It’s a sad day for my community but I am satisfied with the thought that my teammates went out of this world doing what they loved and serving with men they cared about and respected deeply.  No matter what service or country, the bond of Special Operations personnel is a rare one, and only the men who endure the punishing training and intensity of combat will ever know this experience.

There’s another side to this equation that is lost on most people outside of the military.  While the media is busy hyping up recent events to drive ratings, the seriousness of the situation is weighing heavy on the hearts and minds of hundreds of family members. These stoic mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters are left behind to pick up the pieces.  Their tremendous sacrifice and the support they have given to this nation should not be forgotten.

The Navy SEAL Foundation is a great charity.  Please get the word out and pass on this blog and link.  These families will thank you for it when they lie awake in the middle of the night with one less thing to worry about.  I would also like to thank the good people at Military.com and my friend Christian Lowe for their ongoing support.

-Brandon Webb BUD/S Class 215

Mission of Navy SEAL Foundation

The Navy SEAL Foundation’s mission is to provide immediate and ongoing support and assistance to the Naval Special Warfare community and their families.

Family Services Show Compassion and Build Morale

We support families by easing their burden when an active-duty member of the NSW community is injure or killed in action. We help with memorial services and defray the financial costs for travel for immediate family members who live far away. We also assist families in maintaining a sense of normalcy during deployments by funding holiday celebrations, children’s sports days and campouts, and partnering with YMCAs to offer fitness memberships and childcare services.

Educational Programs Encourage Life-long Learning

Active-duty NSW personnel, their spouses and their children benefit from scholarship programs and other educational assistance provided by the Navy SEAL Foundation. In cases where the Navy provides only tuition funds, we step up to help cover the cost of educational expenses such as books and lab fees. Our program for children of NSW operators killed in training or combat provides new computers every three years through the completion of their secondary education.

Legacy Activities Ensure That Service is Always Honored

The Navy SEAL Foundation is strongly committed to making sure that the extraordinary contributions made in defense of our freedoms by members of the NSW community are remembered. We provide funding for monuments and memorials to fallen operators across the country.

Brent Sacks August 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Hooyah Brandon. Thank you and your teammates for serving us.

Brandon Webb August 6, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Thanks Brent. -Brandon

anon August 6, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Today was no easy day. God bless brother.

Brandon Webb August 6, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Roger that Anon…Thanks-Brandon

LBEE August 6, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Always In our thoughts, Forever in our HEARTS….Forever Remembered, Forever Missed!

Jamie Tuberville August 6, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Praying for the other servicemen and families affected by this heart breaking tragedy. Our family lost Adam Brown a while back, he's my husbands cousin and was a member of Navy Seal team Six. He was a great hero and he is missed.

Brandon Webb August 6, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Thanks, good post Jamie. -Brandon

Brandon Webb August 6, 2011 at 7:22 pm

"The Only Easy Day was Yesterday"

CCT Pete August 6, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Our greatest condolence to the Special Operators who gave thier all.

mark walbright August 6, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Breaks my heart…God Bless all those men and there familys.

Chuck August 6, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Speaking with Chris Kyle. This was indeed a sad day. God Speed to our lost Special Warriors.

DJ August 6, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Hearts are heavy today for the fallen here on earth but in heaven, each and every man has been greeted by our lord and given eternal rest. Stand down boys….Job well done! DJ USN retired

Kayelle Allen August 6, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Saw the news and just cried out – oh no! No words can make up for the loss of loved ones, or the service people who give their all. Was active duty Navy and have a special place in my heart for SEALs. God bless and keep the families, and those who fight on. You are remembered daily.

Rich D August 6, 2011 at 8:55 pm

My deepest condolences. Nothing will ever fill the void these heroes have left to their families, and friends. Please take solace in knowing that your hero is mourned by this entire country. We will never be able to pay the debt we owe your sacrifices. My heart is broken……

Gumby August 6, 2011 at 9:01 pm

How to pray the ‘Warrior Rosary’
Simply pray the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary with the following intentions:
Agony in the garden: For deployed soldiers and their safety;
Scourging at the pillar: For wounded soldiers and for their healing;
Crowning with thorns: For deceased soldiers and repose of their souls;
Carrying of the cross: For families of deployed, wounded and deceased soldiers, and for strength and comfort;
Crucifixion: For our nation, for the victims of war and for peace in the world.

Ronald Doc sexton August 7, 2011 at 12:23 am

My family's hearts and prayers are with the families,friends and brothers, of our fallen shipmates.this is a most dark and tragic day for the community, the Navy and America.We have lost a team of warriors who defend our Nations freedoms, liberties and way of life as we all know it too be,please remember these so very special warriors and their families and the ultimate sacrifice they make for a thing so easily forgotten freedom! Fly your flags, yellow ribbons and navy emblems lets show them our boys didnt die in vain and our gratitude! Hooyah

tim bogey August 7, 2011 at 5:44 am

i thank GOD every day for these men……..all of whom serve…..most people have no idea the sacrifices made. Everything we do on a daily basis is because of all these men and woman who serve. My thoughts and prayers are with them everyday!

Maritess Bernardino August 7, 2011 at 6:36 am

It's one of the hardest things to bear the loss of the ones for whom we care. Take comfort in knowing my thoughts are with you. I hope your memories help make it easier for you. I'm Here for you. God Bless all!

Melissa August 7, 2011 at 7:02 am

As the wife of a man who is a former member of ST6, this news hit us especially hard. When we told him what happened, you could see the sorrow cross his face and then change to a stoic look as he told us they all died doing what they loved and in the company of men that they respected and loved and that not one man there would have regretted being there. In that moment, I again, as I have many times, saw the grace that God gives such men. It is truly a beautiful and moving thing. Our hearts and prayers go out to those men, their families, and the team members as they come to grips with such a tragic loss. Our country owes them all such a debt of gratitude. One they may never see come to fruition as I know that the sacrifices they make are rarely written of in the history books. God bless America and God bless the Navy SEALS.

mary koby August 7, 2011 at 8:30 am

GOD BLESS NAVY SEALS, they are the heart and soul of our freedom and why we enjoy all we do as americans, peace be with the families and friends of the brave that lost lives, so tragic.

James 37F August 7, 2011 at 9:13 am

Rest in Peace Brothers.

As tragic and devastating as the loss of the SEALs is, let us not forget the Nightstalkers, the Air Force CCT's, the Dog handler and his dog, as well as the Commandos and the interpreter who were also on the bird.

Gary Nix August 7, 2011 at 9:16 am

GOD BLESS NAVY SEAL FREEDOM IS NOT CHEAP AND DON'T COME EASY IT COST ALL JUST SO WE CAN LIVE THE WAY WE DO FREE

Mathieu August 7, 2011 at 9:41 am

Great article Brandon. The news hit me and is still hitting me hard. You said it best, people outside the military will rarely, if ever, know the deep and lasting bonds that are created through tough training and experiences.

Thank you Kitup, and to all our Men and Women that serve. Thank you for those and Men and Women that volunteer two, three and more times.

Carolyn Winchester C August 7, 2011 at 11:13 am

May Angels comfort you all now. The Seals and their family and friends have given the ultimate sacrifice….for me, my family and friends, and my country….but most of all to make the world safe.

Cherry Hinkle August 7, 2011 at 12:04 pm

My deepest thanks for the ultimate sacrifice to keep our country strong. I will be praying for the families for the lost.
Many blessings,
Cherry Hinkle
Las Vegas/Henderson, Nevada.

Kelly Riend August 7, 2011 at 12:14 pm

The cost for our freedom is a heavy price to pay. My heart is heavy. RIP

R Gooding August 7, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Thoughts and prayers to the families and comrades of the SPECOPS personnel.
"Ever forward"

James Walker August 7, 2011 at 12:23 pm

This "civilian" thanks all who have provided the greatest sacrifice of all for the United States of America. We are forever in your debt.

Tharan Mccravey August 7, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Fair winds and following seas.Prayers to the families.Sad day.

@Cr4shDummy August 7, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Too Right!

@Cr4shDummy August 7, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Thank you for this link. I will pass it on and donate.

Carole August 7, 2011 at 12:44 pm

My heart aches … it grieves! We owe a debt that cannot be repaid! We should, we MUST honor that these heroic, faithful fighters for freedom and liberty gave their lives defending what they held dear and were willing to sacrifice to secure ~ security for their loved ones, their county and to protect us from evil. I cry for their loved ones and the raw hole left in their lives – they too have sacrificed! Brandon, It's good to read how Navy Seal Foundation and KiT UP are supporting the families of the fallen – blessings to you and them! FOX News aired a recording of a grandmother of one of the SEALs 6 Team members. saying that the last thing her grandson said to her after re-uping was, "Granny, I'll be fine. I know where I'm going." What faith and resolve that young man had and I know that the others were of the same caliber! My prayers are with all of you!

Janice August 7, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Their are no words to describe the pain and suffering mothers, fathers, spouses, sons, daughters and friends are experiencing right now. My heart is broken for each and everyone of you. The Navy Seals are a special group of individuals and they are God's soldiers in our troubled world. I pray that they rest in heaven and are our guardian angles. May God's peace be with you.

OCTAVIA August 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm

my son is in khandahar, afghanistan! my heart is saddened by this, my eyes are filled with tears. what an asset to our country, what a great loss! my prayers and comfort to all of the families!

Lisa August 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm

hope pres does something honorable
about this… if thats in him. thoughts and prayers of comfort for all families involved..

Chaplain Dan, USCS August 7, 2011 at 3:06 pm

May the Grace and Peace of our Lord Jesus, the Love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
I pray that our Lord will grant His Peace to these families that have lost so much. May Almighty God and all the Angels in Heaven welcome these MEN home.
My heart is aching, my son is a Team Six member, he came home Friday… My heart goes out to him also.
Please, Please, Please pray for these men and their families.

Cathy August 7, 2011 at 5:02 pm

God Bless the Navy Seals and all the men and women serving in our Armed Forces. Our prayers are with their families.

JAKSUN August 7, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Prayers and condolences to the friends and families of our fallen heros. It is because of you we have our freedom. Thank you for your service and sacrifices.

Neil C. Reinhardt August 7, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Mere words are unable to convey my feeling of heartbreak for those who lost their lives and for those who knew, cared about and loved them. It is most certainly, a terrible loss.

Jo Giroux August 8, 2011 at 3:57 am

God Speed to the families.
Fair winds and calm seas.

Tony Fiducia August 8, 2011 at 4:27 am

Respectfully dedicated to our lost Navy Seals and their loved ones.
THE NAVY HYMN – ETERNAL FATHER

Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep,
Its own appointed limits keep.

Oh hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea! Amen.

Eternal Father, lend Thy grace To
those with wings who fly thro' space,
Thro wind and storm, thro' sun and rain,
Oh bring them safely home again.

Oh Father, hear an humble prayer,
For those in peril in the air! Amen.

Oh Trinity of love and pow'r,
Our brethren shield in danger's hour,
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them where so e'er they go.

Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea! Amen.

From A Proud American And Vietnam Veteran

Jill Rabne August 8, 2011 at 5:00 am

My heart is heavy for the lost SEALS, their families, and their friends. You will never be forgotten for your sacrifice. God Bless the USA.

CSM (Ret) J. Butler August 8, 2011 at 5:03 am

God Speed!! May the families of those falled heros be comforted by the knowledge that America appreciates their efforts to continue our efforts to rid the world of terrorists.

SSG ATrigg August 8, 2011 at 5:20 am

This nation is indebted to the amazing SEALS teams and all of the Special Forces out there, truly putting your lives on the line and doing what many others could not do! I am forever proud of you and extremely grateful!

NavyCorpsmanMom August 8, 2011 at 6:26 am

One of the Navy ads tells us Americans "Rest well, you're in good hands". Well I say to these brave Navy Seals "Rest well, you're in Gods hands". My heart goes out to the families who are suffering without their loved ones today.

Tony August 8, 2011 at 6:28 am

I was an Air Rescue Medic in Vietnam and had the pleasure of meeting several Navy Corpsmen. They were and still are the best of the best.

Terry King August 8, 2011 at 6:30 am

As an Army widow, I want you to know it gets better ,because of our extended family. No matter what branch ,we are all hurting and are all VERY proud of all our members. My prayers are with you and all of our service people. We will get thru this and continue to protect and defend.

Jason's mom August 8, 2011 at 6:42 am

How do you, or can you say thank you Words and tears are never enough. Rick and Scott I am so proud to know both of you. Keep vigilant and safe. Jason's mom.

Lori August 8, 2011 at 7:25 am

God bless the men and their families. My family and I are so very grateful for their service and sacrifice.

timmer August 8, 2011 at 7:35 am

God Bless them all not only in this theater but the many we never hear about around the globe.These heros do their jobs and rarely see any open congradulations.I want to tell them all Thank You for keeping us free!. The average American has no idea of the real hard work these heros do for all of us here at home everyday 24/7. I am so very proud of them all!.

Ivan L Sleeper II August 8, 2011 at 9:16 am

THANK YOU to all of our ARMED FORCES, the BEST in the World. Our youngest son just finished two tours of Iraq last yr w/USMC & we were so proud & Grateful for his safe return.Most of the men & women realize that they are putting their own lives on the line for our GREAT Country & do not receive the thanksgiving they deserve.We saw a "special" yesterday w/present day Iraqies & they are soooo grateful for the AMERICAN Troops & all they have done for Iraq. Thank you again , from Tulsa Ok. Len & Kay Sleeper

chris August 8, 2011 at 10:03 am

Truly sad day and thanks to all who serve and have served paying the ultimate price for freedom.
Brandon has said it best in many words as have others.
Let's support them

Cheers Chris

Kelly Breckenridge August 8, 2011 at 11:58 am

There is no greater gift than to lay down your life for your fellow man. These young men, their families and their comrades in arms have sacrificed much. These words seem insufficient, but thank you for "Standing the Watch." These brave warriors have my eternal gratitude.

Ray August 8, 2011 at 1:50 pm

There are no words of comfort that can express how sorry I am for the loss that so many are feeling at this time. Please know that you and your families are in our thoughts and prayers. The service and sacrifice of your loved ones is greatly appreciated and will never be forgotten. It is at times such as this that we hold fast to our faith and loved ones for strength and the courage to move forward.

Deepest Sympathies,

Ray

steve August 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I got your this up on Transitioning Veteran Facebook to all my fans. Great blog, sorry you had to write such an article. We'll be thinking of the families, RIP to all who died serving overseas. -Steve

CLAUDIU FRANTZ P. August 8, 2011 at 3:05 pm

God bless NAVY SEALS, RESPECT FOR THOUS WHO MADE THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE,OUR FALLEN HEROES_R.I.P. ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY!

jeffrey (Savoy7) August 9, 2011 at 9:01 am

such a tragic lost of human life these soldiers give there all, every day, every mission, today we grieve for there loss, tomorrow we go on, But we must never forget the hero's, I heard this at 11pm just as I got off from work, such a warm feeling came across me, and yes a tear, and I cried, not scared to amit it. We are strong.

James August 9, 2011 at 1:25 pm

My thoughts and prayers "Always," to the families and my brothers of SPECOPS personnel.
GOD BLESS!
J. Lopez, SSG
US Army retired

Tammy August 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm

AMEN! May they rest in Peace.

Paul Davidson August 9, 2011 at 1:35 pm

As a former Navy Engineman I personally will never forget these brave men.

Jere Breite August 9, 2011 at 1:50 pm

The SEAL's have a special place in my heart as the girlfriend of a deceased former SEAL. These men love our country and the values that make it so unique, that they give their all with great skill and heart and without public acclaim and like my friend even after they come home with wounds that keep reminding them of former sorties. God Bless them all for their sacrifice. My prayers go out to their friends & families.

Michael August 9, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Seems to me that there were more MEN than the SEALS on that downed aircraft. Theres more to Spec. Ops. than a limited number of Seals.

S. Melgarejo August 9, 2011 at 2:28 pm

To the families of all these lost heros. Though I can not even begin to feel your loss. I feel humbled, and all so grateful for the ulimate patriotic sacrifice given on behalf of our freedoms, by your brave warrior.

lkchapman August 9, 2011 at 3:18 pm

ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL God Bless all military men and women!

Soug Michael August 9, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I wrote a Blue grass gospel song called the Gospel Singing Soldier in Nov 2010 and I dedicated it to the Armed Services Personnel . I would like to donate the CD. to the fallen soldiers family's. Could someone help me get the CD'S out to the family. I feel that the song will help confort all who hear this song along with the other songs this Cd. I do believe will help them thru the ruff times .I have 30 ready to ship or deliver .

nanjing03 August 9, 2011 at 3:53 pm

My wife and I are veterans of the Air Force and Navy Submarine Service respectively. Having served in the Iraq War throughout Al Anbar as a civilian DOD specialist and having met Navy SEALS downrange, I can't help but wonder if any of them were victims of this latest action. Our family ends every evening prayer with a plead for God's protection of all the men and women in the armed forces serving in war and in support of operations everywhere around the world. We pray for their safety and their success. We will pray for their families, friends and fellow warriors too.

Tiffany August 9, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Love it!!

Tiffany August 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Love this!

Tiffany August 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Love this tooo many people are forgotten!

Jackie August 9, 2011 at 5:07 pm

The Young Dead Soldiers Do Not Speak

The young dead soldiers do not speak.
Nevertheless, they are heard in the still houses:
who has not heard them?
They have a silence that speaks for them at night
and when the clock counts.
They say: We were young. We have died.
Remember us.
They say: We have done what we could
but until it is finished it is not done.
They say: We have given our lives but until it is finished
no one can know what our lives gave.
They say: Our deaths are not ours: they are yours,
they will mean what you make them.
They say: Whether our lives and our deaths were for
peace and a new hope or for nothing we cannot say,
it is you who must say this.
We leave you our deaths. Give them their meaning.
We were young, they say. We have died; remember us.

Archibald MacLeish

Jan G August 9, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Tragic loss for every American; no words can sooth the pain their families are enduring. Prayers go out to all and gratitude for our military and all the sacrifices they and their families make each and every day. God Bless our military, and pray America pray for what these heroes have done for us.

Stephanie August 9, 2011 at 10:51 pm

RESPECT.

Eddie Bentley August 10, 2011 at 4:00 am

Our Country is free today because of you and all of the men and women serving to keep us free. Washington is a joke but keep doing your JOB. We'll get you a Commander in Chief that has the fortitude that you have. You are always in our PRAYERS…….

Mark Z August 10, 2011 at 4:53 am

This is my sentiment as well. 30 brave American servicemen gaves their lives trying to assist other brave Americans. SEALs are the best known, but the Airmen and Soldiers on this mission should be remembered as well. RIP to all. God Bless them and America!

Brandon Webb August 10, 2011 at 10:43 am

Michael-very true but, as a former SEAL this write up was specifically tailored to my community. I fully appreciate the involvement of others, my goal was to raise awareness for the community's foundation. Thanks for understanding.-Brandon

caharles hildebrand August 10, 2011 at 1:04 pm

It is a great trajedy when ever we lose asy soldier, seaman, or airman in this conflct. My prayers and love goes out to these families of the departed. may they all rest in the arms of the Lord, and may he bring all our service members home.

Operator August 10, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Brandon, In your article when talking about families you left out wives.

Brandon Webb August 10, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Good point. I thought it went without mention but I will add it! Thanks-Brandon

john August 10, 2011 at 3:23 pm

It was a sad day indeed when we lost that helicopter but…there were crewmembers on the helo as well and we should not forget them nor their families! Each life is precious!

Doris Lizana August 10, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Hey, am a Navy brat, and mines prayers with love goes out to the Seal, Navy Seal, your lines If a Soldier in trouble and down, take 3 step back pick him or her up and throw them over your shoulder and carry on
, All is Secure! love TO ALL, AN NAVY BRAT!

DOD Vietnam August 10, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I was young and never knew them but lost a grandfather in WWI. I lost my father at the Battle of the Bulge 14 March 1944. I often wonder what my life would have been like if he had lived. My uncle and stepfather lived with horrible nightmares from the Pacific Theater during WWII. My husband is dying with Agent Orange Cancer from Vietnam. I was lucky I came home from Nam with just the nightmares. My son is a Marine chopper pilot with his fourth tour under his belt. He just came home from Afg. The tragedy and the pain is so deep. They were only doing their jobs like any other day. But, this day was different. They have always been heroes but today they are fallen heroes. My heart goes out to their families, their friends and their comrades. One day each of you will get past the anguish and the sweet memories will replace it. Words are never enough. Just know that our prayers are with you. And, all the military that protects us as they go silently about their jobs knowing the risk they face everyday. God bless you.

Operator L.C. August 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Operator L.C. may you all rest in peace, you will never be forgotten from a brother from the army spec.ops. my pray goes out to all the wives, families and friends. God Bless!

Maribel LopezCepero August 10, 2011 at 7:02 pm

My condolence to all this families………….God Bless our soldiers and our Nation.

Jim Alexander August 13, 2011 at 8:40 am

Dear Melissa,
I have a YouTube song I wish to commend to the families who have lost Seal warriors. As a member of that community, perhaps you might be interested and able to do so more directly than I can. The song is from the Civil War, and is titled "The Empty Chair". It is beautifully done by Kathy Mattea. I daresay you will not be able to watch it without crying- I can't. The immense sorrow of the lyrics, however, countered by the bouncy beat of the melody, which gives a note of hope to the message. The YouTube link is:

/Douglas Palmer August 15, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I, too, am saddened by the loss of these service members. We can never repay what they have done for us and how they have sacrificed so much to serve our country. I am a retired NCO from the Army, and I have the deepest respect for these individuals who lost their lives — as well as their families. May God bless them!

MSG Douglas Palmer

K.M.C. August 16, 2011 at 7:15 pm

My heart goes out to the families of those brave wariors,my brothers in arms.

K.M.C. August 16, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Your comment is greatfuy appreciated.I servered 20yrs ago in Desert Storm

OLHW August 24, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Not everyone have what it takes to be one