Kriss_Sphinx_SDP_9mm

LAS VEGAS — Swiss gun-maker Kriss International SA will soon be selling its entire line of Sphinx Special Duty Pistols in the U.S., a company official said.

The 9mm SDK series includes the 13-round subcompact, which will retail for $795; the 15-round compact, for $995; and the 17-round standard version, which doesn’t have a retail price yet but will probably sell for slightly more than $1,000, according to Michael Hou, business development manager for law enforcement and military at Kriss USA.

The pistols are production models based on the company’s custom-made guns for competition shooting, Hou said. They’re unique in featuring a steel slide, aluminum upper frame and a polymer lower frame, he said. The design makes it easier for users to experiment with multiple configurations, he said.

“We wanted to set out to make a pistol that was at a lower price point, making it a little bit more affordable for people to use, especially in the law enforcement and military market,” he said during an interview with Military.com this week at the SHOT Show, the country’s largest gun show.

The magazines are designed to be compatible from the top down, meaning the subcompact can take a 15-round clip, Hou said.

The firearms have tight tolerances and sit low in the hand, giving shooters less recoil and more accuracy, Hou said. They include an ambidextrous decocker, a reversible magazine release to account for left-handed shooters and multiple safety configurations, he said.

The full-size version and the compact also have an adjustable hand grip that can accommodate three different sizes, Hou said.

Here’s a video of Hou giving a demonstration of the SDP compact and the Defiance APS 4GC silencer:

Hotel55 January 16, 2014 at 10:43 pm

U-G-L-Y

Major Dan January 17, 2014 at 1:10 am

KRISS won't answer their phone, return messages, or support pistols already sold here. It does no good to own a Sphnix if you can't purchase spare magazines or repair parts. Just say no. We make as good or better pistols here and owners can get them serviced when needed.

Cheech January 17, 2014 at 10:35 am

Should I avoid spending 2k on a Kriss Vector SA 16"? Customer service for me is #1. Also noticed warranty is 1 year up to 2 years if firearm is registerered.

ShooterG194 March 13, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Buy a tavor. I own both. I think the tavor is king of the bullpups

moondawg January 17, 2014 at 1:50 am

Too expensive for a 9mm service pistol.. Excellent 9mm polymer framed pistols are selling for half that price.

chris January 17, 2014 at 7:47 am

i've never seen a subcompact with a 15 round CLIP before…..

maybe i've been looking in the wrong places….

Cheech January 17, 2014 at 10:37 am

I wish it was more affordable for the avg civilian gun owner. For now I'll stick with my Glock, Sig's and Springfields for several $100's less.

Dan January 17, 2014 at 12:32 pm

So when does the lower price point weapon come out????

T. Lane January 17, 2014 at 12:36 pm

So it's a rip-off of Glock's design- that costs twice as much- is an uproven model- has no aftermarket accys and poor customer service…DUH!!!!!!

Mike January 17, 2014 at 2:34 pm

It's not even similar to a Glock. wtf are you smoking?

ShooterG194 March 13, 2014 at 9:47 pm

It is a very high quality weapon. It is closer to the CZ design. I had an opportunity to shoot this gun. A super fine gun. Probably worth the cost. Support may be the issue, that I can't really say.

Adam March 17, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Unproven? Have you not looked outside of US? DUH!! Before you make a comment know your facts. It's the main service pistol for several foreign special forces. Unfortunately, what decides US service pistols is what makes our politicians the most profit….DUH!!! Perfect example is Sig mark 25 vs Sphinx SDP. Think before you post!!!!

Lance January 17, 2014 at 1:16 pm

"They’re unique in featuring a steel slide, aluminum upper frame and a polymer lower frame, he said." Sorry there was guns who already have that cough Glock Cough.

klp January 17, 2014 at 4:05 pm

No, the Glock frame is all polymer with a steel inner frame. The SDP line uses an alloy upper frame and polymer grip area. Think of the high cap 1911 polymer frames from STI, and it’s something like that.

I don’t see how anyone can accuse Sphinx of copying Glock, when CZ handguns are out there. Sphinx is a long time manufacturer of competition guns based on licensed CZ designed frames. Look at the SP01 for where the SDP congress from. The original Sphinx guns were all hands made, so 1 grand for a 9mm is a comparably affordable price point. I haven’t handled one but I bet they’re really nice guns and well worth the money if you want a high end service type pistol. Whether they’ll kill anyone better than an M&P is different matter (aka they won’t) but they certainly hold more rounds for anyone who carries a 1911 for service.

Ben January 18, 2014 at 1:26 am

No one else is at least a little interested in that low bore axis? CZ pistols have one of the lowest bore axis there is (they are amazing pistols in terms of price/quality) but these look even lower. Do these pistols utilize the recoil redirection of the smg?

At the very least I am interested in the bore axis. I am surprised more gun makers aren't worker on newer designs incorporating this like the new Chiapa revolvers.

Charlie March 3, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I rented one of these for my CPL class and put 150 rounds through. It was by far the best 9mm I have ever shot. Probably 2/3 or 1/2 the recoil of the XDM (both 3 and 4.5" barrels) and the S&W M&P's dont hold a candle either. The gun fit like a glove and even though I had never shot this before I was the most accurate in the CPL class. I rented it because I ordered a CZ clone (SAR K2P) that hadn't arrived yet.

I will likely pick one of these up from my LGS. Have not checked their price but they usually give me 20% above cost.

Chris M January 20, 2014 at 9:27 am

Cool looking pistol.

That said, I'll stick with my proven, and affordable Ruger P95 that will eat any ammo I run through it. If I could ever afford a $1000 pistol, I'll roll with a Kimber or slightly more inexpensive Sig or Springfield.

John D January 23, 2014 at 4:07 pm

They want an affordable pistol? What's so affordable about 800 to 1K for a pistol? If they want to get into the market they really should think about competing at the Springfield or Glock price point.

richard s March 28, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Just got a new SDP have noticed a lot of discoloration on the inside of the slide, has anyone else noticed this?