I got the chance to spend the time with Mike Pettingill and Zachary Law (the guys behind Law Tactical) on the last day of SHOT and I’m glad I did. As of just a couple months ago they completed their Gen2 Folding Stock Adapter for ARs. To say I was extremely impressed with it after going through the entire backstory and explanation is to damn it with faint praise. Within its niche, which is to say for those people who need it, this is going to be a good accessory.
There are a number of reasons for folding a stock, but ultimately it boils down to shortening the weapon, whether for storage or concealment. You can only reduce the front end (by shortening the barrel) by so much. To really get down to stash-in-a-backpack size you need to do something with the stock. Hence this piece from Law Tactical.
Now, I’m not going into all the details about why this works here. Instead I’ve asked Zach and Mike to watch the article and respond to your questions or concerns. I will give you a brief rundown, though, to spare redundancy and the basic questions.
- It will only fire one round while it’s folded and nothing going to come flying out the back end and harpoon your face when you pull the trigger (or so I am assured).
- It will work on any caliber AR frame weapon. 5.56mm, .223, .308, .300 BLK, etc.
- It is compatible with direct impingement or gas piston systems and will function with A2, carbine, MilSpec or commercial buffer tubes and stocks.
- The adapter is user adjusted for hinge tension.
- It has been strengthened and the profile lowered since Gen 1.
- One test model has had over 4,000 rounds through it so far without any failures or compromise.
- It unfolds to fire in less than 1 second, requiring no fine motor skills.
- Has an integral QD sling attachment
- Designed, built and assembled in the USA from CNC machined, hard-anodized aluminum.
- The adaptor does not affect gun function unfolded. The rear portion of the adapter is built to the same specifications as a standard receiver to ensure maximum compatibility. An integrated single point sling attachment point is included.
From a motorcycle officer: PWS MK 107 Diablo 5.56 with a Law Tactical folding stock adapter. Total length is 18 inches folded. The bike is a BMW 1200RTP. “I am able to carry my AR 15 with me on my motorcycle. In an active shooter situation our motor unit will be the first ones on the scene. This will give me another option besides my handgun.”
Okay: ask your questions. I’ll let Law Tactical know to watch and respond.
That’s it for now. Go forth and conquer.