wearing a average M-65 field jacket makes him very respectable. No cool guy gear for him, just ass kicking!

david January 17, 2013 at 12:00 am

I've carried the 30 for years as an off duty and when I worked undercover. Works great with the clip draw holster. I don't know about the new 30 but the old one like mine has a fat spring and I can't tell the difference between my duty 21 and the 30 in recoil. I also like the idea of being able to use my 21's magazine in the 30, unlike the 36.

Dale January 17, 2013 at 6:30 am

I look forward to trying one out. Might be what I need !

galloglas January 17, 2013 at 7:45 am

GREAT NEWS, now turn the weapon in you evil gun owners and makers.

What's the point? showing guns no one can legally own?

LeeC January 19, 2013 at 12:18 am

the G30S… this is a G30SF with a G36 slide. So close to what I want!! Now, if only I can convince them to create the "G30S XT"… as above but with a G23 length grip with a G27 style bottom. The gun would be no taller than it is now, it would create a better grip and get rid of the gawdawful mag lump.

John July 2, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Get the G30S and replace your mag floor plates with Pearce PG-30 floor plates and you'll be good to go.

LeeC July 6, 2013 at 2:01 am

Hi, John
Thanks for trying to help, but my issue is that the 'baby' GLOCKS (2 finger) grips are too short and I have to extract mags with my support hand and they want to bite the heel of my shooting hand upon a reload. I want a longer grip (3 finger) and have a true drop free setup. My design would have the same physical size as the G30S. Thanks again for trying… but I'm going to hold out for my G30S XT!

Zack January 19, 2013 at 4:00 pm

They need to make a single stack version of the Glock 26 and 27. Why is it so hard for Glock to listen to their consumer base?

R & R January 22, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I got # 15… Great UC/concealed carry gun. Married it up with an RCS. Already put 500 rounds of ball, and 500 rounds of duty ammo… No issues. Good times…

Greg pass February 10, 2013 at 7:57 pm

WHAT

Greg pass February 10, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I love my glock 30s! I like it better than my G23 and my G27. GREAT knock down power..

byhsu February 21, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Yes, i think so too. make it .8" thick with about 5.75" overall length with about 4.5 height with a grip with finger groups and 7+1, price it under $400 and they would have a big market for it.

byhsu February 21, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Yes, i think so too. make it .8″ thick with about 5.75″ overall length with about 4.5 height with a grip with finger grooves and 7+1, price it under $400 and they would have a big market for it.

Christopher Brosnaha March 13, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Recently bought a G30 – my bud tried to talk me into a G36, but couldn't see the point of getting a 6 shot (more with a mag extension) when a G30 is not much larger and has AT LEAST a 9 round capacity (can't understand why Glock factory replacement mags are only 9 rounds while the ones issued with the new pistol are 10 rounders). Still – I like to shoot as much as possible and reload to feed my habit – I use 200 grainers both plated & cast – will have to see how the LCSW projos function in both my G21 & G30…Thank God I invested in reloading equipment as far back as 1972 (Army, Illesheim, Germany)…have gone from a Rock Chucker to an RL550B. Once a Glock hater, now a Glock lover..

CB in FL

Guest July 28, 2013 at 4:37 pm

….gun-lovers like you and ME to ponder over, not gun-lovers like you and I…..