This is the new Downrange Tomahawk released last month by Gerber.

Gerber-Downrange-Tomahawk

Designed as a complete breaching tool and featuring an axe head, prybar and hammerhead, the Down Range Tomahawk is build in Portland, OR of 420HC steel (Cerakoted) and desert tan G-10. It comes with a MOLLE/PALS-compatible sheath and Kydex blade cover for ease of carry and rapid deployment.

“It’s a little less for going through logs and a little more for going through doors,” laughs Andrew Gritzbaugh, Marketing Manager for Gerber, but while that may be technically correct I can attest to its effectiveness. We had a tornado and some very high winds in my neck of the woods night before last. It provided perfect tomahawk fodder (although it did not take me long to switch to a chainsaw). I have not yet had a chance to use it on a proper door, though of course I really want to. Until then I’ll pass it on to some of the locals who will do a fine job trying to tear it up for me.

Gerber-Downrange-Tomahawk2

Gerber-Downrange-Tomahawk3“We collaborated with guys from a SWAT team in Nevada, active and prior service SF Soldiers, current and former NSW personnel and…other professionals,” Gritzbaugh continues. “This helped us develop a tool that accomplishes a number of forced entry tasks while reducing the number of tools carried.”

This obviously lightens the load, if you’re humping it on a pack, and helps minimize clutter and frees up space if you’re using it while mounted. Gerber reports strong initial sales and exceptional response in the marketplace, having already received a large number of unit and departmental orders. This is reflected in a lot of good end user feedback in social media.

Gerber-Downrange-Tomahawk4

Gerber-Downrange-Tomahawk5

Gerber-Downrange-Tomahawk6

Gerber-Downrange-Tomahawk7

Via the website:

Triple-Purpose Ax Head
There’s no arguing with a tomahawk. This is largely due to the Downrange’s three-tiered approach to tactical breaching. The axe head’s beveled edge is capable of chopping through drywall and turning walls and doors to splinters. The backside of the ax head functions as hammer for getting through hinges, locks, doorknobs and anything else that’s there to slow you down. The third threat is a pry bar at the end of the handle, controlled by a cutaway grip in the ax head.

Serious Pry Bar
Opposite the business end of the Downrange Tomahawk is a hefty pry bar. With a solid marriage of physics and force, you can confidently pry away using the cutaway handle in the ax head for leverage. The 420HC steel body with Cerakote™ will not bend or break, and the desert tan G-10 handle has integrated scales to keep the tool firmly in your hands no matter the conditions.

Packs Like a Pro
Tomahawks don’t exactly fit in your pocket, so it comes with a sheath that’s as practical as the tool itself. No matter what line of duty you serve in, if this tool is going to make it to where the action is, it has to be easy to carry. Which is where the MOLLE-compatible sheath comes into play. It readily attaches to your pack, standard webbing or body armor, so it goes where you do.

• Overall Length: 19.27″ (48.9cm)
  • Weight: 1.9 lb. (861.8 g) without Sheath, 2.5 lbs. (1133.9 g) with sheath
  • Steel Type: 420HC
  • Handle Material: G-10

nuwishastail July 26, 2013 at 9:10 am

nice one! I've been pestering Gerber Australia to get my hands on one, but they haven't gotten back to me, and Gerber US won't ship it international … ahh well, waiting game! looking great David!

josh
Apocalypse Equipped

DB Cooper July 26, 2013 at 4:18 pm

How about posting an estimated price when you run stories like this/

tomaso July 26, 2013 at 5:00 pm

DB its 275ish…he did have a direct link to the company in the sub title…and seems many are disappointed in the price.

tomaso July 26, 2013 at 5:02 pm

i very much like it…but at its price, ill never own one.

moondawg July 26, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Is this legal under the rules of land warfare?

Krakass July 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Yup, you just have to aim for their equipment…

@KY_USMC_1 July 27, 2013 at 2:53 pm

As of 7-27-13 the price on the Gerber site is $285. Very nice piece of equipment, but I was thinking it would be around the $150 range. Maybe the price will go down after the newness dies off.

liam July 27, 2013 at 3:33 pm

…no matter how you cut it TOPS makes a good axe!1 The fireman's ax they have is a BEAST!! used it down range as well as their Smoke jumper's knife…another beast!! Gerber does make good knives…but TOPS knives are the best that I have…and I have a few, even today when I am out in the wilderness, I woud not trust my life to anything else…period!!

Tirod July 30, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I saw one of those researching 'hawks. Having a proprietary bolted on head doesn't inspire confidence – lose or damage the bolt, it's toast, and the head being replaceable tells me it's either a gimmick or a testimony to it's ability to take on the job.

I'll pass on TOPS. Gerber's effort looks competent, the tools are integrated and resemble an aggressive carpenter's tool. For breaching, a lot of the effort is having either leverage or penetration – that's not in much evidence here, there's no pick. What you have is either a light weight cutaway hawk or a pry tool. Looking at other designs and having used similar tools to tear out lathe and plaster, framing, etc., a pick is preferred to gain leverage. Same for ground work, no pick, no grubbing. You can't hammer roots and rocks out of the ground. It's why a mattock has a pick, and why a hammer has claws – rolling leverage does more work better.

There are other hawks on the market less expensive that this, which have gotten my attention. A simple search with image display will get quite a few up on the screen. Like a hammer or or knife, different tools have different features, the shape is specific to a task and up to the individual's discretion. Focusing on Brand alone can be it's own reward – Gerber as much as any other has put out value engineered products. Looking at the TOPS stuff you see a lot of cues it's been styled for looks, not built for toughness.