This is a great video that showcases basic Free Fall training that the SEALs go through. It’s also a great tribute to former SEAL, Shane Patton (KIA Afghanistan June 28th, 2005).

Skydiving is one of the things I miss the most about being in the Teams and I can’t wait to get some jumps in this winter down at my local drop zone in San Diego, CA.  I did my initial MFF training with the Army at Bragg and Yuma.  They have a great school and ironically for a Navy guy I’ve also been to a lot of Army Schools.  Airborne, Parachute Rigger and Stinger Gunner.

Video highlights:

Notice the difference in Kit and color of the jumpsuits that change throughout the video. The gray suits indicate a beginner and the first part of training without combat kit. You can tell the guys are just learning how to get stable in free fall and you can really see the instructors giving them hand signals indicating instructions and what maneuvers to do next.

5:06 into the video you’ll notice what NOT TO DO!  Reminds me of some Jordanians we had in my class. They couldn’t get stable period, AND they came to jump school with over a hundred jumps.  They told me their training in Jordan was basically the following: Get thrown out of the plane, scream as you fall to your death, check altimeter and pull rip cord.  The would literally scream while tumbling head over butt to the earth until pull altitude….crazy funny to watch on the highlight reel.

Once they kit up (flight suits and cammies), you can see a big difference in exits and stability control.  If you guys like this stuff/commentary, let me know and I’ll work on showcasing some other units as well. There’s some great stuff out there on Army, Air Force and USMC skydiving (sorry coast guard…). Here’s a look at some wind tunnel training. Enjoy!

Out Here-Brandon

Basic Maneuvers Explained:

Stability: When these guys practice exiting the plane and getting stable in flight.

Right and Left Turns: Using a visual reference point on the horizon you turn 360 right and left

Forward glide: Hands brought into shoulders/chest, allows you to track without giving up too much altitude.

Tracking: Arms brought behind and hands below the thighs. Tracks you forward but you lose a lot of altitude.

Wave off: Waving hands over your head prior to pulling. This indicates to potential jumpers above that you are about to deploy your chute and to get the hell out of the way!

Eskimo1 October 26, 2011 at 5:29 am

There are Coasties who have earned gold parachute wings while serving in the Coast Guard. I can think of three off the top of my head. Two of them are currently serving in the teams.

jrexilius October 26, 2011 at 6:13 am

Rockin video. My favorite place to jump is out your way at Perris Valley.. Love that wind tunnel they have also.

reflexivefire October 26, 2011 at 7:47 am

Funny about the Jordanians. We had a South Korean in our class who was HALO qualified in his home country, same deal, dozens of jumps under his belt. I don't think he made it through the first week out at Yuma. That said, we also had a Czech student who was killing it. He got sent to Airborne, pathfinder, Static line jump master, Ranger School, and then HALO just one after the other. I think he was supposed to go to HALO jump master after he graduated.

Brandon October 26, 2011 at 7:58 am

Always a dice roll with those foreigners for sure..we had a guy from Thailand that was killing it too.

Brandon October 26, 2011 at 7:59 am

Perris is sweet…out in BMF&*K Egypt though….

jrexilius October 26, 2011 at 9:09 am

yup. I'm headed there in Dec or Jan though. Was gettin the palm sweats and accelerated heart rate watchin the video. Gotta go jump soon.

HalP October 26, 2011 at 9:04 am

Nice footage. Do you have any video of the Jordanians doing it?

Rome October 26, 2011 at 10:53 am

Here's a pretty cool video of the Army's "Military Freefall Advanced Tactical Infiltration Course": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP5agOZSlIk

Marines and Navy SEALs attend this course also.

Achilles October 26, 2011 at 12:43 pm

At what altitude do you need to start using oxygen tanks?

reflexivefire October 26, 2011 at 1:49 pm

You can be at 12,000 for like five minutes I think, by regulation, before going on O2. Above that you need a mask. Maybe a jump master can give you a better answer.

Achilles October 27, 2011 at 7:47 am

Interesting. There's a place north of me that doesn't do oxygen until 18k+. Thanks for the info!

Will October 26, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Having recently qualified static line jumping I have a new found respect for the guys who jump with kit and have to navigate there way to a DZ.

reflexivefire October 26, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Holy Crap! I was pretty surprised watching that video on the Military Freefall Advanced Tactical Infiltration Course. In the prologue of my novel there is a combat HALO jump which is only "school house" accurate. I kept a lot of the tactical details seen in the video to myself out of respect for OPSEC. Oh, well.

DDS October 26, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Methinks its best to not be the first one to release info like that!!

reflexivefire October 26, 2011 at 3:11 pm

That's what I thought. Strange that the Army felt comfortable releasing some of the most cutting edge TTP's, especially ones that would be used in combat today as clandestine infiltration method…

Brandon October 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm

For once the SEALs are out of the line of fire!!! Go ARMY ;)

CWO Uuereb October 26, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Let's see the airplane takes off and flies. Later the airplanes lands. If you think about it jumping out of it is wasting manhours, money and fuel. Perfectily good airplane only used part of the time.

Mike October 26, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I think the comentary is fine. I wish everyone who presented videos had some added information….lots of videos just leave us with a lot of questions. Nice work.

nobody October 27, 2011 at 6:45 am

what a smokin article!

et gwynn October 27, 2011 at 7:38 am

as tye saying goes: " the marines build men, the army trains them. the wind tunnel was pushed through the funding process by an arty leg LTC who asked: "is this a good idea?" Ans.: why of course.

Scout October 27, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I read this or similar article in in Nat Geo recently:

I thought , "The SpecWar folk might already be doing something like this – or at least looking into it."

Hebenmmmmm October 28, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Indeed! Good point/counter point! These guys can do 6 years in the Teams before they can either 1) Decide to crossover to Navy or 2) Go back to USCG. Very cool…..

CMHeben October 28, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Dont know why my name listed like that….seizure? lol.

guest October 29, 2011 at 6:35 am

Unless you have steppped out the open door of a perfectly good airplane a few times at 10000 feet above the ground ,you have not lived,one hell of a confidence builder.

guest November 10, 2011 at 7:29 am

The instructor should have stopped t

LEN BASSEN March 12, 2014 at 7:02 pm

FIRST JUMP AFTER JUMP SCHOOL… READY TO GO AFTER JUMPMASTER GAVE SIGNAL.. I COULDNOT GET UP FROM SEAT,IMAGINED MYSELF PARALYZED FROM THE WAIST DOWN..STRUGGLED TO STAND UP..THE REST OF PLANE WAS STANDING.. WHEN MY BUDDY LOOKED AND TOLD ME MY SEATBELT WAS STILL FASTENED.
HAVE BEEN TELLING THIS STORY FOR OVER 50 YEARS/ ALWAYS GETS A LAUGH. ! CPL. BASSEN