STEYR_L40-A1

Steyr Arms is now offering a .40 S&W version of its full-size L-A1 service pistol to the U.S. market.

The L40-A1 is a striker-fired pistol that features a full-length slide, 4.5-inch cold-hammer-forged barrel and 12-round magazine capacity for .40 S&W.

“The new L40-A1 is nearly identical in form and function to the L9-A1 and other handguns in the Steyr line, which combine unparalleled ergonomics, a low bore axis, remarkable safety features, extreme reliability and amazing accuracy—thanks to a consistently crisp trigger break and short, distinct reset,” Steyr officials maintain.

“The L40-A1’s full-size polymer frame offers a high grip that places the barrel axis lower in the hand to mitigate muzzle rise, while creating a perfect grip angle and a very natural point of aim.”

The drift-adjustable sights are in the Steyr’s intuitive trapezoidal configuration, and a Picatinny rail on the frame’s dust cover provides a mounting position for illumination and laser-aiming devices.

The integrated trigger safety within the recently redesigned Reset Action System trigger requires positive finger pressure to operate Steyr’s double-action-only mechanism. This striker-fired pistol also incorporates a keyed safety lock.

The suggested retail price of the Steyr L40-A1 pistol is $560.

Lance June 27, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Awnser is why bother with this. If you want perfection in plastic frame handguns get a Glock.

Stefan S. June 27, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I'll put my HK USP tactical against Glock anyday!

robot June 28, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I'LL PUT MY GUCCI AGAINST PRADA ANYDAY! TAKE THAT STEFAN :) THUMBS UP FOR OVERPRICED BS TEEHEEK

Pete June 27, 2014 at 5:39 pm

LOL, perfection in plastic frame handguns? Obviously you’ve never shot or cleaned a Steyr M/S/L series pistol before. There’s very good reasons these pistols haven’t caught on like Glocks, but they have nothing to do with the design and everything to do with timing and importer foibles.
I like Glocks, but the Steyr is a better design. Subjectively, I like shooting my M9A1 better than any Glock I’ve shot. Objectively, it is worlds easier to maintain and clean, has a shorter trigger reset, has the only actually useful loaded chamber indicator I’ve ever seen on a firearm, and… is WAAAY harder to find accessories for (but easier than it was 5 years ago).

straps June 27, 2014 at 7:07 pm

BLASPHEMY! Complimentary sentiments about a general issue weapon!

And spoken in the same breath as criticism of "America's Gun."

Also, Wilson Combat is now tuning 92's. Head over there for a peek.

9IDdoc June 27, 2014 at 8:24 pm

This striker-fired pistol also incorporates a keyed safety lock.

phhhhft…..

casual observer June 30, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Agreed – will never by a pistol with this "feature"

Fred June 29, 2014 at 10:06 pm

If it's "perfection", why do you have to put real sights on them yourself?

Jim July 12, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Once you actually try the sights, instead of just looking at them you'd understand. The trapezoidal sights are lower profile, will snag less on clothing, and allow for much faster target acquisition than square sights (because the mind is naturally drawn to the shapes, which lead to a point).

Other Steve July 7, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Seriously, how are you not banned from here and thefirearmblog? Enough is enough.

It's bordering on sheer contempt from both sites towards the rest of the users that you are allowed to troll for years on end.

Rhys F June 27, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I'm happy with Steyr, having used the AUG, rather have a 10mm than a .40 however.

Stormcharger June 28, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I'd actually be interested in knowing if the length of time between the release of the 9mm Styer and this model was for engineering it to handle the .40S&W ammunition and not just tweaking the dimensions of a 9mm.

That said, my question is that if every single polymer pistol manufacturer can make a pistol with a flush fitting magazine, why can't the all powerful Glock? Is that what makes Glock so good, having a magazine that looks like an engineering afterthought makes everything better? It's functional at least, but others can do functional and be aesthetically pleasing to the owners of their handguns as well.

Mike in Fort Worth June 28, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Glock's non flush fitting magazine if by design. In the case of a class 3 malfunction it give you something to grasp and pull on when the mag won't eject.

Stormcharger June 30, 2014 at 2:30 am

Not really, if you look again at the styer, there is far more surface area with which to perform that function than a Glock and still fit flush to the frame. I have yet to see an individual who is trained to clear malfunctions take less time doing so with a Glock than most other pistols. Glock has no advantage in that arena over Styer, Sig, or H&K.

XGov July 8, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Unlike the Glock, this lineage of pistol was actually designed around the .40 S&W cartridge with a fully supported chamber; as opposed to the Glock which was designed around the 9mm cartridge, then "adapted" to the .40 S&W cartridge with an Unsupported chamber. The L series was likely released first as a 9 because they are much more popular sellers, whereas the M40 was the first pistol in this line.

Having been trained on 1911's and having an issued Glock fail on me in a live-fire field exercise, I have never really been a fan of Polymer Striker-Fired pistols, (though I have owned an HK USP since about 1996 and love it). Even if the Glock had not failed on me, the early generations did not fit my hand well at all and most importantly were not natural pointers for me, (though those issues seem to have been remedied by the Glock Gen4). This is not to say that Glocks are not Outstanding Firearms. Their record for durability and reliability are enviable; they just have not fit me in the past.

That being said; the Styer has certain distinct technological improvements (IMHO) over the Glock (the designer of the pistol being a Glock employee who used his engineering and firearms knowledge to make those improvements, first offered them to Glock but was turned down before taking it to Styer), starting with a fully supported .40 S&W chamber. In addition: the Styer has a metal superstructure skeletal frame which is held within the Polymer Grip-frame (making it removable, repairable and replaceable), instead of the Polymer being the frame with the frame rails investment cast into it, as with the Glock. The Glock is known for its low bore axis and that of the Styer is even lower. The grip frame of the Styer has a smaller circumference than does the Glock which is more comfortable, and a much more aggressive, natural grip angle for those who were not raised on Glocks. The combination of the lower bore axis and improved grip angle with higher hand position does reduce felt recoil across calibers offered. For the equivalent barrel length pistol, the Styer has a longer sight radius, has a better trigger, and (believe it or not) is actually a little easier to take down than the Glock. While I have not priced an L series on the market, the listed price above is beginning to approach that of a Glock; however, the M series were much less expensive than the equivalent Glock. The only thing I have on my "wish list" for this pistol is that I wished that Styer made an extended magazine for the .40 S&W models like they do for their M9's.

I was so impressed with the Styer that, even though I had not been a fan of striker-fired pistols, the M40-A1 was the first (and only) that I've purchased of such a design, and when I purchased mine it was less than 2/3's the price of a Glock. I would highly recommend that you take a good look at the Styer.

Having nearly 50 years of shooting background, both received and given Military, Government and Civilian firearms training, having been issued, used, and personally owned many different pistol platforms, this is what my experience tells me and what I tell my students: Given that you have a choice in weapons (i.e. you are not compelled to use a unique issue weapon), as long as you stick with a high quality firearm such as those mentioned in the comments here (Glock, Styer, Sig, HK et al), you need to find what works best for you. Everyone's Hands, Physiology, background, training, and experience are not the same. What works for me may not work for you, and vice versa. As I had the mechanics of pistol shooting deeply ingrained in my subconscious Motor-Memory well before the Glock came into existence, I was not going to relearn and instill a new set for one pistol platform which would not be transferable to any other. Whereas, with many younger guys, often Law Enforcement, the Glock was the first pistol they ever had in their hands. As their introduction, complete training and Motor Memory Mechanics surround the Glock, that is what they are comfortable with.

It is funny that while 1911 shooters get a bad rap for being very myopic in their belief that it is the "ultimate", best, and only pistol platform to use; I find younger, (most often law enforcement), Glock shooter to be even more so. I actually witnessed a "firearms instructor" address his class of civilian students and tell them, "if you own anything other than a Glock, you're stupid"! If you ever hear anyone say that about any pistol platform, run the other way because they are someone who thinks they know much more than they do and in reality, know very little.

CrimsonUSMC June 28, 2014 at 6:28 pm

The Steyr Pistol is head and shoulders better than a Glock. Nail on head, Pete. I have 2 Glocks and 3 Steyrs. Not even close. And I am basing this on growing up using firearms and 30 Years in the Marine Corps. Been there done that and shot just about everything. Steyr is king of the plastic pistols!

Paul July 6, 2014 at 7:21 pm

There are several pistols superior to the Glock, Sigs, Wathlers, some S & Ws. Sempre Fie Crimson

Baldwin June 29, 2014 at 10:29 pm

For those that may not know, current day Steyr pistols started out with their M-40 and S-40 pistols…in .40 cal. Steyr knows .40 cal. The pistols were then altered for 9mm and 357 Sig. The M and S series evolved into the second generation M-A1 and S-A1 series. Other grip length and barrel length combinations followed. I personally own 4 Steyr pistols and find them to be the only .40 cal pistols I genuinely enjoy shooting. The ergo's and ultra low bore axis tame the otherwise snappy and harsh shooting .40 cal. A little known added bonus…the entire guts are easily removed from the frame for cleaning. Try one.

@Rightside2beon July 5, 2014 at 8:56 am

My gun is better than yours. No, my gun is better than yours. No, my gun is better than all of yours.

VET TEACHER July 13, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Drift-adjustable sights are in the Steyr’s intuitive trapezoidal configuration. That's a nice way of saying, "buy this gun and change the sites."