UmbrellamanPresident Barack Obama created a brief twist Thursday to the Marine Corps’ legendary rifle creed at a press conference in the White House Rose Garden with the Turkish prime minister when a light rain fell and a Twitter storm erupted.

Obama requested two Marines hold umbrellas over himself and the Turkish prime minister to protect the world leaders from the rain. Viewers of the press conference quickly took to Twitter to comment on the odd sight of a Marine holding an umbrella.

“This is my umbrella. There are many like it but this one is mine. Without me, my umbrella is useless. Without my umbrella, I am useless,” Politico defense editor Phil Ewing tweeted after the  event.

Marines typically don’t hold umbrellas in uniform. As CNN made sure to quickly point out, holding an umbrella would restrict a Marine’s ability to salute. But if the commander-in-chief asks a Marine to hold an umbrella. He or she is going to hold an umbrella.

Minutes after the press conference was held, the Twitter handle @UmbrellaMarine was created with this description: “The Few. The Proud. The Umbrella holder. Hey President Obama, you can stand under my umbrella…ella ella, ay ay ay.” He has 52 followers thus far.

NBC News correspondent Luke Russert took notice and assumed protocol existed for holding an umbrella. He wrote on Twitter saying: “The #Marines holding the umbrellas at this presser are unbelievably cool, had no idea there’s military protocol for umbrella holding.”

Howard Kurtz, host of CNN’s Reliable Sources, wrote that the umbrella might have a greater meaning with the recent scandals involving the IRS and Associated Press.

“OK, Obama standing under an umbrella held by a military aide opens the metaphor floodgates for an administration in a downpour,” Kurtz wrote on Twitter.

The director of communications for the University of Virginia Center for Politics felt like it was a bad look for the president.

“Standard press flack rules – don’t let the boss where a funny hat! – need to be updated to include ‘hold you own umbrella!’ Kyle D. Kondik wrote on Twitter.

Axel May 16, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I hate that guy…

Derek Schneider May 16, 2013 at 1:58 pm

What a pompous, self serving POS.

Rev May 16, 2013 at 2:13 pm

What a pompous ahole

leftoftheboom May 16, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Got to hand it to the Marines. Hit with a task, he made it look good. The guy under the umbrella is a poser. The individual holding it, is the Man.

Mitch May 16, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Sharp uniform, no matter what the setting.

Joshua May 16, 2013 at 3:03 pm

At first I thought this was a Sunday funny…..then I realized its Thursday.
Once again he disgraces us.

230 grain May 16, 2013 at 3:12 pm

There is one person in that picture who is professional, patriotic, and honorable. Its not the one talking….

mpower6428 May 16, 2013 at 3:12 pm

other then opening and closing doors the white house marine guard has little else to do other then polish buttons on their off time. at least its a step up from dying in stupid needless wars.

in all honesty this was a bad move. how bad… well, im not sure but certainly not as bad as "mission accomplished".

if mit romney were president… this photo would be in the Marine Corps hall of hero's, his name would be remembered, he would warrent a new verse in the Marine Corps anthem along with pictures in museums bla bla bla.

looks guys, it was good to point this out. and i like your spirit but please, cut the shit.

Pin-Point May 16, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Ummm, Marine Corps regulation MCO P1020.34F of the Marine Corps Uniform Regulations chapter 3, a male Marine is not allowed to carry an umbrella while in uniform.
Notice:The Marine Corps Manual, the guidebook that defines protocol for officers and enlisted Marines, in section 2806 paragraph 2, specifically states “The Marine Corps Uniform Regulations, published by the Commandant of the Marine Corps, shall be binding on all Marines. No officer or official shall issue instructions which conflict with, alter, or amend any provision without the approval of the Commandant of the Marine Corps."

President Obama not only hasn't a clue about the Constitution, but can now add to his list of "cluelessness" to breaking The Marine Corps Guideline Protocol so that he and the Turkish Prime Minister "Our Friend???" Wouldn't get wet. Ridiculous.

JJS July 14, 2013 at 7:42 pm

He actually is a Constitutional lawyer, you know.

Three Tours May 16, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Some years ago I was XO of a Marine Corps Weapons Company (acting as a maneuver element) in Iraq. A Lieutenant General came to the COC, where my CO was waiting to brief him.

The Lieutenant General came in and opened the velcro on his interceptor vest. This served as a signal to the MP Major who led his PSD who came in another room and caught his body armor before it fell, folding it neatly and borrowing my CO's gear tree. rather than letting the Lieutenant General's kit lie on the floor. My RTO (and driver), a Lance Corporal, looked at me, grinned at the display of servitude and mouthed the word "never".

The Corps does junior Marines a disservice by sending them to ceremonial duties before giving them a couple of years in the fleet. They never learn that there's a difference between obedience to orders and servility. A Marine in my Company (or my rifle platoon, or my mortar platoon) would have walked into a gunfight (or at least a bar fight) armed with nothing but that umbrella before he'd have held it for another dude.

On the other hand, can't blame the LCpl when his boss is a bag of smashed a**holes.

Rusty Shovel May 16, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Some strong echoes of reality here:

Obama stands beneath the Marine's protection, not giving a second thought to how wet his soldier is getting. Also, notice how well and seriously this Marine performs even this simple task.

If I had to give a title to this photo, it would be "Words vs Actions"

Pin-Point May 16, 2013 at 3:35 pm

"Words vs Actions." Roger that.

Marc May 16, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Yet another example of disrespecting service members. The young Marines were respectful and courteous, despite misused in this manner; reminds me of all the Hillary Clinton horror stories of disrespect and disdain for the military.

Carl May 16, 2013 at 3:37 pm

While the marines have a nice looking dress uniform, any uniform would look good when its well taylored as this one is.

moondawg May 16, 2013 at 4:10 pm

However, he IS the commander in chief and his orders can override anything in the Marine Handbook, or any military regulation. Do you expect the supreme leaders of two of the world's most powerful nations to stand out in the rain, when there is a low ranking enlisted to hold an umbrella over them. Get real.

Gallowglass May 16, 2013 at 5:01 pm

There is no surprise here. This…person…detests the U.S. military. He could not care less how degrading this is. The Marine is getting his (expensive) Dress Blues wet while the Person stays dry. Note the look of pride on the Marine's face being selected for this signal honor.

If the CIC wasn't such a pussy he would not be afraid of getting damp. If.

RICHARD ZIMMERMANN May 16, 2013 at 5:21 pm

WHAT WILL THE TWO CLOWNS MELT.??? OR WILL HIS COLOR RUN.?? YOU CAN BET YOUR ASS THE MARINES WONT.

TangoDown May 17, 2013 at 10:52 am

'MOONDOG', He IS SHREDDING OUR CONSTITUTION. And yes, if IT LOOKS LIKE RAIN, do what MOST people DO, get your own. And Turkey?..

plainolamerican May 17, 2013 at 11:58 am

Live your OATH. Foreign or domestic.

RICHARD ZIMMERMANN May 16, 2013 at 5:28 pm

AS WE IN THE CORPS HAVE ALWAYS SAY: SEMPER FI MARINE. NO MATTER WHAT TRAITOR THEY SERVE,WE ARE ALWAYS FAITHFUL THAT'S WHAT MAKES A MARINE THE FEW THE PROUD,DUTY,HONOR COUNTRY, EVEN WITH OSAMA IN OUR WHITE HOUSE.!!!!!

Paul May 16, 2013 at 7:06 pm

He may be POTUS but he has no inkling of military customs and protocols, especially when it comes to Marines and umbrellas. I guess he looked for a Marine because there were no corpse men around.

former7051 May 16, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Disgusting.

just-off May 16, 2013 at 11:44 pm

""“The Marine Corps Uniform Regulations, published by the Commandant of the Marine Corps, shall be binding on all Marines. No officer or official shall issue instructions which conflict with, alter, or amend any provision without the approval of the Commandant of the Marine Corps.”""

It's correct but the President, regardless of how much of a piece of … he may be. He still out ranks The Marines Commandant. and can still change the rules the commander in chief…

Drew May 17, 2013 at 1:28 am

Taking it one step further in disrespecting our military, only a matter of time before his lies come out, impeachment is coming Ahole.

grant May 17, 2013 at 3:15 am

Im pretty sure if Mitt Romney was Pres this would be spun completey different by you guys.

RAAFieReservist May 17, 2013 at 6:19 am

Actually, it probably wouldn't be spun at all and regarded as a complete non-issue.

Gallowglass May 17, 2013 at 6:29 am

We will never know because I don't believe that if it were Romney we would ever have seen it.

TangoDown May 17, 2013 at 10:55 am

Correct. As in..never happen.

JustAGuy May 17, 2013 at 9:14 am

Show me a picture of another president doing this and I will spin it just the same. We have decades of Whitehouse pictures, I'm sure you can find one that shows this happening. No reason to create a hypothetical that can never happen when we have reality we can talk about.

TangoDown May 17, 2013 at 10:59 am

Sure, you could look back and find a 'few' questionable incidences possibly. BUT THIS IS EVERY TIME HE PARADES OUT. Always controversy, because EVERYBODY is beneath him..SO HE THINKS.

Ash May 17, 2013 at 3:31 am

I'm sorry, I started to care but suddenly realized there were things of actual importance happening in my life.

Hey, when you're done whining about something that has nuthin' to do with nuthin', maybe we can DO something to change the world instead of (sitting in front of our computers and) pointing out that The Magical Black Man hates everyone and everything and wants to institute White Slavery.

Every second you spend doggin' someone you fear/hate is a second you could have used to accomplish something.

TangoDown May 17, 2013 at 11:02 am

Yeah sure, we should just let the WRONGS and IRREVERANCES go..no big deal.

Ash May 17, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Um… Yeah. If no one is actually hurt, let it go, bro'. I think we all have heavier things to consider than who's holding an umbrella. Besides, if you don't learn to let that which does not truly matter slide, then you're settin' yerself up for an ulcer.

NavyVet96 May 17, 2013 at 4:12 am

Disrespectful!

CurtD May 17, 2013 at 4:37 am

Surely there is plenty of white house staff that could have held the umbrella. The former IRS Director was available from what I hear. Hell, have Jay Carney do something useful for once. That Marine deserves another medal for putting up with this leader's shit. Even just having him stand at attention would have been a better use of his time.

zer55 May 17, 2013 at 5:28 am

The umbrellas should have been held by Secret Service personnel. It is their job description to protect the President at all times. Marines walk the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier 365 days a year….24 hours a day. They do it in the rain… snow…sleet…freezing…sweltering. Have you ever seen them holding an umbrella. There were far better and more appropriate choices as to should have been holding that umbrella. Maybe Eric "Holder" He seems to spend a lot of time covering for the President and the name is appropriate.

Chris W May 17, 2013 at 7:49 am

Not to nitpick too much, but it's Soldiers who guard the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Nonetheless, there are warriors at both the Tomb and the WH, and to see one used as an umbrella holder is disturbing.

zerr55 May 17, 2013 at 8:11 am

Yes…you are correct and I stand corrected. They are from The Old Guard. The Ideology is the same. Disturbing, as you pointed out, to see any brave American Serviceman being used as an umbrella holder. I still feel it would have been far better to have a Secret Service agent do the holding. But, I guess I am just from the old school and respect those in service to our Country. I'm just glad I was never asked to hold an umbrella when I was in the Navy. I probably would have gotten in trouble.

Chris May 17, 2013 at 5:30 am

YEAH No other president has EVER done this…especially Reagan…Reagan would NEVER do ANY thing like this. What about when Marines open doors for ANYONE leaving the white house? Is that a problem too? Marines doing this kind of stuff has ALWAYS happened and you know what i do not care.

JustAGuy May 17, 2013 at 6:02 am

If you can show me a picture of a member of the USMC ceremonial honor guard holding an umbrella for President Reagan, I will say the same thing about him as I am about our current President.

I am not talking military social aides, or officers assigned to a presidential detail, I am talking enlisted ceremonial honor guard members.

What an 03 social aide or other officer does is their business. Enlisted ceremonial honor guards are not there to be personal servants of the President.

Opening doors for seniors is called appropriate military bearing not personal servitude.

Chris May 17, 2013 at 6:06 am

When the Marine sentries are opening doors in the west wing, they are ONLY doing so when the president is working IN the west wing, so whenever the president leaves out of one of these doors…guess who's there to open it for him?

JustAGuy May 17, 2013 at 8:49 am

And your point is? and it is related to holding an umbrella how?

Still waiting on a picture of President Reagan. A simple web link will do.

Stefan S. May 17, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Reagan was a Real American. Not a lying POS Marxist!

Chris May 17, 2013 at 5:30 am

zer55 May 17, 2013 at 5:44 am

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak… please note who is holding the umbrellas. The Secret Service !

Chris May 17, 2013 at 6:01 am

But this is a big deal because…Marines are always near the President (ANY President btw) when requested, but i know must be awful knowing that their duty was changed from doorman to holding an umbrella mainly for the Turkish prime minister (who was also there btw and is also a visitor). AND from how fast they got the Umbrellas you kind of can tell that someone gave them umbrellas in case it rains so they already had it on stand by because YOU KNOW the White house had a guest and it would be polite for them.

How bout this? What is your reaction to this? https://securecdn.disqus.com/uploads/mediaembed/i

Might make your head EXPLODE right?

zer55 May 17, 2013 at 6:12 am

Chris what you posted there was a rather lame attempt to insinuate the Marine was saluting the dogs. It is clear to me that the Marine is Saluting the President who is disembarking immediately following the dogs. Nice try though, and trust me, you are incapable of anything that could come remotely close to making my head explode. I simply believe that The Secret Service should have been the holder of choice simply by their job description. Have a nice day.

JustAGuy May 17, 2013 at 9:05 am

The secret service is there to protect the Pesident and his staff not for personal service.

The Whitehouse has a service staff and they are more than capable of either holding an umbrella or setting up a canopy.

TangoDown May 17, 2013 at 10:30 am

I totally agree with 'ZER55'..the Secret Service SHOULD HAVE been accessible for the 'umbrella-holding' honors. And 'JustAGuy', it would have been "for PROTECTING THE PRESIDENT"..because he needed protection FROM THE RAIN! This pres is a socialist twit.

JustAGuy May 17, 2013 at 10:49 am

Touché :)

plainolamerican May 17, 2013 at 11:53 am

The dogs just ran off first and you dam well know it. You want to prove some BS ideological point please don't use the guys in military uniform to do it. PUKE.

Rusty Shovel May 17, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Those aren't Secret Service agents–They're White House staff. Agents aren't permitted to hold umbrellas.

Chris May 17, 2013 at 5:31 am

YUP only president where Marines bring Umbrellas for him nope, no one else.

Chris May 17, 2013 at 5:32 am

YUP only president where Marines bring Umbrellas for him nope, no one else. Sure you're not just looking for an excuse to complain?

BC May 17, 2013 at 5:39 am

War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses.

I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else. If a nation comes over here to fight, then we'll fight.

There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

I spent thirty-three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for [crony] capitalism.

I suspected I was just part of a racket at the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all the members of the military profession, I never had a thought of my own until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service.

– Major General Smedley Butler, USMC

one of 19 men to twice receive the Medal of Honor, one of three to be awarded both the Marine Corps Brevet Medal and the Medal of Honor, and the only marine to be awarded the Brevet Medal and two Medals of Honor, all for separate actions

TangoDown May 17, 2013 at 11:10 am

I for one, THANK YOU for your service Major Butler. What we know, and ARE ALWAYS learning, I no doubt believe you're absolutely correct.

BeJebus May 17, 2013 at 4:44 pm

smedley butler's been dead for almost 75 years, einstein. jeezus h!

sigmund May 17, 2013 at 3:00 pm

the statist, flag waving jingo fucktards that i see frequent this place should read "war is a racket" over and over again until they have it memorized.

atm May 17, 2013 at 7:01 am

That picture struck me as being awkward when I first saw it. Not the end of the world, but definitely does not seem proper.

Fulmer Osgood Jr. May 17, 2013 at 7:44 am

With simple yes-no questions being extended into 10 minute Obama answers, why not move that presser indoors, or at least cut it short?

Joe DeSantis May 17, 2013 at 8:34 am

I doesn't matter what the regulations say or if the President has the authority to overrule them, this dishonors all Marines and it shows me this Presidents true colors. he had plenty of aides and advisors arount to do it.

JustAGuy May 17, 2013 at 8:59 am

I have to disagree. These marines showed dignity and grace and brought honor to their service.

I do think it brought dishonor to the office of the President however. It would be one thing for a service member to see that the president was getting wet and grabbed an umbrella and held it for him till he took it himself. It’s another for the White House to grab a marine and tell them to “hold this and stand in the rain so the president doesn’t get wet”. That is servitude. Do they have them pick up after the dog too?

There were plenty of civilians that could have held that umbrella, but I guess they thought it was better for a marine in his dress uniform to get wet, than for them to get their silk ties wet.

Again these Marines honored their service and their country.

Joe DeSantis May 17, 2013 at 9:03 am

I agree with you 100% that is what I meant to say it came out wrong, Thanks for the correction.

JustAGuy May 17, 2013 at 10:27 am

I think we are on the same page.

Support and Defend!!

Stefan S. May 17, 2013 at 4:37 pm

BS! POS_POTUS has staffers and aides for that. Marines are there to "Guard" the White House. Not step and fetch it! POS coward went to bed while Americans died in Benghazi! Piss on him!

Gunner777 May 17, 2013 at 8:49 am

ditto—-

tiiemeupalso May 17, 2013 at 8:58 am

@BC,oyu are not the major general.he died in 1940 before we got into WW2

TangoDown May 17, 2013 at 10:12 am

When asked to give of themselves, they DO NOT falter, they DO NOT waiver..THE Marines. God BLESS'EM!

TangoDown May 17, 2013 at 10:21 am

Was the pres WRONG in HOW he handled it? ABSOLUTELY. But HOW MANY "firsts" have you seen from this guy? How many precedents has he set? TOO MANY to count. WHAT he's saying is, "I'm not going to get wet, that's beneath me..I'll get somebody to hold an umbrella for me, now let me see..Oh the CLASSY Marine will do it..'cause HE CAN'T SAY NO!

TangoDown May 17, 2013 at 10:36 am

'looks' guys..cut the shit'..? IDIOT

TangoDown May 17, 2013 at 10:46 am

Absolutely RIGHT ON. THE best, most ACCURATE REPLY on this TOTAL- LACK- OF- AWARENESS- POMPOUS JERK in this forum.

TangoDown May 17, 2013 at 10:48 am

It's all about WHO'S wearing THAT uniform.

SEAL76 May 17, 2013 at 11:07 am

Hey give Obama some credit. At least this time when an ambassador needed protection he sent a US Marine. That is one more than he sent to Benghazi. Too bad it was the Turkish Ambassador. Obama is a jerk. Jay Carney should have been holding two umbrellas.

TangoDown May 17, 2013 at 11:15 am

nailed that one..

Virgil Hilts May 17, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Two points. I wonder why the staff who set up the event didn't check the weather and "ossibly" think far enough ahead to have set up a rain-proof canopy BEFORE the 'get-together.' Are the staff that dim? Or is it again a series of "I didn't know that', "I was unaware of that. I had no knowledge of that."

Secondly…one of those two individuals in the photo LOVE this nation….and one doesn't.

Virgil Hilts May 17, 2013 at 1:18 pm

POSSIBLY!

Virgil Hilts May 17, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Just remembered the other thought. At the height of the VietNam war, when LBJ was besieged with protests, bad news concerning Tet, general malaise in the economy and lack of confidence from the public sector, a major newspaper published an editorial cartoon of LBJ in the Oval Office, captioned ' Into every life a little rain must fall.' The Oval Office was filled with water up to LBJ's desk, and he was seated at said desk with an enormous rain cloud dumping torrents right on his head.

Priceless!

Charles (Chuck) Brew May 17, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Another assignment executed perfectly. Good job, Corporal! Semper Fi.

Marine 6773 May 17, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Another assignment executed flawlessly. Outstanding Corporal. Semper Fi.

Dave May 17, 2013 at 3:23 pm

If that was GWB, he'd hold his own damn umbrella or just stand in the "light rain" like a man and not be fazed, he wouldn't make someone else do it. BHO is not a man of the people and this paints that picture perfectly.

But yeah, good job holding that umbrella Marine, if you didn't do it I don't know if that press conference would've ever happened. What a waste of patriotic talent, he should be killing stinkies in some distant shit hole, not holding that stupid umbrella for some pompous asshole.

Stefan S. May 17, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Can't spell POTUS without POS!

BeJebus May 17, 2013 at 4:37 pm

oh ffs. it started pouring and the president didn't want to let the prime minister of one of our most important nato allies to stand there getting soaked.

if that had been a saudi prince old gw bush would have been fellating the sumbitch.

Gallowglass May 17, 2013 at 5:34 pm

At best he might have been kissing the back of Obama's head. Is there ANY third-world thug to whom he has not yet bowed and scraped?

Terri Hamrick May 17, 2013 at 5:51 pm
Joe May 17, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Fuck the President,

Not because he's a Democrat,

Not because he's a Socialist,

Not because he's a pathetic excuse for an American,

Not because he's a mixed blood ( we all are),

Not because he's a Christlim (Christian + Muslim),

Not because he's a Liar,

Not because he's a NWO crone,

…Because he's not man enough to hold his own fucking girly umbrella.

Mike May 17, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Obama isn't the first POTUS to ask a military member to hold an umbrella for him.

If he were a Republican, you'd just be complimenting the Marine for doing a good job.

The IRS is biased and only investigates Tea Party political groups. Y'all are biased and only criticize Democratic presidents. It's embarrassing to see so many current and former military members speaking contemptuously toward the commander in chief. Criticize the policies, but avoid the ad hominem attacks. They diminish you.

SF May 17, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Dumbass. It is a MARINE regulation NOT an Army one that precludes male Marines from carrying and or holding an umbrella. AND NO we would not be complimenting a Republican President for doing the same as much as you fantasize that is the case. Poooor pooor democrat victims. Always the victims.

Here is a little illumination for your dark world of ignorance. Marines care about their fellow MARINES over politics. I guarantee it. We also fight for each other and not political ideals. Mike, you are an ignorant slut.

Mike May 18, 2013 at 5:21 am

"Mike, you are an ignorant slut."

Proving my point. The soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines I serve with treat each other with respect. The way you treat me, and our commander in chief, is a disgrace. The people who employ us and the constitution we defend deserve better than you're giving them.

Gallowglass May 18, 2013 at 6:01 am

I have a lot of old-fashioned ideas I realize but respect is EARNED. It does not come with a badge, title or rank insignia. While I respect the Office of President I have no respect for the current occupant of that office.

Now my SERVICE MEMBERS…all the respect in the world. That is all branches, although the Marine Corps holds a special place with me. Despite having their institutions challeged (by that Commander in Chief) and being shown no respect (by that Commander in Chief) they remain about the only bastion of traditional values that I was taught and still believe in, despite the brain-washing efforts of the runaway Progressive movement. I have more respect for the Corporal standing in the rain holding the damned umbrella than the individual whom he shelters…with the umbrella and with his oath of service. He EARNED my respect by his actions. The other party lied his way into first place in a popularity contest. Not the same thing at all.

SF May 18, 2013 at 9:37 am

Well said Gallowglass.

PNG May 18, 2013 at 8:02 am

You're a Soldier. Probably an E2? You're the guy who keeps getting assigned crap jobs like cleaning toilets, phone watch, etc? Yip. Wake up and think for yourself there little fella. There is a BIG bright World out there.

sigmund May 18, 2013 at 5:57 pm

mike excellent link.

but dont let hyperbole and political bias get in the way of facts… LOL

stupid dumb animals (some people). little do they know their beloved republican party is playing them like a fiddle. By no means am I a friend of ZERO or his party of one-worlders either.

SEAL76 May 19, 2013 at 9:27 am

Bull shit. No way would I accept a Republican POTUS having a US Marine hold an umbrella for him. If the POTUS isn't smart enough to get in out of the rain he shouldn't be president.

SF May 17, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Nice attempt to justify it. Here's a heads up. That Marine isn't saluting dogs as much as you would love it. Notice the second dog is down the ladder as he is saluting. He was saluting the slower human coming off the helo. See, you might run on all fours like a mental patient BUT Presidents tend to walk off of Marine 1. Jackass.

SF May 17, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Ha! I once had a French Marine Major tell me to "Fill up my ve-hic-le." and he tossed his keys at me. We were in a circle of multi-national soldiers. Being the good SSgt that I was, I tossed them at his feet (into the snow) and told him "US Marines don't carry your bags, polish your boots or other tasks that qualify as personal servitude." I also reminded him he would be speaking German if it wasn't for US Military intervention when his grandpa was passing out crepes to ze Germans and grandma was a mattress for conquering heroes. The other guys got quiet a kick out of it. He was insulted, of course, and the next day he tried to tell me that "In ze Franch Marine Corps (pronounced corpse), if an NCO did not do what ze officer says, I wou slap im." I informed him that in THE US Marine Corps if an officer feels so inclined and both parties agree then chevrons come off and we can take a little walk over behind some shipping containers and settle up." He, of course, was speaking hypothetically.

Ash May 18, 2013 at 3:50 am

Cool story, bro! Tell another!

Harry Uffalussy May 20, 2013 at 11:39 am

There are times when you gots to love a Marine.

SF May 17, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Hey Ashole, you had enough time to express your opinion anyway didn't you? Hypocrite.

Ash May 18, 2013 at 3:46 am

Oh, SF, you are SO RIGHT! I didn't realize that I was an Ashole Hypocrite 'til you clearly pointed it out. Thank you for your unbiased assessment based on your own experience as a centered, grounded dude who responds instead of reacts. I bet nothing gets to you, and you're one of those Strong Silent Operators. You, sir, are awesome…

Or just an internet operator…

Ash May 18, 2013 at 3:49 am

Expressed opinion, yes… Dogged others for doing stupid stuff/saying stupid things? No (since as human beings we're each and every one of us guaranteed to do stupid things). There's a difference, St. Frannie.

Rev May 18, 2013 at 7:57 am

This young mans journey through life will be a difficult one. "You can't teach stupid" is the operant phrase.

SF May 17, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Carney is to busy holding Dear Leader's cack n'balls.

SEAL76 May 18, 2013 at 7:53 am

Time to clean house in the WH and the congress

SF May 18, 2013 at 7:59 am

Ctrl+Alt+Dlt

Mommy2 May 17, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Ur 100 % right on that!!!

Mommy2 May 17, 2013 at 10:16 pm

You are 110% right on this Rusty Shovel!!!

Ash May 18, 2013 at 3:54 am

"Poooor pooor democrat victims. Always the victims."

Unless you're a Tea Party group crying about being bullied…

"We also fight for each other and not political ideals. Mike, you are an ignorant slut."

Oh, SF, how you be so classy? You represent honor, discipline, and respect so good! You are smart insightful man!

SF May 18, 2013 at 7:52 am

Haha! Hey Ashole, here is some music for you to listen to while you are eating your cream corn in your closet.

G01 May 18, 2013 at 8:04 am

Haha! Good one! He'll never get it. Victims never do.

SFC Kevin May 18, 2013 at 4:24 am

You should get up from your chair, and go share your big ideas face to face with some of the "fucktards" you disdain so much. At least a majority of us act on our beliefs, rather than ranting about them from the safety of our desk. Which, whether you acknowledge it or not, is kept safe by the actions and convictions of better men than you, or.."fucktards" as you call them.

sigmund May 18, 2013 at 5:54 pm

"You should get up from your chair, and go share your big ideas face to face with some of the “fucktards” you disdain so much."

Not only will I, not only can I, but I already HAVE and DO. If you try something utterly fucking retarded, then I have my 9mm on me.

"At least a majority of us act on our beliefs, rather than ranting about them from the safety of our desk."

Really!? and you think I havent been there before? give me a fucking break. My wall would disagree with you.

at least I can see principles and honor, rather than bootlicking jingoism and statism. I take it you havent read "War is a Racket". I suggest you get off your ass, go buy the book, and read it until you are cross eyed. You jingo fucktards might learn a thing or two.

"Which, whether you acknowledge it or not, is kept safe by the actions and convictions of better men than you, or..”fucktards” as you call them."

and where did I call such men "fucktards"????

If you think every grunt is a jingo blind statist, then you are a fucking idiot.

How anybody could defend being a statist is beyond me. /facepalm

haloguy628 May 20, 2013 at 11:54 am

Damn, we better clear this thread. We don't want to get shot by a 9 mil. Do you hold it sideways when you capping frantically? Does macho music play in background?

…and another thing. You are overusing statist and jingoism. Big words will not make you look smarter. Especially not after you blabber about strapping a 9 mil on Internet forum.

JustMyWords May 18, 2013 at 6:48 am

If you really are a Marine, then you do a grave disservice to the uniform. No REAL Marine would publicly refer to any POTUS as a 'traitor', and certainly wouldn't choose to play word games with his name.

You don't have to like him or his policies (although considering that the overwhelming majority of his policies were Republican policies right up until he favored them, it would make your motives a bit suspect), but you sure as hell owe more respect to the office than you're displaying.

ChuckyTee May 18, 2013 at 6:48 am

Just asked a marine buddy about how he feels about this. He gave a little chuckle and called him a pouge (sp?). Said these guys are like butlers,, so why not hold the umbrella. His final words were "mountain out of a mole hill". He had his leg blown off for this country and if he says it dont matter, then it dont matter. Some of you guys need some new hobbies.

steelcobra May 18, 2013 at 10:03 am

Terminal Lance had his own input on it: http://terminallance.com/2013/05/17/terminal-lanc

Will May 19, 2013 at 9:53 am

Beat me to it.

JustMyWords May 18, 2013 at 6:50 am
Marc May 18, 2013 at 7:11 am

Sorry, they aren't US anything.

JustAGuy May 20, 2013 at 4:05 am

And officers at that. I could care less what foreign officers do with their time.

JustMyWords, do have problems with identifying U.S. military uniforms?

I can recommend a few training programs that will offer you just the skills you seem to lack. They will even teach you a little about personal servitude.

Three Tours May 18, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Russians.

Remember when the DNC showed the Russian Navy as the backdrop while honoring veterans?

JustMyWords May 18, 2013 at 6:51 am
Three Tours May 18, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Still Russians bro.

JustAGuy May 20, 2013 at 4:14 am

And still officers. and how foreign offciers spend their time is not my problem.

I find it amazing that after how many hours of looking this is all anyone could come up with. I'm shocked, I was really starting to believe that this was something all presidents did all the time.

Hey look I found one:

SEAL76 May 18, 2013 at 7:45 am

The photo of the dogs coming off the helo with Marines saluting is misleading. The President was on his way down the steps a few seconds later. No matter how we spin photos or whatever Obama is not much of a leader. He is also a liar. He can't make a decision without checking with his publicity people. He refuses to admit mistakes and lies often. IRS, Benghazi, AP, OBAMACARE. All are misleading or outright lies.

SEAL76 May 18, 2013 at 7:48 am

What no raincoats at the WH. I'll bet that POTUS has a Burberry or two.

fredg61 May 18, 2013 at 8:10 am

Clearly a case of abuse of power. Awful X's infinity…

Seneca6actual May 18, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Wow. When all you have to complain about is who is holding an umbrella, like is good. As honorable and capable as they may be, the White House detail Marines are window dressing. The idea that the Secret Service hold umbrellas is just stupid. Between the Marine detail, and the Secret Service detail, which ones are responsible for getting between POTUS and a bullet? Which ones are responsible for getting him off the X and getting lead into the attackers? Think it through. You don't have to like the guy, but he is CinC, and if you think you are too god to hold his umbrella, you need to rethink the relationship between the military and the executive branch.

I'd love to hear the conversation with the Commandant of the Corps when one of his Marines declined to hold an umbrella for the President because it violated uniform policy. I guess the upside would be that the Marine wouldn't be at the White House anymore, but probably at Gitmo on permanent detainee rectal contraband exam duty.

Louinsc May 18, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Was it no big deal to you when the former president sent all branches of the military into a war based on trumped up lies and false information? Do you think it was reverent and respectful of our military who lost their lives, were maimed and injured in the Iraq war which they fought while members of that administration benefited from war profiteering as well. You are over a decade late in complaining about disrespect to the military by a commander in chief. Get real. Military have held umbrellas for numerous presidents, yet I have never heard of any complaints about that, til now.

SEAL76 May 19, 2013 at 6:07 am

i guess the reason that most of us are ticked off about this particular incident is that we don't like Obama. We all feel that he is incompetent, stuck up, full of himself, prideful, untruthful, and just not worthy of the office. So yeah maybe the Marines should hold umbrellas for presidents and ambassadors but we just don't like them holding them for him. I served, my dad served, my uncles, my cousins served, the friends I grew up with served. I think he sucks and that is that. I'm done.

Gallowglass May 19, 2013 at 6:51 am

And SEAL76 gets a big "AYYYYY-men". If the roles were based on courage, accomplishment and love of country the POTUS would be holding the umbrella for the young Corporal.

gqshire May 20, 2013 at 1:50 am

Those same adjectives apply to the last Presdient. It's amazing how many people feel the uppitty negro needs learn his place. Just go ahead and admit you're that a biracial man is sitting in the White House. You can't be mad at his policies, since they were Repulican policies 5 years ago.

william maus May 19, 2013 at 2:59 pm

What enlisted man would of said "No" ?

Clovis May 19, 2013 at 5:02 pm

If Mitt were President this little photo op and talky-talk would have been over before the rain came as per the schedule of the day. This President is often late requiring others to wait for him. His predecessor, GW, made a point to be on time because he knew that to be late is at the very least, inconsiderate.

John May 19, 2013 at 6:30 pm

You're a fucking turd just like your President!

Freeman May 19, 2013 at 6:54 pm

So true.

gqshire May 20, 2013 at 1:56 am

The Secret Service need their hands free to draw weapons in case of an incident. The Soldiers at the wear raincoats and hat covers instead of using umbrellas.

SEAL76 May 20, 2013 at 5:38 am

Marines do not guard the Tomb of the Unknowns. The US Army 3rd Infantry Regiment is assigned that task. Often referred to as the OLD GUARD.

John T May 20, 2013 at 4:50 am

What would it look like if The Marine were black and the President white?

SEAL76 May 20, 2013 at 5:27 am

Let's not inject racial politics into this. The fact is US Marines follow orders as any of who have served would. That being said I still think that the POTUS and his staff should have read a weather report. Our POTUS should know when to come in out of the rain. Of course he is now involved in a shit storm of epic proportion. All he has to do is come clean and let the nation know the truth.

Gallowglass May 20, 2013 at 7:42 am

He will come clean on the 12th of Never. If he were to do so it would mean the end (huzzah!) of his Presidency, even with MSM running interference for him along with all his "crew".

Tango Six May 20, 2013 at 7:42 am

What's all this brouhaha and fol-de-rol? Why wasn't the whole ceremony/photo-op just moved indoors? Should'na been too logistically difficult with all the collective protocol sycophants gathered together in Washington. Or, don't the man know enough to come in out of the rain?

SEAL76 May 20, 2013 at 7:44 am

My sentiments exactly. Just shows his lack of flexibility when faced with a problem.

Gallowglass May 20, 2013 at 7:59 am

You mean like an American embassy satellite being stormed by Islamic terrorists on the anniversary of 9-11? Like THAT kind of problem?

SEAL76 May 20, 2013 at 8:10 am

any problem where he can't assemble a focus group to tell him what to do.

Squid May 20, 2013 at 7:57 am

Hey, give give the guy a break. He's holding it as straight as he can.

BRASS May 20, 2013 at 8:17 am

Regardless of any regulations, US Marines are not butlers, not even for POTUS. If the White House staff/protocol folks weren't so amateur and ignorant they would have made preparations in advance to:

A. Have an alternate location indoors available in case of rain.

B. Have canopies for POTUS and his guest and possibly even the press corps.

C. Have civilian aids with umbrellas standing by.

D. Have POTUS request staff members to secure the umbrellas for POTUS and guest.

This shows the arrogance and disdain which typifies many liberals in office with regards for our military. Hillary Clinton was famous for it as First Lady, even more so than her husband.

Early in his first term POTUS and his First Lady made a number of mistakes in how they treated and spoke about military personnel. Since then the flak they have received has caused them to at try to appear to have some respect. The First Lady has done a better job with her military family initiatives and I almost believe her and that it is genuine. However, this behavior by POTUS demonstrates his true attitude. I'm so grateful I've been retired long enough I'm not directly subject to his lack of leadership although I feel for those who are.

Marc May 20, 2013 at 8:24 am

Well said, my sediments as well.

John May 20, 2013 at 9:45 am
costa piperakis May 20, 2013 at 11:18 am

let it be known" rain or dry,sheik Obama (aka new Nixon) is all wet.

haloguy628 May 20, 2013 at 11:20 am

Next time when it's gonna get too hot, Obama will order the Marine to stand behind him and wave big feather fan to cool him down.

We The People May 20, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I would expect nothing less from a disbarred Kenyan born muslum. Usurper to the citizens of America.

john chambers May 20, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I would have liked to see the Marine have the left hand on his belt with his middle finger exposed with a few spaces like the POW's did in the Hilton pictures in N. Vietnam,every one would have had a laugh.

Q Howard May 20, 2013 at 1:24 pm

What Rubbish you all write here.

Do a quick google search and you will see Photos of Both pres Bush and Pres Regan with umbrellas being held by Marines and other military personnel. Do you hate those presidents for having an umbrella held over thier head too.

Stop your racisit uninformed Hate.

Marc May 20, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Actually, I dislike his white communist side just as much as I dislike his black muslim side. Then there are the continuous lies and the rabidly anti-American agenda that HE has widely distributed in his own books and comments; not to mention the lengths that have been gone to, to hide or deflect facts and relationships so the 'useful idiots' would become willingly complicit in the desecration of the both the Constitution and the Republic.

Gallowglass May 20, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Another "AYYYY-men". Make him any color you like I would feel the same. As a friend pointed out recently, he is as much white as he is black. He supresses that fact because there is no margin in being white, whereas he has been well schooled in being able to ride "black" (not that he is) … all the way from college to the White House.

BLACK May 22, 2013 at 8:56 am

Marc…You sir, are shit hot….keep it up.

JustAGuy May 21, 2013 at 5:10 am

Really? That is all you can find? That is a crappy screen shot of a CNN video shot at the dedication of the Clinton Library. The Military Member shown is an officer with the Arkansas National Guard. Who do you think they were being tasked by? I don't care what officers do with their time. It is not an enlisted member ordered to do so by the president’s staff. Enlisted service members are not servants.

Show me the pictures of Reagan (By the way learn to spell, it will help you in the long run).

OmegaDR May 20, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Kit Up, how about you stick with gear reviews or at least do some simple fact checking before posting BS like this. I assume most who post here have military backgrounds. And while things have changed in this "Modern Military", certain things should not, like RESPECT for the position of Commander and Chief, not necessarily the person. During my time on active duty and reserve time, I served under 3 Presidents, 2 Republican and 1 Democrat. Never during any of that time I have seen servicemembers, sworn to follow lawfully orders and respect superiors, show such blatant disrespect to a current POTUS. I have no great love for the man, but respect for his position. https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/26022

Marc May 20, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Yeah, I served under 5 Presidents. There are distinct differences in how the two parties treat the military, and the current POTUS is pushing even that envelope.

I understand your frustration, but don't agree with your assessment that stifling First Amendment Rights of serving citizens will somehow make the situation more 'tolerable' (to steal the progressives terminology). The left didn’t have any problem talking smack about GWB, many still try to blame him for decisions made in the last 5 years; but quick, throw the race card if anyone should oppose the deliberate corruption of the United States.

I would refer many of you to the Oath you took – “I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same – that is about protecting the Constitution and the Republic, not any man.

DesertFox-1A May 21, 2013 at 12:00 pm

In the pictures you posted only the Marine shows the respect for the office and is doing his duty correctly. The Soldiers that are holding the umbrellas for the Bush's are not standing at attention and looking straight ahead as is required. But the Marine that is holding the umbrella for Pres. Obama is probably more aware of what is happening then the rest probably are.

For those who hate the act that a Black man and a Democrat is the sitting President are just hate full GOP shills.

RAK,

A Proud American

Et secundum diversitatem unitatis pro scientiam / Einheit durch Vielfalt und Wissen

LPN/ret, HM2(FMF)/USN, Sgt/USAR, ACM/olc, CWVet, VNeVet, GWVet, DAV/VFW Life Member

Sergeant_Zen May 20, 2013 at 3:32 pm

"Mr. President, do you mean to tell me that the USMC's arcane and archaic umbrella rules were not at the forefront of your mind just prior to conducting a national press conference alongside a visiting foreign dignitary?"

Geez Louise, sometimes I swear you people sound less like the USMC than the GOPMC.

sigmund May 20, 2013 at 4:28 pm

oh let me guess, you're one of those 45 deathraw fellows???

and is not overusing the terms. you just cant grasp them.

Norm May 20, 2013 at 6:41 pm

The Marine is the better man. Marines have been ordered to do worst things for greater people

wlo May 20, 2013 at 9:36 pm

The Clintons used military personnel in dress uniforms to serve hors d'oeuvre at the Whitehouse. The Marine should have respectfully declined his service of holding the umbrella. The poor Marine has to live with the knowledge of this photo the rest of his life!

Note: We can survive an idiot in the WH, but not sure if we can survive if the country is full of them.

JustAGuy May 21, 2013 at 5:14 am

I disagree, he did what Marines do, he said Yes Sir and honored the Corp. The dishonor is goes to the person that issued the order.

This Marine can live the rest of his life and say I served with honor.

BLACK May 22, 2013 at 8:51 am

Agreed.

Gallowglass May 21, 2013 at 7:46 am

"Not sure we can survive if the country is full of them"?

How do you think he got ELECTED? Aside from voter fraud, which was duly reported and then ignored. In combination with the FSA that now statistically outnumber the fools who still work for a living we are indeed toast. Only question is how long.

Gregory Pierpoint May 21, 2013 at 12:54 am

No real Marine insults the CIC, ever, only punk crybabies who backed a losing candidate. Still, the umbrella duty should have been Secret Service or a butler task. Having a Marine in blues hold an umbrella is contrary to Marine Guidelines. I never even owned one during my enlistments. Nevertheless, it's a helluva lot less damaging than sending thousands of young Americans to their deaths in 10 years of fake war. Strange how those who browbeat the President, seem to overlook that much more important fact of false pretenses for conflict embraced by the last Administration. If you can't accept that a black man is POTUS, turn in your uniform and be disloyal enough to the USA to only put on boots when your favorites get elected. Your oath of enlistment does not give you the option to pick and choose. Legal elections by a majority of Americans have done that for you.

DB Cooper May 21, 2013 at 8:23 am

This is simply abuse of this Marine by the emperor. Not only did he did this to denigrate this Marine but try holding an umbrella up the way he is forced to for 5 minutes and see if you can do it. Obama hate the military more than Clinton does.

Gallowglass May 21, 2013 at 8:39 am

Oh yes he most certainly does, as much or more than Clinton did.

That is because, like Clinton, he knows he could never BE one and that they are better men than he. This way he gets to sit in the catbird seat and look down on them in the only way he ever could. I detest them both.

AncientChief May 21, 2013 at 8:27 am

I agree with JustAGuy. That proud, young Marine did exactly what every Soldier, Sailor, Airman and Marine is trained to do: he obeyed the orders of the officers appointed over him. I doubt he liked doing it, but he nonetheless did it to the best of his ability and by so doing he made us all proud. I am not so proud of the officer who issued the order, however.

sigmund May 21, 2013 at 10:30 am

yes. very true.

i really wish we could have some consistency here

big joe May 21, 2013 at 10:37 am

Note thats a AIDE holding it for Reagan not a Marine or Secret Service !! and there walking to or from a plane not in a press conference ! nice try kool aide drinker

DesertFox-1A May 21, 2013 at 11:48 am

When I was with the 7th C&C at Camp Pendleton We turned out with the 3rd Bn for an Official visit from the then sitting President. The XO of 3/7 carried and umbrella for the president and when we had a down pore the president was provided with this umbrella by a Marine Major while S.S. stood around and watched for threats. While the President was undercover we stood in the rain. Nixon, when it started to rain real hard, a typical Southern California gully washer, then turned, to the Col and requested that the troops be dismissed to get them out of the rain. So Obama is not the first President nor will he be the last president that will ask to have an umbrella be held by his Ceremonial Guards Detachment. I am sure that other Presidents have had some Marine or Soldier or Sailor or Airman hold an umbrella for them at one point or another. Since I have been following politics I have seen the Marines at the white house stand in the rain with out the protective cover for their pretty white hats nor did they have the use of raincoats to protect their uniforms.

So for those of you who are bent out of shape about a "black" man being in office get over yourselves. How many of you crybabies even voted in the last election, for those of you who did not vote, you do not have much of a say in what is happening. One vote one voice.

RAK,

Donny Brook May 21, 2013 at 6:03 pm

It has to be about race, doesn't it? How about the current president is arrogant, self-centered, insincere, and a little shifty. Those happen to be two equally shared traits of both of his races and anyway, is not the president classified as Mixed Race according to the Census?

Gallowglass May 21, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I have come to the belief that anyone of any color who shoves "race" into the forefront of any debate has no other ammo. Are we all the same? No. Does that mean one color has all the answers? No. I fought alongside "dark green" Marines and I learned from more experience than I ever cared to have that we are all red on the inside.

This … Person … in the White House has traded on his black half and denigrated his white half straight and simple because there is no profit in being white in our current society. He has ridden his "black-ness" all his life for whatever benefit he could squeeze out of it.

READ his record for God's sake. Read his (ghost-written) books. Does anyone here SERIOUSLY belive that if he were Caucasian, based on his experience and accomplishments, he would have gotten anywhere near the Presidency? If you do I suspect you must have been doing a bit of "chooming" and snorting of your own.

I don't give a tinker's damn about his color…which ain't "black" by the way…I care about his character, or more accurately his lack thereof. If I could do it I would toss him out and replace him with Alan West tomorrow, who is genuinely black. And I feel very sorry for the fine young warriors of this nation that have to call him CIC. What a burden that must be.

BLACK May 22, 2013 at 8:48 am

Good form dude

haloguy628 May 21, 2013 at 12:37 pm

sigmund sigmund, this is haloguy628. You are coming in scrambled. Repeat, you are coming in scrambled. Re-send. Re-send. Re-send. Over…

Donny Brook May 21, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Even a toothless swap-meet gypsy knows enough to have a canopy handy. I guess they don't teach common sense at Harvard or Columbia, but what the heck, it is much easier to degrade a Marine Corporal and Bill Ayers will really eat it up.

Toejam May 21, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Should have handed him a poncho and told him to piss up a rope…

Gallowglass May 21, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Oh great BIG AYYYY-men on that one, sir.

Donny Brook May 21, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Did he? When and where if you know. Thanks

Patrik Bernard May 21, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Truthfully I have always supported the idea that to be eligible to be the president, one must have served in the armed forces.

I support the draft for all Americans, because I rather “naively” believe that military service is a duty. Nevertheless, aside from his “military non-service”, it seems that nobody likes the President no matter what he does and it makes me wonder sometimes.

What if he didn't look like me, would he be more acceptable?

Hope I don’t ruffle too many of my friends feathers with this question.

Patrik Bernard May 21, 2013 at 6:43 pm

To all the President's detractors for real or imagined shortcomings. Remember, You too can be President.

Stay thirsty my friends!!

Rev M-kell May 21, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I guess people feel this new Marine Corp should not hold a umbrella for a black man! Glad I'm old Corp.

Ed Flores May 21, 2013 at 9:45 pm

That's why Marines guard the President. We don't question orders, WE FOLLOW THEM!

Dave May 22, 2013 at 3:15 am

If the umbrella tipped and Obama got drenched, would the Marine get a court martial or a medal?

The photo really pissed me off.

Billywhat? May 22, 2013 at 4:22 am

He doesn't send soldiers to rescue the ambassador and staff, but he asks this Marine to hold an umbrella over his head.

This guy needs to move out of the white house, and if it rains i will hold an umbrella over his head while he carries his boxes out of it lol

David c May 22, 2013 at 7:54 am

Liar. There is no way this story is true. You are lying to impress strangers on the Internet, and this lack of integrity is unbecoming of the Marine you allegedly are. I doubt you have had any military service past jrotc.

SF May 22, 2013 at 5:10 pm

David C…

BOSNIA. AMIB. 1999.

Boot Jackass.

TheDude May 22, 2013 at 6:23 pm

No, actually, that story is all complete bullshit. "Corps" is a French word, which they obviously therefore pronounce as "core". There is also no such thing as "French Marines", only a civilian misinterpretation of the name, "Troupes Marines" given to a branch of the French ARMY. Therefore, no-one in the military who had served with them would actually distinguish them that way. Additionally, there is no way in hell a retard like you would ever get up to SSGT (or be allowed in the military), and so your story falls flat there before your next ridiculous lie, that being that you would speak to a commissioned officer in such a way. Also, possibly the worst lie of all, enlisted Marines and officers don't "take off their chevrons" and go hand-to-hand behind the bicycle shed when they have disagreements, and they CERTAINLY DO NOT disobey orders in such a blatant fashion. The enlisted man shuts the hell up and does what he's told no matter how menial the task, boot the officer, or ridiculous the order.

BLACK May 22, 2013 at 8:15 am

Psy ops at its finest…

Hey look everyone, I can show the world that I am all for a kindler gentler military presence…I can make a trained killer look like a poontang.

Its as if he is trying to hypnotize people into believeing that an umbrella is the key to freedom and not a fucking rifle. ptooooey.

BLACK May 22, 2013 at 8:58 am

Or how bot a horse tail to slap the flies off of him…

BLACK May 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

I am convinced he did it on purpose to show us how free he really wants us to be.

This was a clear message to us all and the rest of the world that we are the rotting vaginas that he wants us to be…a bunch of disarmed servants.

BLACK May 22, 2013 at 9:23 am

Good form….

BLACK May 22, 2013 at 9:28 am

Agreed

JustAGuy May 22, 2013 at 9:33 am

We are not talking about what the Marine did; he did his job, and did it well. We are talking about why it was wrong to order him to do it in the first place.

You can call the Marines at the Whitehouse "window dressing" if you want, but "window dressing does not equal "personal servant".

It was disrespectful and degrading to the Marine to even ask him to do it. That is why most of the folks on here have a problem with it.

If they had to have someone in uniform holding an umbrella, they have dozens of military social aids (reads as junior officers) that could have and would have done it.

Enlisted military members even if they are assigned as “window dressing” are not the hired help. They are military professionals and did not join, and were not hired to be personal servants for anyone.

CrustyMarine May 22, 2013 at 12:58 pm

And while shielding the poser in chief from the rain, the Corporal is also shielding his brass! Looking sharp Marine!

BRASS May 22, 2013 at 3:36 pm

During the Carter administration a close friend and brother Marine was unlucky enough to be assigned to duty as crew on the White Tops. I say unlucky because it wasn't the great thing the rest of us thought it would be. Gary was tall, handsome and cut a fine figure in his blues. He was often told he looked like Robert Gullet' before he shaved off his mustache. All his squadron mates and friends thought it would be great duty but it turned out to be the opposite.

He relayed accounts of rude, condescending and abusive treatment by White House staffers, congressmen and others who traveled in the presidents entourage. He eventually got fired, relieved of duty on the presidential detail and returned to the FMF after an incident that goes like this:

During a flight with several congressional representatives and staffers onboard wherein several were drinking and demanding personal services; i.e., bring me this, do that, etc., one of them who was very drunk and obnoxious got sick and puked all over the aircraft. Gary was told, ordered to clean it up so the rest wouldn't get sick from the smell and mess.

After more than a year of this kind of nonsense, he finally had enough and told the puker to clean his own mess up.

Of course he was relieved following the flight, ended up with a shitty fitness report and ended up changing his mind about a career in the Marines. A smart, disciplined head on straight Marine with a bright future ended up finishing out his enlistment and bailing with a bad taste in his mouth for the lack of respect by his elected leaders and their sand crab staffers. Gary never commented on president Carter negatively so I assume that the former Naval officer and protege' of the father of the nuclear Navy knew better.

Some presidents like the Bushes gave respect and honorable treatment to those under their command. Some like Clinton and the First Lady who was worse than her husband president Clinton did not and even went so far as to act negatively toward military service. Of course what could you expect from a several time draft dodger and one who never considered military service and what it really means.

Our military, be they Marines, sailors, soldiers or airmen aren't butlers, waiters or other domestic servants. They shouldn't be treated like them. POTUS has dozens of lackeys, sand crabs and boot licking civilians that can function as indentured servants.

TheDude May 22, 2013 at 6:28 pm

You guys all suck. That's the entire role of a Marine – to do a job that could cause him harm. In case you didn't notice, that's the Commander-in-Chief he's holding the umbrella for. If any of you were Marines, you'd know that holding an Umbrella for a President is a pretty cool duty, compared to mopping floors, or police calling cigarette butts across the entire post, for example. Hell, I bet the dude holding the umbrella for the Turkish PM was thinking, "Damn, I wish I was holding it for Obama". Oh and one more thing, which again, you would know if any of you were Marines.. how much do you really think that boot-ass Marines cares that he's getting wet in the rain? Marines suffer conditions you civilians couldnt even come close to bearing, so stop complaining on this guy's behalf. He doesn't want your pity.

TheDude May 22, 2013 at 8:45 pm

"The Corps does junior Marines a disservice by sending them to ceremonial duties before giving them a couple of years in the fleet. They never learn that there’s a difference between obedience to orders and servility."

I agree when you said that sending juniors to the Fleet before ceremonial duties is a good idea, but only because those ceremonial duties should be earned. However, while there is a difference between obeying orders and servility, there is absolutely no way for a Marine to disobey a direct order because he or she has come to the conclusion that the order given makes them feel like a servant. It is not a Marine's job to distinguish between the two. That's the whole basis of the Corps, and the military; you follow goddamn orders.

As for your, "none of my Marines would hold another dude's umbrella" crack, what would you say if the Commander-in-Chief gave you a direct f**king order to do so, I think you'd snap to and ask what colour umbrella the man would like. You disgusting pukes make me sick when you mouth off about how you'd say no to the President like that. You're an embarrassment.

TheDude May 22, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Relax, he's not a Marine, and won't ever be. Just ignore.

Marc May 23, 2013 at 1:21 am

You may want to refer to your oath to remember what your loyaties are supposed to be, and to the UCMJ about your duty to follow lawful orders.

You sound like someone that would not hesitate to fire on fellow Americans if ordered to do so.

TheDude May 23, 2013 at 3:16 am

Stupidest reply ever. This obvious liar and faker just spouted a bunch of crap about disrespecting and disobeying an officer, and I called him out on it. Also, I called him out for saying that he and Marines that he knows would disobey a direct order from the POTUS. I can't believe I'm even explaining my argument. Goddamn there are some dumbasses out there. And the blue-on-blue comment was just disgusting. You should be seriously ashamed of yourself.

Marc May 23, 2013 at 4:03 am

Seems I hit a nerve….

SF May 23, 2013 at 7:40 am

TheDude – Go back to your crack pipe. Did you ever serve as a grunt? Um…yeah…the chevrons DO come off. Annnnddd Mr.Etymologist, do yah think for a second that the French Marine was trying to speak English on ummmm they way he thinks WE would pronounce it? For you I will even specify what base. It was a Canadian Base in Hercegovina called Camp Normandy. Oh and um guess what? A French Major has NO legs if he tried to pitch a bitch because he was not in my chain of command AND it was well known he had previously violated protocol by ordering another Ssgt to carry his bags. By the way, I never said that French Marines weren't part of the French Army. It had no relevance. They look at US Marines as a sister service. Soooo here's another French word you can ponder…though of Italian origin… "douche". I will use it in a sentence. You are a total and complete know it all dopey DOUCHE who is typically wrong about most things.

Gallowglass May 23, 2013 at 7:44 am

I might disobey a direct order from the POTUS. Depends on the order.

I remember my oath, having taken one three different times…as a Marine, a city police officer and a deputy sheriff.

I mentions upholding the Constitution ahead of obeying orders. I would without question disobey an un-Constitutional order from POTUS, which under this current…Person…might be a distinct possibility. In point of fact it is against the law to obey an illegal order although I have seen it happen in my lifetime.

For example, an order which is in direct opposition to the Second Amendment to said Constitution. That Constitition stands, despite the current CICs ongoing campaign to ignore or dismantle it. I am long out, but some on active duty may have to make that choice.

SF May 23, 2013 at 7:49 am

The Dude doesn't understand legal orders or Chain of Command very well. So in a multinational force (like NATO) or say African Union, he would gladly drop trou for say what… an arm hacker who ORDERS him to do so because said arm hacker has a set of shinny bars (any "officer" rank) on his collar. Never mind the quality of that officer. Just like Marc said, morons like "TheDude" tend to shut down and not think very much. THe shame of that mechanical nature is very shameful and thus the impassioned attack on those of us who exercise free will and intention with our thoughts and actions. " The Dude" even captures that passivity. He just wants to be easy going and do what people expect of him because that way he has 0 responsibility in his pathetic life when shit goes bad. Wake up "Dude" and become a "man" before you are too old, broken and full of regret about your wasted life of being a sheep. Or just baaaahhhhhhhh somewhere else.

ralph scott allen May 23, 2013 at 2:18 am

odd thing to ask an 0300 to do that . but when potus never wore a uniform for 1 day what do you expect . i agree that in the future any potus MUST have at least military time . a MARINE does his best to follow orders. even stupid orders .

i did not like the sight but i support the jarhead who did follow ORDERS. i am proud he did as told . if any MARINE does not follow orders,,,,,,,hmmm retrain him ! Regan is the only potus who honored the few the proud .

maybe u can now say a MARINE will never let down potus . the USMC comes out on top again by following orders . if u need any job done properly ask a MARINE . you will not be let down . semper fi

SF May 23, 2013 at 7:57 am

No shitbag. The role of a Marine is "To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver." IF you were a warrior and not a pogue, you would know that any other warrior would be disgusted to be put on the spot like this guy and have to violate directives and protocol to keep Dear Leader and a foreign POLITICIAN dry.

Ewowt May 23, 2013 at 9:32 am

Ok, as retired Marine "Mustang" let me say this – 1st, Unfortunately for these young Marines they had little choice but to follow orders. However, what we should be focusing on is simply; that this is a direct demonstration of Mr BO’s leadership, or more precisely the lack there of. It is as well obviously idiotic to stand in the rain when there is available room indoors directly behind them. And it is extremely rude to make a guest stand out in the rain and then sarcastically make reference to that guests’ ability to find dry clothing as well. But the worst is his total self-centered, self-serving and self righteous actions. Only the pompous dictator of a third world country would even think of making some clearly less important person than themselves stand in the rain, get soaked and hold an umbrella over them. Oh, I’m sorry; and of course Barak Obama. This is how he views everyone else and that includes YOU! And for your information, as a Marine that has protected several POTUS, I can tell you first hand that the Marine holding the umbrella for the Turkish PM was most likely thinking the same thing the other Marine was thinking; This guy is an idiot – I’d NEVER do this to my Marines!

Gallowglass May 23, 2013 at 10:35 am

One of the best definitions I have ever heard of "character" is the way a person treats the people who have no power over them. So far this …Person gets an "F" in my view.

My "rabbi" when I started out as a baby cop made lieutenant at the same time I made sargeant. I got his old badge, and some sage advice that I have always tried to live by since then. He said: "Any time you think you are a leader take away the ability to punish and see if anyone is following you". I woulda followed him anywhere, likewise my first CO back when. Some folks, not so much.

SF May 23, 2013 at 8:00 am

Very well put Marc! Home run!

SF May 23, 2013 at 8:02 am

I disagree but I get your sentiment and respect it. Semper Fi Ralph.

Patrikbernard May 23, 2013 at 10:34 am

Obviously anyone else can do a better job than the President including any of the blowhards in this conversation, Obviously.

Certainly he is self serving and pompous to even think that "he" can weigh in on national issues and world issues when we hadnt had a precedence before is clear indication of that.

However lets not ignore the fact that any and everything that the POTUS does is under the microscopic scrutiny of everyone who can't stand the man and implies much more than an extra- tremendous pressure on his shoulders.

Certainly we can safely assume that he carries on in a vacuum without the counsel of influential more competent and deserving "others". Just remember too it is only a twentyfour hour day that he is given similarly like the rest of the others.

Remember too that he has to read every document however many hundreds of thousands of pages long and meet and greet the nameless faceless as well as the powerful and infuential and plan every party at the whiteHouse and ponder the guest list and make certain that it does not cost over a million dollars.

That done he has to make certain the veterans that he "certainly not being one of" are being championed and thats before telling the IRS and CIA and DIA, FBI, Homeland Security all the un-american things to do and that they must willingly comply.

We know that in spite of him or is by mere "accident" that somehow the US is shutting down a costly $3 plus trillion war in Iraq, one that was initially expected to cost $78 Billion and an economy that was in freefall has a plausible bottom.

We knew he faked the damn elections (how else could he have been elected) and he "Can’t spell POTUS without POS, we get that.

What I don't get is how an incredibly focused "POS" "POTUS" is capable of doing all of the above (when some of "us" can't find a damn job other than to provide running commentary on his shortcomings) was not able to spare the marine the ignoble and inconsequential task of holding up an umbrella in the rain (freeing him up instead to rush off to Afghan and rescuing a platoon under fire).

Why did he not just stop the damn rain.

We would have all been spending more productive time if he had.

roger3401 May 26, 2013 at 11:01 am

All of this controversy over the umbrella could have been avoided entirely by just moving the conference inside. Simple, no problem, but no, he has to show his authoritarian control over everything by forcing a highly trained Marine to hold an umbrella instead of doing the logical thing. Snobbish, YES, leadership, NO.

Again you are missin May 23, 2013 at 5:08 pm

It is a Maine Corp OFFICIAL regulation that a male Maine in uniform can not carry or hold an umbrella unless the Commandant (the top Devil Dog) says otherwise.

What the hell is causing such confusion in some of your heads? Learn HOW to actually think and reason. Good Lord we are sooooo screwed. Hopefully ignorant people die faster in a crises.

DesertFox-1A May 25, 2013 at 12:01 pm

You all seem to forget the POTUS out ranks the CMC and if he orders or asks to have a Marine hold his umbrella. Then that order supersedes any orders or regulations set forth by the Marine Corps. For all of you who think they know everything about the Corps and who sets the orders and everything keep forgetting the Fact that POTUS out ranks any Marine and there fore can order any service member to do anything he wants. The office grants him that power. It just seems that you are all seems to be fans of the GOP propaganda and are butt hurt about this man is in office.

Don't make these types of wishes "Hopefully ignorant people die faster in a crises." Because you are showing how ignorant you are. During the Bush's years in office I never heard this level of vehemence that I have with the current sitting POTUS, where was the anger about a deserter sitting as POTUS, or his illegal war in Iraq or his attacks on the civil rights guaranteed by the Constitution. Or his ordering that drones be armed and used to hunt down people. Or his ordering of warrantless phone taps of people. The current POTUS is just following the rules set by Bush and utilizing what he started.

So, remember the UCMJ, especially those regulations that require all service members to obey the lawful orders of those over them. Remember the oath that you took when you joined the Navy, Corps, Army, Air Force or the CG, especially to follow the orders of those above you. Like I said in my post this is not the first time that a Marine has held an umbrella for a sitting POTUS or visiting dignitary.

For those of you who are still on active duty, remember that you are liable for prosecution under the UCMJ for some of the comments that have been post on this discussion thread in regards to the POTUS.

Here is a bit of wisdom we all could live with: “And turn not thy cheek away from people in false pride, and walk not haughtily on the earth: for, behold, God does not love anyone who, out of conceit, acts in a boastful manner. (18) Hence, be modest in thy bearing and lower thy voice: for behold, the ugliest of all voices is the loud voice of asses. . .” (19) Holy Qur’an S31v18-19

As-salaamu 'alaikum!

RAK,

A Proud American and Veteran

Sebhelyesfarku May 25, 2013 at 6:11 am

Is that a tactical umbrella?

ralph scott allen May 25, 2013 at 8:51 pm

the sight of trained Marines holding unmbellas made me sick. in my USMC training we were never trained to be puppets or slaves ,pawns for anyone . obama has no clue what a 0300 means. a horrible sight ! i am not a trained umbrella-man !!!

patrik bernard May 26, 2013 at 7:44 am

Of course there are crybabies in the military community and they are making a big deal of a damn umbrella. Way to keep it real DesertFox.

patrik bernard May 26, 2013 at 7:57 am

Dark Green huh, I thought we were all marines. but you don’t give a tinker’s damn about his color…which ain’t “black” by the way.

GALLOWGLASS examine your statements because its obvious that you as POTUS in the glare of the red hot spotlight the "PRESS" and "SPECIAL INTERESTS" would have already begun to discredit your administration, preoccupy your time and distract from whatever your agenda is on implications inherent in your "Dark Green".

Gallowglass May 26, 2013 at 10:21 am

Pull in your horns, boot. "Dark Green" ain't MINE, it was in common use when I was in the Corps by BOTH shades of green, who introduced me to the terminology and failed to log any compliants I am aware of.

Fought beside both, am fine with both, as is stated if you get your head out of your ass far enough to read my entire post…or have one of your friends who can read read it to you.

roger3401 May 26, 2013 at 10:47 am

The issue of whether or not a Marine should or should not be holding an umbrella over the President and the Turkish Prime Minister is actually a mute issue, they should not be, period. The real issue is, why is a man supposedly smart enough or eloquent enough to dupe enough people into voting him into office, not smart enough to move the press conference inside out of the rain. It's not because there isn't enough conference space available in Washington, it's clearly a case of him exercising his egomaniacal power over the inferior.

patrik bernard May 26, 2013 at 11:47 am

In response I actually had preemptively taken your advice. ("if you get your head out of your ass far enough to read my entire post…or have one of your friends who can read read it to you".)

Thanks for pointing me in a positive direction but I had already learned to read nevertheless, I also had one of my friends who can, read it to me.

Having done so I have come to a conclusion that this a pointless exchange Gallowglass, and I will drop off this conversation, but I wanted to point out that my head was always upon my shoulders.

You seem full of useful advice so if I may suggest that you take advantage of your own wisdom and check like I did where your head might be.

patrik bernard May 26, 2013 at 12:40 pm

really

David Drake June 6, 2013 at 2:22 pm

louinsc:

I hear at least 50 pounds of SARIN were found in Iraq. I consider that a weapon of mass destruction. Also a whole HELL of a lot of Yellowcake. This from some that were there, not the UnAmerican biased Press.