This post is for Kit Up! power reader Stefan S. who just can’t get enough of our camo coverage…

We’ve reported on the Hyperstealth-designed Marine snow camo overwhites here at Kit Up!, but this is a pretty cool pic I ran across the other day while getting some art for another story.

I was skeptical on my first post about the grey patches, arguing plain white seems to work just fine. But as the above image shows (and its HiRez counterpart), shadows are a big part of anything but the most featureless snow.

I hereby stand corrected.

Jon February 26, 2011 at 11:24 am

They both have multicam vests and the m4 on the marines back has a pmag.

FormerDirtDart February 26, 2011 at 2:34 pm

actually, the far Marine has a standard coyote brown MOLLE vest (aside from the black padded case visible, my guess for his spotting scope). The nearest Marine does appear to be wearing a commercial Multicam chest rig with coyote pouches.
You would they they might try and do something about that damn black M-4.

nraddin February 26, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Why is it in todays day and age are they fielding with LBVs, weapons and accessories that are in anything but the needed/desired camo for the terrain? Seems to me that's the stuff that stands out the most is not the basic camo pattern but all the stuff that's completely off color. The picture above is a great example but just look at pictures from Iraq and the Stan and you will see the same thing with deployed units. If we are going to spend this much money changing the basic uniforms and camo patterns every few years can we at least pick the low hanging fruit first?

Sam February 26, 2011 at 4:14 pm

They might want to consider adding some white to that rifle! Maybe even throw a white veil over the front of the scope.

Bud Lite February 26, 2011 at 4:25 pm

The internet is the anti-christ, These are airsoft players not a USMC team.

orly? February 26, 2011 at 6:49 pm
Stefan S. February 26, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Woohoo! I'm mentioned in an article! Seriously, Don't hate cammo just the over-saturation of cammo all over the net, and my Army's inability to think of cammo patterns that my actually work. Thanks Chrisitian!

Mike February 26, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Where can I get some? I like it

Jon February 27, 2011 at 11:47 am

I've seen places, even in wooded ares, that UCP worked fine, but terrible in others. Same with Multicam, same with the old BDU woodland and DCUs. No camo is perfect, and never will be. It will work best in some ares and not so well in others. The problem is our military is deployed in hundreds of countries around the world, and its a logistical nightmare, not to mention cost nightmare, to field new camo for each environment. While some camos have been absolute blunders (UCP) at least they're working on it (like fielding multi-cam to troops in the Stan).

strikehold February 27, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Go down to your local USMC recruiting office, enlist, pass boot camp, pass sniper school, get posted some place snowy.

Mike February 28, 2011 at 11:44 pm

To bad I already enlisted as Army, lol.

strikehold March 1, 2011 at 2:37 am

Good on ya. +1

Moondog February 27, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Amen to that. Wrap an old bed sheet around the rifles at least. You bring up a good point about camoing personal weapons. Probably doesn't happen because there isn't enough money to be made by some defense contractor. I mean how much can a few cans of spray paint cost?

Riceball February 28, 2011 at 7:07 am

I don't know about the Corps but I've read that the Army does allow the altering of weapons so that they're camoflauged but the caveat is that they must be able to undo the coloring so that it can be returned back to stock condition, meaning once they turn the rifle it has to be in its original black color. So spray paint doesn't work too well since there would issues with removing the spray paint without hurting the original black finish. Now if the Army has such strict rules you can bet that the Marine Corps has regs just as or even stricter than the Army's.

subutai February 27, 2011 at 6:40 pm

They say it snows quite regularly across the Korean DMZ.

clowe February 28, 2011 at 4:51 am

I do value your discussion on this blog a lot…and I was only teasing with the "another camo post" bit…glad you took it as intended…

Goerge February 28, 2011 at 8:44 am

The black padded case is the winter water bottle carrier (Outdoor Research with Nalgene water bottle).

hamchuck February 28, 2011 at 9:31 am

Then feel free to get off it at anytime.

anon1 March 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm

All of the Nordic countries have similar winter camos; predominantly white with smudges of grey and/or green

navbm7 March 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm

The weapons and web gear sure do stand out against all that white. I noticed that our sniper's bolt is not in the closed position, was this a staged picture?

DevilDog November 3, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Could this picture possibly be taken during a training exercise? I love this camo, I am working on replicating it for hunting.