New MRE Lineup Introduced

MRESorry to those who preferred the vegetarian lasagna, refried beans, potato cheddar soup and chicken fajitas when digging through the Meals, Ready-to-Eat (MRE) piles. Barbecue shredded beef, vegetarian taco pasta, and seasoned black beans will replace them starting in 2014.

The Combat Feeding Directorate went out and collected feedback from troops, and it turned out vegetarian lasagna didn’t have many fans.

Now, vegetarian taco pasta is a mystery. Google vegetarian taco pasta and images of spaghetti inside a taco shell come up. Look forward to see what that sort of dish looks and tastes like, but apparently troops liked it.

Jeanette Kennedy, a senior food technologist at Natick Labs, Mass., did answer why the common request for pizza has yet to make it into those plastic pouches. She acknowledged that pizza is the most requested food stuff for an MRE.

However, the food preservation technologies haven’t allowed Natick to make a suitable pizza that travels and lasts as long as the military needs. Eggs, deli meats and macaronia and cheese are other items in high demand.

Kennedy said the military is getting close to a break through. Right now the military uses the retort process to sterilize food. The food is heated up to 240 degrees in their pouches in order to kill the microbes that causes bacteria an food spoilage.

Natick Soldier Research is testing non-thermal, low-thermal, and advanced thermal processes in order to sterilize food, Kennedy said.

She predicted in an Army release that the next generation of food could be processed with “microwave sterilization, high pressure processing, super critical carbon dioxide preservation, or osmotic dehydration”

33 Comments on "New MRE Lineup Introduced"

1. Feel bad lasagne is out. No vegi crap id say. DO like the Pizza.

2. Duncan Anderson | August 2, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Reply

Why can’t they make the pizza like a lunch able just give the tomato past cheese and meat in separate pouches and then the wheat snack bread can be the crust…..

3. I miss my corned beef hash and 4 tabascos…..

4. What happened to ham and lima beans? With a little hot sauce from the mess hall, it was great.

5. Robert Everhart | August 3, 2013 at 8:37 am | Reply

In my early years with the military we had c-rations. I wish I had a truck load of the ham and eggs.

6. Daniel A. d'Errico | August 3, 2013 at 11:24 pm | Reply

Gone too are the hockey puck chocolate cookies that came with C-rats. LRRP meals were great for energy boosts. Whatever the young guys get these days has to be 100% better in everyway.

7. Pretty stoked for BBQ shredded beef. I carry a bottle of BBQ sauce in my pack regardless. Great with crackers and cheese.

8. mr casper shadow | August 4, 2013 at 4:11 am | Reply

take a tip from kathy mitchel of the redy-set-go cooker as seen on tv for field,combat,or emergency desaster use if most meals cook on average of 4 min then experment with your favorite mre recipies and have speciality mre packs of sauces,flavoring,s and seasoning,s to augment a verioity of taste,s.and have a portable power source that eather hand cranks or is solar powered like bell and howell plugin or lithium,or small win powered for personal use then youl have totaly funcitional no matter what thanks for reading lot of work ahead of you best of luck.

9. Not like it matters we'll have to pay for them anyway with how cheap the military has gotten thanks to those who want to cut our budget we make barely enough to feed our families let alone spend 12$ per mre when in the field guess you just have to go without eating for a week guess that's the new standard in the new army

10. Spartan Medic | August 4, 2013 at 7:53 am | Reply

I think they should get rid of the omelette MRE…no one that I've ever talked to since it came out likes the darn thing. It's like the country captain chicken of this generations MREs. I've never had C-rats….but I can tell you todays MRE's are much better than the T-rats we had when I first came in the army…I think they should also bring back the bacon and cheese…and make a potato skins MRE….hey it's vegetarian…idk just saying…

11. GoPicnic.com and other civilian companies have the technology for healthy balanced meals. The military food although I ate it for years was not nutrionally sound or healthy. No excuses anymore. The unhealthy food fed to our troops puts them on the road to bad health which surfaces years after they get out. Decisions on your health are made by gov't bids and you are the captive consumer. Glad I'm on to another part of my life but still love the P38. Also there is a travel cooker that boils water or cooks food. It is about the size of the guys helmet. Powered by 110-220v or a car ligter or battery. If I was in I'd have one. Demand healthier food choices or get people to mail it to you. Make the military items provide nutritional data and ingredient lists.

12. My first MRE had freeze dried straw berry short cake in it, and a pair of wayfarer sunglasses. They were awesome. South Atlantic early 80"s Years later I found delight in the enchilada dinner. 2002 / 2003OSW/OEF

13. I'd take my bouillon packet and make soup in my canteen coup out of all the freeze dried crap with some sorta whatever meat , heated over the exhaust port of the vehicle heater. Hot sauce done , it was delicious. Mixing c-rats and Mre's.

14. Anthony Davis | August 4, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Reply

I think anything you can put in a can (canned food) could be put in a pouch. Anything Chef Boyardee or Campbell's soups. Even Uncle Bens Rice. I am sure they can make a form of these or contact the manufacturer. The shelf life of most of these is roughly two years or more! somebody is making money somewhere, and it is a shame this is what dictates what troops eat. What you eat at home is what we would love to have in the field.

When I was in the Marines we used the metal that held the canteen to put several meals in and make a type of soup. I believe they no longer have those style of canteens.

15. Spam 'singles' are great with ketchup or bbq sauce.

16. Can't they subcontract MRE pizza to Dominos's? Only pizza in the world that tastes better cold and 3 days old than it odes fresh.

17. Announce the idea of MRE development to the public sector and you will have instant competition to supply the most nutritiously delicious food, produced by REAL food experts, for our troops utilizing the least amount of tax payers bucks. Ditch the over-charging government agencies serving up the current slop and let McDonalds, Taco Bell, Papa John's, Chick fil A, etc, compete for the troops appetites and palates!

18. AbnPfdr1136InfDet | August 5, 2013 at 2:25 am | Reply

Good(?) memories of the ham & chicken loaf…..the dehydrated beef patty was good….the oatmeal bar was a decent desert.

19. They should really just start giving us what most of the joes are going out and buying on their own dime anyway: beef jerky, trail mix, cans of tuna and crackers.

20. Pizza MRE's are already out and have been out..? I don't get the purpose of this article. Some of these guys are right. We wont have the funding to pay anyways this is just Mil Times filler. But makes me hungry…

21. Food in little green cans, a can opener that read "Greene 1951", two chiclets gum in cellophane, a four pack of very dry Pell Mell cigarettes and an OD green pack of matches. Looking back, life was good even when it rained.

22. Nothing beats hm & egg c-rats with a little tabasco sauce.

23. You know they can't even produce the stable American faire, like bologna and cheese sandwich, or hamburger and they want to try "exotic" meals like vegetable lasagna and Jamaican porkchop???

24. Yvettes Sherpa | August 6, 2013 at 8:41 am | Reply

Don't forget the five fingers of death. lol I loved the dried strawberries just eatting it like a cracker. Pure sugar!!!

25. Douglas M. Waggoner | August 6, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Reply

I issue a challenge to the creators and designers of MREs. Eat only those for one month.

26. Who remembers Chicken a la King? Wow, that was nasty! This was back when you could barely open the MRE sack! And it came with no treats or candies too like the others did. There was maybe a cracker, a tube of peanut butter, a fiberglass fruit salad bar and a packet of coffee. When Supply issued new MREs, Chicken a la King was always the one the troops left in the box.

27. Rick O'Connell | August 6, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Reply

I remember eating a cold can of beef stew, mistook a big blob of grease for a potato very nasty. Had K rat beer dated 1948, green can tasted good in 1970, but you had to be there.

28. Unless you ate C rats ……stop complaining. Not only did they plug you up, they were nearly all grease and they weighed a ton to hump.

29. OMG Pork Chowmain was the best dinner ever besides Beans and Beatballs. Nothing like a Ham& Cheese omlett with a cheese melted into it and a Hot Chochlet with Cofee and a cereal bar for breakfast!! Ahhhhh the good old days, gone but not forgotten. I hope that these meals just keep getting better for these soldiers. They desaerve it!!

30. Ah yes…ham and lima beans…beans and mother f**ckers!

31. Purpleheartpark | August 9, 2013 at 10:05 am | Reply

. We used to get SP Packs with our C-Rations. Inside was sun tan lotion, Water purification pills, Cartons of Camels, Hershey's Tropical Candy Bars and everybody's favorite Spark Plug Chewing Tobacco. The hardest block of Chewing Tobacco to have ever been produced.

32. Did that article really say it gets heated to 240 degrees in the pouches to kill the germs???? I have only seen 3 or 4 times when the heater supplied was able to heat everything in the bag hot enough to eat.. We useed little camp stoves and made MRE"toys" with the heaters.

33. still taste like shit!