I posted a story on Military.com this morning about the Army’s plans to outfit the ranks with permethrin-treated Army Combat Uniforms. I’m still on the fence about this one.

On one hand, I think it’s great that uniform officials claim that factory-treating ACUs with permethrin will solve past problems of under-treating or over-treating uniforms when using the Individual Dynamic Absorption Kits to apply permethrin.

In some cases, these individual treatment kits result in the permethrin being too concentrated on random sections of the uniforms. This led to contact dermatitis and other skin rashes, according to PEO Soldier officials. Treating uniforms with permethin at the factory level provides consistent coverage that’s strong enough to kill crawling insects but safe for everyday wear, PEO Soldier officials said, adding that the Army’s Surgeon General approved the treatment method in 2008.

Soldiers deploying to the warzone have been wearing flame-resistant ACUs that have been factory treated with permethrin for the past two years.

I have never worn permethrin-treated uniforms of any type. But even though 25 years have passed, I can still remember plucking blood-bloated ticks from the darkest regions of my body after spending a week in the bug-friendly hinterlands of Fort Bragg. Back then, I’m pretty sure I would have been happy to wear something like the Army’s new ACU-P.

What I am not so sure about is the Army’s plan to eventually replace standard ACUs with the permethrin-treated version. I understand that every soldier should be protected, but if you are in a job that requires no field time — do you really need them?

Uniform officials say the new ACU-Ps are totally safe and will cost no more than standard ACUs. I don’t know. Has anyone out there worn the FR ACUs that have been factory-treated with permethrin? Let us know what you think.

AK August 29, 2012 at 11:30 am

Permethrin rocks. I treated my woodland BDUs before a MOUT exercise at Ft. Drum and did not see a single mosquito for the 36 hours. I got 3 total bug-bites: all on my wrist between my glove and my watch. I have since treated all my camo uniforms with permethrin and will continue to do so. If you are not going outside the wire, sure, you may not need it- but for a field uniform it is a definite enhancement.

bob August 29, 2012 at 11:33 am

My unit was among the first fielded the permethrin treated multicams. Very few had problems with skin irritation, and the uniforms did a decent job stopping insect bites. That being said, permethrin is one of the confirmed causes of gulf war syndrome, though that was cases of over applied insecticides and inadequate hygiene in theatre. Only time will tell if this saves lives and health, or causes more problems.

BigT August 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I have had treated FR ACUs (both UCP and OCP), and I treated by own BDU's about 10 years ago. Other that the ease of it already being done it's hard to tell a difference. The FR ACU's are already slightly heavier and don't breathe as well, so there's not much of a difference.

It just seem like the Army is wasting money on all this, we need to go back to having "garrison" uniforms and "field" uniforms like we did back in the BDU's. Let me wear whatever in garrison, and then let me wear the FR and treated OCP Combat shirt and Combat pants when I'm in the field, whether training or deployed!

bob August 29, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I have a feeling it will end up that way, the ACU cut uniform will probably take the role of the tan class b's of yesteryear, and the combat shirt and pants will assume the battle dress role.

Greg August 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Can't the soldiers treat them? on there own time of course. And how about the health effects of permethrin, if any?

Martin M August 29, 2012 at 3:26 pm

What do the environmentalists have to say about this? Wouldn't treating these uniforms essentially eliminate the majority of the food available to the local wildlife? Removing the bottom of the food-chain would cause an ecological collapse!

Aronk76 August 29, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Permethrin is a great product to prevent pesky insects from attacking soldiers out in the field but there is one small problem with their entire plan. This is no different than the old Navy Dungarees that we got issued and were told they were Fire Retardent. What they didn't mention is that after about a dozen or so times going through the wash they were no longer effective in that manner. Now, they sell bottles of permethrin at most outdoor store(Bass Pro Shops, ***** Sporting Goods, and even Walmart) so the everyday outdoor enthusiast can treat their own clothes. Guess what, after about 6 or 7 times going through the wash those clothes need to be retreated. So IMO, issuing a uniform that has been treated at the factory is a complete waste and will only need to be retreat the same way they currently treat them after going through the wash a few times.

Doc August 29, 2012 at 6:49 pm

What I really think the Army needs to do is figure out what the **** we are gonna wear for the foreseeable future, which I thought was suppposed to happen soon, I just hope they don't put it off or just completely ignore the issue.

FormerSFMedic August 29, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I, personally don't like the idea. First of all, from a medical standlpoint, there are going to be at least a few soldiers in every platoon that can't tolerate permethrin on their skin. As a medic, this is something I have concearns about. It only takes one soldier to have a rash or skin irratation to slow down the whole team.

Second, permethrin is only mildly effective. Does it work? Yes. Does it repel every insect in all conditions? No. With that said, soldiers would be much better off applying a deterrent topically where they need it. My thoughts are, if it doesn't work that great, then it doesn't need to be on every uniform.

Thirdly, anyone that has spent anytime in the Army knows how the Army likes to downplay the side effects of medicines and chemicals. They said the Anthrax shots were safe. That was until a few of the soldiers ended up ******** (literally). I never even got my shots for Anthrax (that's the perk of being in charge of the medical side of the house) because of this. They said the malaria meds were safe. That was until soldiers started sleep walking and having nighttares. I had one guy chambering rounds in his sleep! We nipped that in the bud quick! My point is that the Army uses soldiers as guinea pigs. I for one would not want to be wearing these uniforms because of that!

FormerSFMedic August 29, 2012 at 7:25 pm

You have got to be kidding me! You can't say ********! That's not anywhere near a profane word. David explained to me why the language rules are the way they are and I understood it completely. But this is ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned, that's unnecessary censorship. I'm going to have to rethink commenting on this site as well as reading the write ups. This blog is becoming too much "big business" mentality for me. It seems that kitup is affiliated with a company that is too big and feels that they have a "sensitive" audience that they don't want to offend. Well, those people shouldn't be here anyway, especially if they support censorship like this. I speak my mind respectfully and without profane language. As long as I do that, I shouldn't be censored for the sake of keeping the "easily offended" reader around. The authors can use witty commentary that obviously refers to sexual acts without " triggering" the alarm, but I can't use words that are part of everyday respectful dialogue.

tomatojuice August 30, 2012 at 3:54 am

First time ever posting here. I'm a ninja. Anyways, I never had hives or rashes of any sort until I joined the Army. However, at that time I didn't put two and two together. At my unit we always had shots constantly and it drove me crazy!

Ed August 29, 2012 at 7:32 pm

There is two issues with the FRacus.

One they do not breath like normal ACUs. They are the same weight as the old winter BDU's. Granted this may be great in colder weather most of the places soldiers go are not so cold for the better time of the year.

Two: Garrison Wear.
ACUs themselves are hideous let alone the FRacus, which are tinted a yellowish tint making them look dirty even brand new. There needs to be a set combat/field uniform and one for daily garrison.

Mark Blaha August 30, 2012 at 12:28 am

Reply to former SFMedic: that is BS!

Mark Blaha August 30, 2012 at 12:29 am

Reply to former SFMedic: that is pretty crazy!

Mark Blaha August 30, 2012 at 12:30 am

Reply to former SFMedic: that is Nuts!

majrod August 30, 2012 at 12:41 am

In the mid 80's we found some cans of bug spray left over from Nam that was used to treat uniforms. Incredibly effective. I watched skeeters just hit my uniform and die. Turned out there was DDT or something in those cans. Go figure.

Yellow Devil August 30, 2012 at 8:25 am

DDT is one of the most effective insecticides out there. Was used in third world countries to keep malaria from getting out of hand. So effective that it ****** off the enviromentalists who got the EPA to pretty much ban it except for "specific" export uses.

Destro August 30, 2012 at 6:16 am

I think you took the words out of every medics mouths…I never used bug spray, never soaked my uniform in that crap, never got my anthrax shots, never got my smallpox poke, never took my malaria pills…any halfway decent medic knows most of that **** is BS. I gave out countless placebos to my guys…and told them if it didn't "fix" (coughs, colds, aches) it in a day or 2 come back. "fixed" most stuff.

Buckaroomedic August 30, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Destro – Please do not speak for me or any other medics out there. You are an idiot if you think that anti-malarial meds, anthrax and smallpox inoculations are "BS" What is your "opinion" on ASA and MS? You probably gave those out quite freely. Statistically, both of those meds have significantly higher adverse reaction rates than the other drugs/inoculations you mentioned. I sincerely hope that you are no longer in the medical field. You will cause more harm than good with your out-dated and dangerous thinking. Luckily for you, the majority of people get their inoculations and take their meds, so the "heard immunity" protects you.

Destro August 31, 2012 at 5:45 am

“Herd immunity” protected me from anthrax, small pox, and malaria? ROFL….get outta here with that. You know damn well at least 25% of folks are contraindicated for the vaccines anyway, how many troops have gotten small pox/anthrax since 9/11? No I didn’t give out morphine and aspirin freely. APAP was my drug of choice with a warning that it’s gonna mess up their liver if they take more than I tell them and it’s not going to help any more. Stay in the aid station dude

Brandon August 30, 2012 at 6:59 am

Im pretty certain that the Marines have been using this treatment on all of their MARPAT uniforms. Supposed to last for 25 washings or something.

Badjujuu August 30, 2012 at 8:03 am

I'll wait and see, like with most stuff army comes out – 30 years later when your ******* turns inside out and starts talking to you the army will say – yeah that wasn't such good idea to coat them uniforms – sorry guys. I've tried it on my uniorm, it works. Other than some mosquito bites on my face, neck and hands I had no other problems. But we coated and wore the uniform for a week, personally I would not wear everyday. We have enough chemicals in our skin and blood system due to the regulations that everything has to have flame retardent chemicals in it. At the end you have to think about that if it's design to kill a bug whats the long term effect on you?

Badjujuu August 30, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I’ll wait and see, like with most stuff army comes out – 30 years later when your ******* turns inside out and starts talking to you the army will say – yeah that wasn’t such good idea to coat them uniforms – sorry guys. I’ve tried it on my uniorm, it works. Other than some mosquito bites on my face, neck and hands I had no other problems. But we coated and wore the uniform for a week, personally I would not wear everyday. We have enough chemicals in our skin and blood system due to the regulations that everything has to have flame retardent chemicals in it. At the end you have to think about that if it’s design to kill a bug whats the long term effect on you?

Matt Mags September 1, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Hey guys,

The soldiers are not being used as guinea pigs here. High end outdoor clothing companies like ExOficio have been using Permethrin for years and those clothing items have been selling like hot-cakes to the tree-hugger outdoor crowd.
Permethrin is made from a flower (Marigolds I think). Mosquitos kill more people in the world than every other animal in the world combined (Not sure if humans are included in that statistic). While having ANY concentrated chemical compound next to the skin or on broken skin for an extended period time can be bad I think Permethrin is pretty benign for the most part. It will likely cause more good than harm. Just my 2 Cents.

Michele August 3, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Permethrin comes from chrysanthamums. Just helping.

Sarah M September 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Great. After deploying with the FR-ACU, I discovered I was allergic to the chemical treatment of the uniform. I had to have my plain ol' regular ACUs shipped to me in theater and use a topical steroid ointment and Prednisone (an oral tablet steroid) to get rid of the rash (it took 3 weeks of non-exposure and treatment). We take anti-malarial medication and I use DEET with no problem, so long as it's a low concentration and I can wash it off after a few hours. Daily use of a pre-treated uniform is not going to bode well for folks like me. Plus, all the uniform changes are going to hit Soldiers' wallets pretty hard. Can we just pick something and stick with it?

Delta Mike August 9, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Back in the days of BDU's (Tree-Suit, as my Nam era Plt Sgt refered to them) we use to take OFF and spray coat the inside of pants and shirt. Reason we used off; the stuff the army issued was WORTHLESS. Having a mis-spent youth trapsin out in the boonies of Bragg and Campbell, and the wise advice of an old timer Plt Sgt was worth its weight in gold.

Smoke May 10, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Don't wear these uniforms. I had a severe reaction to this chemical over the past two months. I have been through two series of powerful steroid treatment. The Docs say that they see a lot of it to varying degrees. DoD concern is the preservation of combat power, not the individual.

Patriot on a String July 18, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Old news… Old school Vietnam Vets leaving the Service when I came in taught us to wash our BDUs in good old Seargents Flea and Tick Shampoo.. 1/4 Cup to full load of laundry.. Why is tech or knowledge from Vietnam just now getting attention.. Oh yeah… Young blood reinventing the wheel.. Also, eating one match head unstruck per day to sweat out the sulfur to ward off molds/fungus and add further insect repellant…. The same as sulfa-drugs…