ballistickneepads

Armor Works will soon offer a new line of ballistic knee pads designed to shield soldier’s and Marine’s knee caps from enemy AK-47 fire.

The Arizona-based armor firm showed off a Level 3A version of the new ballistic knee pads on the Shot Show floor. Level 3A protects against 9mm rounds and shrapnel. A more protective version capable of stopping 7.62 x 39mm will be available soon, said William Perciballi, president and founder of Armor Works.

The new knee protection is the result of an 18-month effort with PEO Soldier to continue developing “extremity protection” options for soldiers in combat.

“For law enforcement, we are offering a level 3a, and for the military we are offering an assault-rifle version that is being tested right now,” Perciballi said. “It’s a good application for composite armor because composites have very good shaping capabilities. … We are adapting our military composite armor technology to this product where we mold the product to shape and come up with a ballistic component that hopefully people think is comfortable.”

On the level 3A version, the composite armor sits behind a hard outer shell. For the AK47 knee pad, the impact-resistant plasticballistickneepadsmc outer shell will be replaced with a composite armor shell with an abrasion-resistant coating.

It’s not clear right now how much heavier the level 3 knee pads will be compared to what soldiers currently wear.

“Every time you go up in protection, you add more armor and it gets a little heavier,” Perciballi said. “The balance we are trying to achieve is a protection level that isn’t too heavy and prevent people from wearing it.”

The less-protective, level 3A version on the floor didn’t feel that much different from standard knee pads.

The increased protection isn’t going to be cheap, though. The level 3A version is slated to retail for $150 a set. The price for the AK47 version has not been announced yet.

Armor Works will also be offering ballistic elbow pads with the same protection levels in mid March, Perciballi said.

DocCoy January 16, 2013 at 11:43 am

They should make shin guards as well, two piece construction with the knee pad shin guard combo – think a armored knights leg protect.

gunslinger6 January 17, 2013 at 6:32 am

Exactly what I was thinking!

steve January 18, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Good suggestion DocCoy……..

Myron January 16, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I want to live beyond space and time I want the secrets god used when he created the universe? Can you soliders help me live infinite life. FOREVER

Fred January 16, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I just showed my SSG that he'll soon be able to work on his promotion, even in combat!

Seriously though, I agree a bit with DocCoy, assuming it's not too damn heavy.

Beau January 17, 2013 at 7:44 am

Anybody who has walked for more than a mile in kit knows this stuff is simply not worth the effort. The current plastic knee pads end up around our ankles or more likely, under your cot back at the fire base. When I walked in those mountains, I wore a plate carrier and a ball cap. It did not even make sense to me riding in a gun turret in Iraq. I dropped the knee pads all the extra armor pieces to allow better circulation in the 130 degree heat. All the extra armor and PPE nonsense is for idiot colonels and Sergeants Major whose primary concern is the coffee maker breaking down.

MattF January 17, 2013 at 10:47 am

Solution looking for a problem…

This is typical of the 'Lets just add more PPE' mentality. The things would only work if you took a shot in the area that they covered; no side or rear coverage is provided, so they're not worth the weight.

Getting shot in the knee would suck, but it's not an immediate life threatening injury.

SleepyDave January 17, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Body armor is awesome, so we need more body armor!

Okay, so, lets assume that this plate actually did prevent the round from penetrating your knee. We're talking an amount of force that can crack ribs, so taking the round to the knee, assuming no penetration, is still going to hurt like all hell, and I could easily see this shattering a knee-cap. And how exactly is this heavy ass thing going to NOT wind up around my ankle?

Paul January 17, 2013 at 6:18 pm

This is simply "Ask a Bum" mentality. "Hey Bum, would wear these?" Bum – "No, that's stupid!"

Given I've been out for some time but are troops really falling for and wearing crap like this? Ugh….

Cav Scout January 17, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Beau nailed it. The only things these would be used for is PPE in training. The second you stepped away from Top these would be nice mantle pieces. The PPE we have now is already over kill this is killing over kill.

FatCircles0311 January 18, 2013 at 8:19 am

No Beau didn't "nail it". I wore my knee pads while operating all the damn time. The turds that didn't wear theirs were the same turds rarely taking a knee while patrolling standing around like a dumbass cause the sand in their vag caused by the pads was just too much to handle.

11B January 18, 2013 at 8:50 am

No, Beau nailed it. Maybe your squad was full of vag's, but in my squad we never wore kneepads and everybody took a knee. This is like the nape protector and the delt protector… nobody wears them. Some Col. made this crap up.

Rob January 18, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Why not just incorporate them into the BDU with velcro knee pockets?

Rob January 18, 2013 at 12:17 pm

The solution eliminates the straps thereby saving some cash in the process of making them easier to wear.

Beau January 18, 2013 at 8:50 pm

@FatCircles. No need to get nasty. We had different standards depending on the type of unit we served with. Mine lived by the "speed is security" doctrine in which we wore the minimum amount of armor and PPE we could get away with. This is because we wanted to be able to maneuver quickly under fire and have greater endurance on the long walks. When in the real hinterland we even gave up the armored vehicles in favor of ATVs because those pesky IEDs tended to hang out in roads and we did not want to be in them. Thank you for your service. Try to keep an open mind.

Beau January 18, 2013 at 8:58 pm

The new tactical pants with the knee pads inserts are starting to be fielded for deploying units this year. They are becoming more common but still fall in to the expensive "Gucci Gear" category. I have not worn them myself but I hear nothing but positive reviews from those who have.

19Series February 1, 2013 at 9:56 am

I liked the slotted folding knee pro they had at Shot. Tried it on was def. a lot more comfortable than the regular knee pads and seemed like it would be less prone to falling off. Then again i like the idea of them incorporated into the uniform as inserts as well. As much as i hate wearing them i have boney knees and it helps.

Matt Sonner March 27, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Armor Works and other companies that plan to provide ballistic knee or elbow pads to the DoD will have to license my patent first. I submitted this design to the Army in 2005 and PEO Soldier tested the Ballistic Knee Guard and Ballistic Elbow Guard in 2008. The Fragmention Resistant versions are comparable in weight to the non-ballistic foam only pads currently issued and are more comfortable. I served 21 years in the Infantry and consider them a valid body armor option depending on the Mission. Please visit TACARM on the web to also check out the Ballistic Combat Uniform and the Ballistic Combat Glove. The Army has chosen these products as part of the Extremity Protection Component of the Soldier Protection System.

Matt Sonner March 27, 2013 at 1:17 pm