CS88CSABn

I definitely don’t need one of these. But I kinda like it. Cold Steel’s new 1917 Frontier Bowie has a 12.25 inch 1055 carbon steel blade and a rosewood handle.

The blued blade is .25 of an inch thick and is “heat treated to a hard spring temper.” It weighs 23.8 ounces and comes with a leather sheath with blued steel fittings. It retails for $200, but knifeCenter.com has them for $119. 95.

CS88CSABna

Moondawg February 28, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Now that is a knife that could be very useful as a field/fighting knife. But wait, that exact design has been a battle proven field/fighting knife for almost 200 years. Kudo's to Cold Steel for a superior blade at a reasonable price.

Me in Missouri March 1, 2014 at 5:34 pm

"…that exact design has been a battle proven field/fighting knife…"

Which means the Mad Dog knife trolls will be around saying this a rip off design. LOL!

Blue Falcon March 1, 2014 at 11:23 pm

As soon as Tim Tang rips off Cold Steel and makes them in Twain for $100 less.

Mike S. March 5, 2014 at 11:10 am

I don't find it impressive at all for use in either combat or bushcraft. Those thin clip-point blade tips, even with .25 in. steel, are way too fragile for anything requiring stabbing or hacking motions on hard wood, bone, etc. That blade design is basically for skinning only, and the Bowie size for large game. For bushcraft I want a blunter tip like a tanto or drop point.

Bear Heart March 8, 2014 at 11:36 am

To my knowledge, the Bowie was specifically designed as a combat knife. Fragile tip? Not if this video holds any truth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bBHejauBWE
Yes – it is a CS video, but still…

HalP February 28, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Looks awesome, although I don't think I would like the handle. Would prefer a rounder grip that is texturized (is that even a word) in some way.

Killer looks though, and I really like the sheath. Doesn't seem to have the 50% extra material that many have these days.

Virgil Hilts March 1, 2014 at 7:47 am

Textured is a word…it's a verb….I think. Texturized is ALSO a pretty good word…but the spellchecker here seems to disagree…..like you or I give a KRAP!

Virgil Hilts March 1, 2014 at 7:49 am

Almost forgot: 'Texturized' would be an adjective….answering the question, "which, how many, or what kind of": English teachers everywhere are probably cheering at this very moment, :-)

HalP March 3, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Haha thanks!

defensor fortisimo March 2, 2014 at 11:15 am

I won't lie, I'm a bit of a sucker for cold steel. I have their rajah III as part of my EDC, just got my hands on their brave heart model, and even use a pair of their Kali sticks from time to time. I'm not on the market for a classic looking bowie blade, but if I was, this might well make my list.