Today’s guest post is courtesy of Spawn of Shooter, who usually writes on Under the Radar.

I don’t get to the range as much as I like, mostly because ammunition costs now eat up my allowance way faster than they used to. I do try to watch videos my dad, uncles and uncles’ friends don’t make fun of (my Uncle P, a retired STA Marine, is now a training sergeant for our city SO – he has a pretty good collection I can borrow, sometimes I’m allowed to watch them on the range, and I’ve had the chance to watch guys on the range at Ft. Leonard Wood and some other places). I try to keep an eye on videos from 3-Gun Nation, Viking Tactics, etc. Yesterday I caught another uncle (a retired Stryker SNCO) watching these:

So I’m curious…MagPul has videos, Panteao has videos, 5.11 Tactical has videos and all of those come with an explained background. How does the readership on Kit Up choose which videos to watch and/or recommend to your dependents or friends? Are all of them here in the US or are there good pages to watch from the UK, IDF and others? There’s only about 6 more years before I can get my CCW and I want to outshoot all the old guys sooner than later!

Spawn of Shooter

Chris "NuG&quot April 21, 2013 at 7:32 pm

It would be nice if you at least included my name on the video you posted of me. Many thanks to the support though sir!

Patrocles in OD April 21, 2013 at 9:40 pm

It’s on the title of the video when you play it, right? I see it when I watch it across the top after Action Pistol/Deadwood Boys. And it's on the YouTube description, so it's not like someone was taking credit for it. Just sayin'.

James Johnson April 22, 2013 at 1:05 am

Videos are not the same as real shooting and although you can watch and learn a little…nothing replaces muscle memory…without hands on range time…videos are worthless.

Rodney April 22, 2013 at 10:26 am

Until the ammo insanity subsides- Snapcaps!

Chris "NuG&quot April 22, 2013 at 8:28 am

@Patrocles in OD yea i know its there. i didnt mean to make it seem like any credit was being taken, i thought it was quite nice of them to post it.

@ james Muscle memory is everything

Gene Hinders April 22, 2013 at 9:00 am

There are alot of good videos out there and one can learn something from most everyone of them…sometimes it's good info and there are some that have some bad info. But there is knowledge to be learned and you can practice and apply what works for you..nothing beats in person training though!

sigmund April 22, 2013 at 9:29 pm

When is the AK12 coming stateside. :(

Law of Self Defense April 25, 2013 at 3:10 pm

This comment is directed at the parents of Spawn of Shooter (no offense, son):

I have a number of shooting books, DVDs, and (yeah, I'm old) VHS tapes, certainly several hundred dollars worth, mostly sitting up in my attic. If you're interested I could move myself to make a list of them, and I'd be willing to send them to you on loan, gratis, on your sworn oath to return them promptly when you're done with them. Only one at a time–to encourage the return on the previous one :-) –but all it would cost you is the return shipping to me.

If you're interested let me know and I'll draw up a list of what I have. For sure I have a relatively recent multi-DVD set of Tactical Rifle from MagPul, and a bunch of shooting books (mostly from the 1990s–again, I'm old–but the rules of marksmanship don't change all that much). The VHS stuff I'll have to check, I may already have donated that.

You can contact me, I expect, via the link in my username. If not, I'll check back periodically, you can leave a note for me here.