Smith & Wesson Unveils Backpack Cannon

DSC_0442

LAS VEGAS — Smith & Wesson on Monday touted its new .460-caliber revolver as an ideal firearm for your backpack in the backcountry.

Officials with the Springfield, Mass.-based company let selected members of the media fire the Performance Center Model .460 at a range in Boulder City, Nev., as part of the opening day of the annual SHOT Show. The country’s largest gun show is taking place this week in Las Vegas and is expected to draw some 60,000 attendees.

Revolvers have long been replaced by high-capacity semi-auto for self defense, but they still make nice companions if you like camping where the critters are big enough to eat you.

The five-shooter features a three-inch barrel, high-visibility sights and a synthetic stock with a shock absorber on the rear of the handle. Chambered for the massive .460 round, it packs a wallop. You can also shoot .454 Casull rounds, as well as .45 Long Colt ammo.

“It’s a very comfortable gun to shoot,” Paul Pluff, the company’s director of marketing services, said in an interview with Military.com. “A great gun for a back-up gun in the backcountry or even for hunting if you’re going after some pigs or hogs or anything like that.”

It’s a very nice gun but a bit pricey — $1,200. The company expects to market the revolver to civilians and law enforcement personnel.

Here’s video of the Model .460 in action:

About the Author

Brendan McGarry
Brendan McGarry is the managing editor of Military.com. He can be reached at brendan.mcgarry@military.com. Follow him on Twitter at @Brendan_McGarry.

81 Comments on "Smith & Wesson Unveils Backpack Cannon"

1. COMIC VINE HERO | January 14, 2014 at 8:07 am |

The .500 Magnum 500 S&W revolver is even bigger and more effective and impressive.

2. I will never buy a S&W product as long as they keep putting that stupid lock on their revolvers.

3. Now that's a gun for at Cox…. LOL.

4. Well, if I were backpacking or taking photos in Yosemite or Yellowstone, or anywhere that there is a possibility of Grizzlies. Looks like a BEAST!

5. As long as the Safe T Lock investors continue to own S&W, that lock won't go away. They've done great things with the company, but that device is their baby, and they're not going to throw it out. Much as I wish they would.

Jim
    Sunk New Dawn
    Galveston, TX

6. I'll stick with my Judge. 1/2 the price of the S&W too. I like using the 00 buckshot. My last round is a .45.

7. i like my .45 colt. not nearly the stopping power but then again i don't venture into bear country… that i know of that is…

even though i wouldn't mind owning something like this or even a Judge. that is a versatile fire arm.

8. Anybody remember those series of photos taken in the woods? A guy goes out there unarmed and proceeds to take pictures of a mother bear and her two cubs. The sequence of photos shows the bears coming towards the man, him climbing a tree, and momma bear going up after him.

If I remember right, they found the camera, of course, but never did find the man.

I was quite amused.

Idiot should have had a gun.

9. I think the 454 Casull is plenty of gun. No need to go as big as the 460 or the 500 S/W Mag.

10. one note here gentle men, if tangling with a grizzly is on your list, you dam well better throw the handguns in the pacific, because they have been proven totally ineffective against a killer like a grizzly … better get a 12 gauge with a 3 inch mag sabot round or you won't be coming back!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Looks like a fitting replacement for Dirty Harry's S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum.

"Make my day!!" :)

12. Love that automatic gun fire in the background.

13. Scott, that was COLD! Ouch!

14. Hand guns are for killing people and criminals. No reason for them to be legal. Legitimate guns for hunters or home defense are rifles or shotguns.

15. Yep. Right on all counts!

My home/self defense weapon is a Glock 35, kept loaded with 10 .40 S&W Federal self defense hollow points. If that won't get the job done, nothing will.

Aim, pull trigger – BANG! 'Nuff said. Screw that lock BS!

16. Freedom Arms 500 Wyoming Express for me, why step back to a .460 when I already have a .50 cal? Besides I live, work, hunt and fish in bear country and my go to side arm is a .44mag. That .50 looked sweet so I had to have it, just hurts the wallet to actually run some rounds through it, I would expect the .460 to be comparable cost per round.

17. Carl, you must be from France. I can almost Guarantee when looking down the barrel of a criminal's gun, you'll be hiding behind a woman protecting you with her handgun. Go back to France…

18. Pop'em and Drop 'em | January 14, 2014 at 8:00 pm |

Yeah, like the one you just made.

19. Dontneedagun | January 14, 2014 at 8:32 pm |

You are right about that i admit, but its insignficant in contrast compared to some of the rest thats been said here off topic.

John.. why the hell would Carl be from France ? How the F-bomb does that make sense ? Really makes me wonder how someone would guess he would be from France. The only thing i can think of is that John isnt thinking.. AT ALL.

or

"A gun with lock on it about as useless as a black president"

#racist and you know what any lock is fine imo because some kid will get their hands on that things whoops i shot my baby brother in the face.
    The racist remark is just a way to strengthen a weak argument, just weak…

—-
    Anybody remember those series of photos taken in the woods? A guy goes out an blablablablablabla
    Idiot should have had a gun. blablabla

Im can see Dave sitting there behind his laptop going HUH HUH HUH HUH doing a fine beavis impersonation.

No Dave shit isnt even funny and no he should not have had a gun. What he probably should have done is just stay the fuck away from bear territory and not be Remi on the National Geograpic tip. Just let he bear be…the easiest thing there is.

20. Less talk, more shooting.

21. Battlespeed | January 14, 2014 at 8:57 pm |

Within the practical realities for me, the Judge and the Circuit Judge make the perfect combination for home/auto defense, backpacking, etc. Any time I decide to wander around in grizzly country with a handgun, I'll stop by my shrink's office first and let him lock me up for 72 hours until the urge goes away.

22. With its economy crumbling and its skilled workers fleeing by hundreds of thousands to low tax, low spending, right to work states, California is becoming more and more insignificant. Eventually the US may want to just return it to Mexico and erect a good fence on its eastern border.

23. Ramsey Ford | January 14, 2014 at 9:15 pm |

Maybe guns aren't needed in France. They can catch frogs and snails with their hands.

24. I have fired most handguns out there up to the .44 mag, but I cannot see myself shooting a wrist breaker like this. if they can't come up with a short barrel rifle to shoot this caliber I don't want it!! I haven't been keeping up with s&w and their t-lock so not aware of what it is, but from comments I don't want one. if I can't dog the hammer back and shoot with nothing else to take up time in a hurry, it does no one any good!!!

25. Why didn't they put a directional mic on this guy, so we wouldn't hear all the distracting range noise? Non-professional.

26. Man that gun looks awful similar to a gun I made About 10 years go. I bought a ruger super red hawk in 454 and had magna port cut the barrel to just under 5 inches, add dual quad ports and do a trigger job. I could not find an alaskan and I had a trip to yellowstone. Today I can't imagine going into bear country without it. The magic triangle starts between the eyes and stops at his shoulder blades. The only hope of surviving a charging Grizzly with these handguns is to shoot it in the brain or break its back. other wise its mauling you five miniutes and it didn't even know it was dead. If it shoots a stood as mine get it!

27. Before you guys throw your backs out responding to the fools protesting hand-guns, consider that they are trolls who sign on to piss you off. Ignore them and take heart knowing that if/when the shit hits the fan, their ill will be unarmed. Ignore them and carry on.

28. .
    I'll stick with my ES .460

29. How many of these are going to be purchased by backpackers? 5? 10? 20? How many are going to show up on your local street corner? Or convenience store? 100's? 1,000's?
    There were approximately 100 fatal bear attacks in North America between 1900 and 2003. That includes Alaska, Canada, zoos, and wildlife rescue centers.
    Let's not kid ourselves. Protecting backwoods trekkers has little to do with S&W's marketing strategy. The same reasons gangbangers own pitbulls will apply to these weapons.

30. Pacifism is fine if you honestly believe in it, it is the politically correct court of public opinion ( or either by themselves ) that should keep their mouths closed. While I am not a rabid gun-monger or a starry-eyed zealot with a righteous cause, I feel compelled to point out, that it is a matter of historical fact in every civilization in history that when the citizenry is forced to lay down their arms, they become cannon-fodder for those trying to take the rest of their freedoms away from them. Besides, only a deliberate idiot would think that you can starve a criminal by depriving law-abiding citizens.

31. JFYI…there are NO Grizzlies in Yosemite! Or anywhere in Calif…the last Grizzly was killed a long time ago….Yellowstone yes…lots of them..All bears in Calif are Black bears…a lot smaller & not near as aggressive as a Griz…until one rogue Black bear is. No Grizzlies in Oregon either, doubtful on Washington but I'm not sure about that.

32. michael griffin | January 15, 2014 at 1:06 am |

Nice gun but think I will stick with my bond arms, love it shoots 410s 000s with not much kick and love having 12 different calibers on one gun._

33. Looking at the stats for this gun: 5-shot, 10" length overall, and 59.5 ounces.

Comparing that to my .454 Ruger SRH Alaskan (what I carry as a "backup" in griz counrty), the .460 has 1-shot less, is 2.38" longer, and a hefty 14.5 oz heavier.
    Compared to my .44 S&W 329NG (my primary weapon in black bear country, and a "backpacking" gun that is actually practical to carry!), the .460 has 1-shot less, is 2.25" longer, and an astronomical 30.2 oz heavier. The NG also comes with night sights. (Those with any "real" bear experience, already know that most bad bear things happen in the dark!)
    So, the only plus I see for the .460, is that it can fire a more powerful cartridge. Given that there are very competent loads (like Buffalo Bore 360gr solids) available for the .454, I don't feel inadequately armed…..and add to that the much faster handling of the shorter/lighter guns,

34. If I were seriously worried about bears or large carnivores, I would be carrying a short barreled rifle in 45-70 such as the Marlin guide gun, or a short barreled 12ga pump shotgun. I would not rely on a pistol, no matter how large. Pistol calibers are not as effective as a relatively low powered rifle round such as the 30-30.

35. fred Ziffle | January 15, 2014 at 9:34 am |

Right all rights end at your door as you exit the house. lol
    free speech at home…yeah….

36. I have carried a 500 S & W on numerous trips to Alaska fly fishing. I don't know how you would carry a shotgun or rifle while wading a stream fly fishing. I had two grizzlies up close this last year. They can't see very well and until they wind you, they are not scared. One got between myself and the shore before leaving, so guess where the shotgun would have been.. And no, I wasn't particularly comfortable, even with the 500 pointed at an animal that size. Some say carry bear spray. Haven't figured out how to spray into the wind-typically when a bear is surprised, they are upwind. I am comfortable that 400 grains from the 500 will travel upwind.

37. Not anything new, I have a 45LC/410 6 shot handgun smaller than that for well over 10 years. Have 000 buck and 45LC Hollow points in it. Only test fired it, still like new. Factory has an replacement cylinder (if I want it) for 454 Casull. $300, can't see the big mark up those guys want for their model, shop around, there are double barreled 45LC Derringers for even less than that from some outfit in Texas. $1,200 is way too much.

38. I want one of the AZ arms 45-70 pistols..let EVERYTHING beware lol I hope it wouldn't break my wrist but IFf my buddy who just passed saw it, believe me he would be drooling to shoot it….

39. Carl, Tom, or Dontneedagun, Whatever you want to call yourself. You are no better than any foreign parasite that wants to move to this country and change it to be just like where they came from. America has the 2nd Amendment for a reason. I won’t give you a history lesson because I am sure you already know why it is in place.

Unfortunately we now have a large group of our elected officials (both Dem and Rep), in power who are nothing more than elitist who think they know what is better for the average American citizen than we do. One of their ideals is to disarm us so it will be easier for them to make us conform to their will and or desires. Destroying what America was founded upon is their ultimate goals. Transforming America into a 3rd world country would just make them overwhelmingly happy.

Now nothing makes me more disheartened than to see gun owners banter back and forth about who knows more, or who is and is not an idiot. This kind of blather makes it easy for a Liberal, anti-American, socialist troll to interject and cause discontent and confusion. With that being said I have a word of advice for you. If you don’t like what America stands for, what America is, or what America was meant to be, move out, stay out, and stop trying to sew your seeds of discontent. We as a whole have enough issues to overcome to get back our country to where it once was.

40. Smith & Wesson say it's great for killing Pigs, etc. My eye, what it will be great for is killing children in classrooms.
    Just what we need a new more powerful weapon to murder innocent small children. Shame on Smith and
    Wesson and anybody that purchases such an awful weapon.

41. Mike the Limey | January 16, 2014 at 1:47 pm |

““It’s a very comfortable gun to shoot,” Paul Pluff, the company’s director of marketing services, said……”

Yeah, right – compared to what exactly?

42. Magic 8 Ball | January 17, 2014 at 12:58 am |

Wouldn't it be easier to just keep food stored properly and wear a decent set of shoes so as to out run your hiking/camping partner?

43. O.k. big gun . I went for a walk one day and I seen the biggest bear in my life. It would make most cars look really small it was scary for me and I have seen and been around a lot of bears all my life. The big ones require a real expert at weapons. No pistols that a joke. Though I do carry a 22 mag for the noise will make most animals leave. The kind of bear Ian talking about is large trophies WORLD records they are scary when they see you YOU can kiss your ass good by. First off a large animals are not slow they are very fast. What did I do? I got real scared and froze. That saved my life. I don't like walking with other people you don't know what they are going to do and that is scary and dangerous to me. Pistols of any caliber don't empress ME for this type of animals. Iam 71 now this was 40 y ears ago in the back part of Alaska no roads no villages just me out for a morning walk to see the wilds before they are gone. Did I get a picture well that's why I did not go with you. You forgot to freeze.

44. The new C. Heston | January 17, 2014 at 7:33 am |

That's right Carl, it's all the sane people protecting their homes and family using handguns that are at fault. You're right, handguns shouldn't be legal, I'll give mine up while the criminal shoots me with his. "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!" Hold on now while I spend a minute and a half digging out my shotgun from under the bed, which is unloaded of course (you do keep your guns unloaded don't you carl?) and fumbling with shells while the criminal shoots me and my family dead. Yes, it's those pesky handguns all right. There is just no other way for someone to hurt me other than a handgun (knife, baseball bat, golf club, ax, chainsaw, length of rope, hammer, screwdriver, ice pick, pipe, run your car over me, beat me silly etc, etc. Maybe we should outlaw those things too!) Thank God you're not in charge Carl. Thank you very much but I'll keep my concealed carry Wilson CQB right at my side. "I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold dead hands!" Now you can go back to france. Have a snail for me, 'kay? Please, please for the rest of us, keep your ignorance to yourself!

45. I fish in the Togiac Wilderness in Alaska most years and have carried a 12 gauge shotgun, a Marlin 45-70 guide gun and a S&W 500. The only one I really can have with me and still fly fish is my 500. Big pistols like this with 4 to 500 grain flat nose hard cast bullets will take down a bear if you hit it just right and disrupt its nervous system so placement is critical and its harder with a pistol. But it is those encounters that surprise both the bear and you that are most dangerous and you usually won't be carrying around a rifle or shotgun 24/7 but a big pistol you can comfortably carry all the time and wheel around inside a tent. Shooting from 20 yards isn't usually a self defense shot with a bear, its maybe 20 to 30 feet so aiming is unlikely and speed is of the essence and that's what these big pistols do well. To the anti gun people, think about not donating to the ACLU which brought to suit that eliminated a family's ability to commit a mentally unstable and potentially violent family member and maybe prevent some of these attacks from happening.

46. I have a brother in law that saved a friend who was getting mauled by a female grizzly during an elk hunting trip, he ran up close to the bear and killed it with three shots from a cheap snub nose 38 special. Would I normally choose a larger more powerful weapon for killing grizzlies-of course – but I don't know that you need a .500 or a 460. It is still all about placement.

47. The SHOT show is NOT a gun show. It is the firearms industries annual trade show. This is where manufacturers and distributors showcase their new 2014 products to the world. Gun shows, in contrast, are put on by federally licensed firearms dealers (who ARE required to perform background checks, prior to sales) and private firearms collectors (who are not required by law to perform background checks. However most responsible collectors keep records of who they sell to and do everything possible to make sure that they are legal to make a firearm purchase. I require a Georgia Weapons License (CCW) of any individual that I sell to!)

48. Rediculous…pack this hiking/ camping? This could be an Onion spoof.

49. Ralph Omholt | January 20, 2014 at 8:49 pm |

Caution is the first defense – whether hiking or hunting. However, it's necessary to speculate in "worst case" terms – with infinite possibilities. 12-guage double-0 buck is the time-proven "Alaskan" last-ditch firearm standard. In general, it's insane to discuss pistols and bear in the same paragraph. There is no shortage of accounts of high-power bullets ricocheting off a bear's skull.

Defending against any bear in close quarters is typically a unique scenario – with unique results. I've personally drive off Alaskan grizzly bear by making a racket. Of late a "bear" version of pepper spray is available; and reported to be effective – with the presumption of low (adverse) wind/rain magnitudes.

However, if a bear has any kind of "attitude," all bets are off – noting that "surprise" can instantly create a potentially deadly "attitude.". Only time, distance and a barrier can be considered as "acceptably" reliable defense mechanisms. Even with the finest weapon, if you can't aim; you're dependent upon statistics.

With sufficient distance available, the "rule" in shooting bear is to break at least one shoulder – if you have the time and ability. In a state of (personal) "raging adrenalin," taking accurate aim could be one's "last challenge on Earth." If the bear is in a state of "raging adrenalin," that plight doesn't change.

Anyone who finds it tempting to ponder killing a bear with a pistol needs to spend the lesser time required to discuss evading the possibility. Especially in Alaska (add National Parks), killing a bear is first observed as a probable crime, of some sort – from a list of dozens of possible charges.

With respect to "personal defense" weapons, used in close quarters, policemen are very commonly shot with their own weapon. How big a hole does one care to facilitate in their own body?

In a home, I advocate 'wasp spray;' terrific 'reach' and no one is immune – and, they can later be located at an emergency room.

In the way of personal opinions, if a 'street' scenario must be contemplated, I advocate a .38 or 9mm – with a stack of varying rounds; with a blank as the first round, then birdshot – finally takedown/killing rounds. Among other matters, such a combination evades any "premeditated" hysteria. – while preserving "survival options."

However, given the opportunity, a 9-11 call is a mandatory first-up "defense." Stating that you have a gun and fear for your life will get police 'teleported' to your location. Oops! You discovered that you left your gun at home (or in the car)? Well, the best possible response was made; mistakes happen, right? Minimum harm; minimum foul.

50. MADE MY DAY

51. ProAudioGuy | January 21, 2014 at 2:02 pm |

After reading all these comments about how one type/model of pistol is more or less effective against bears I'd have to go back to my old standby-the flamethrower. The article does claim "backpack", and that's how a flamethrower is normally carried around. Come to the annual Machine Gun Invitational in Knob Creek, KY some time and check out the homemade and Army surplus flamethrower action.

Also works as a very good deterrent to those that want to jump on your stage and interfere with the artist in the middle of a show…..

52. I bought a used Ruger Alaskan in .45 Long Colt / .454 Casull a few years ago at less than half the price of this new Smith. You can shoot .45 Long Colt rounds all day and .454 Casull rounds are manageable up to 300 grain bullets. I use it as a backup during early archery season, with snake shot in the first two chambers and 270 grain lead bullets in the other three. I also carry it when hiking in the spring and summer. It's surprisingly a very accurate gun up to 30-35 yards.

53. If you are really going to use a revolver on a grizz, save the last round for yourself. You are going to need it.

54. I've got a freedom arms .454 casul, 71//2"". I've bagged several hogs and whitetails with no complaint other than its too long. Thought about getting it cut down. Going to look into the .460 s w.

55. Why don't we just ban all guns, and edged weapons, and gardening tools, and baseball bats, and clubs, and metal flatware too – I mean a plastic spork should be ample defense for any real man :)

56. I've owned two .454 Casull's from Freedom Arms, both with 10 inch barrels; one is scoped, the other open sights. These are 5 shot single-action revolvers. I've packed the open sighted version all over Montana since about 1986 in a cross-chest holster. So far, with the 10 inch open sights, I've taken 2 bull elk, 2 whitetail does and (Bragging Rights) 2 pronghorn antelope ! Never yet had an opportunity on a bear. Always get an exit hole.
    And despite everything else, it's hard to argue with an exit hole.

In southwest Montana, I've taken to hunting coyotes, and now legal woofs. Two years ago I was hiking out in the dark after just squealing like a dying rabbit for the last 30 minutes before dark. Gave myself the heebie-jeebies of not knowing what critters might have come to the call without me knowing. I had seen lots of fresh woof tracks on that same side-hill. My coyote rifle (scoped bolt-action .243 Win.) seemed sooo inadequate in the dark. My 10 inch .454 Casull in a chest holster also began to seem cumbersome, considering the single action, 5 shot capacity and the fact that woofs hunt in packs. My flashlights also needed some serious upgrading !

So to calm my fears, about 4 years ago I acquired a Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull, double action six-shooter. I love it and practice a lot with 45 Colt poppers. Then simply switch out to 300 grain jacketed flat-points and I go from fun practice-plinking to serious wallop. The key here is that I practice a lot, both with light Colt loads and hot Casull loads. You can not, and must not, let the recoil distract you. Hell, they're fun to shoot when you anticipate the recoil. Shot placement is everything. I also got 2 high quality, very bright, flashlights.

My Ruger Alaskan is carried on hip or cross-chest. I've shot lots of .44 Mags., and the .460 S&W and the .500 S&W and the .45-70 BFR. I don't like anything with muzzle brakes because I'm deaf enough already. None of my guns have muzzle brakes. Recoil on all of these is impressive, but manageable. Everyone is unique and I've learned to ignore the recoil. Sure it's gonna' recoil. Expect it, but don't allow yourself to be distracted. The ONLY thing that matters is shot placement. Point, and then put that slug right where you intend to put that slug. Recoil be damned. Put the slug where the slug is supposed to go.

I also recently acquired a Rossi 1892 lever-action in .454 Casull, 10 round magazine, open sights, 20 inch barrel. Three guns, one bullet load. That 20 inch barrel gains a lot over any short pistol barrel. I apologize for not having my notes, but the 2 inch Ruger Alaskan launches a 300 grain slug at about 1,300 fps, the 10 inch Freedom arm launches the same slug at about 1,800 fps, and the Rossi 20 inch barrel hits at about 2,200 fps., which is similar to .45-70 performance. One slug, three guns. And light .45 Colt rounds for lots of PRACTICE.

I like this forum. I know I appreciate the comments that stay on topic, and I don't like name callin' in either direction. My two cents.

57. I will NEVER possess (either as a purchase, a gift or inheritance) any handgun that has a safety device manufactured or designed as an integral "accessory" into the gun. If the gun is not in my hand or in my holster, it is in my safe. What is the need?!

58. Carl is foolish beyond words.

59. I see S&W is basing new designs on props in Yosemite Sam cartoons. That said, nice to see Mike from Breaking Bad is still getting work.

60. Forget this hand cannon, the best thing to pack while hiking or backpacking in bear, esp. griz country is a good old fasioned LAW-72. It's relatively compact, not too heavy, and while it's only a single shot disposable weapon you'll only need one shot and you won't need to really aim beyond general center of mass.

61. Coming soon to an elementary school near you.

62. In this kind of situation, confronting large dangerous animals, bigger is always better. But everyone must never forget, bullet placement is the most important factor in stopping the danger. This fact is true in every kind of confrontation you find yourself in. It doesn't matter how large or powerful your gun is, if you don't hit a vital area you are only making noise. When adrenalin is involved, the attacker (bear or man) will rarely feel the impact of the bullet, with that said, with a large handgun as this, in more cases than not it is only your first shot that may be well aimed. The amount of recoil (I know they said it isn't bad) will affect your follow-up shots. That is why a rifle or shotgun is a much, much better choice in such an occasion of life and death.

63. In this topic, we are talking about serious stopping-power, maximum stopping-power, that is needed with dangerous animals. As far as new and different kinds of firearms, the more the better; they all have there place, even if it's just that it looks cool and feels good in your hand. Please, everyone, please use the right weapon for the right circumstance. If you happen to be taken off guard, then anything is better than nothing, but just know your limitations with what you are using and be ready to still run like mad. Think, play-out these scenarios in your mind far before you may actually encounter them. Don't be unprepared. And bottom line, a well-placed .22LR in a vital area is far better than a magnum anything through muscle or even worse, a miss.

64. With all due respect, those who are speaking about these .410/.45colt revolvers, view the penetration results on ballistic gelatin using any .410 cartridge from one of these type of handguns. These are useful for home defense on thin-skinned targets only. If you shoot a bear of any kind, you are only encouraging an attack. Plus these kinds of multi-cartridge revolvers do not shoot any of their prospective calibers well, simply because of the blow-by that takes place in this design. Don't get me wrong, I like these revolvers, I would like the rifle version of one of these, but the fact that you're trying to shoot two or even three completely different kinds of cartridges in the same chamber, something must give. The .410ga is .41 caliber and you're shooting down a .45 caliber barrel, thus blow-by. The long chamber needed to hold the .410 make its diameter too big and long for normal pistol rounds, again producing blow-by. The blow-by effect reduces the power of the cartridge being used. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. No one seems to point this graring fact out. That's also why these guns don't have much of a recoil. Just a little FYI. (for what it's wroth)

65. And just one more comment. The new S&W safety (even though it's been in use for at least ten years I think) is not that bad. It doesn't stick-out, it doesn't look bad, and most important, it doesn't impede with the function of the gun in any way. Do I like it? NO! I'm sure they had to install this piece of nonsense for legal purposes, to keep from being sued in any way. But that being said, it would not prevent me from buying any S&W revolver; the quality of S&W has greatly improved year by year and far better than what was made 15 to 20 years ago. Right now, the S&W revolver is probably the best production revolver you can buy and their Performance Line is unmatched.

66. Tom Abernathy | January 24, 2014 at 2:34 am |

That 454 revolver Holy Cow. I thought my 44 magnum was bad ass!

67. W ell less see, we know we have a right to bear arms right? some have 50 cal some 30 cal sone all type og guns and hand guns for their prtecation and hunting ,Well some of us do not like to hunt big game and we do not like to kill people as I grew up the only thinh I had to defend my self with was my ability to talk my self ont of a jam when I got into one,now people get killed over parking spaces withn hand guns kids get killed in school the nra wants more police on school grounds, what happons when some one gets the bright ider to machine gun a school bus on the way to school, I thank every state should tax alll the guns to help pay for all the dammage they cause

68. When Lewis and Clark went west, they heard tales of Grizzly bears from the Indians. Having known only black bears in the East, they figured their guns were more than enough. After one Grizzly took 5 rifle shots before going down, they learned to RESPECT the Grizzly.

69. why not walk in the woods with a german 88 mm cannon
    I'd feel safe with that

70. Neat hand cannon..Great for backpackers …yeah right! The perfect scenario would be a still target.
    Just remember, if you're in the wilderness and see an angry grizzly "coming at you 35 miles an hour, my suggestion would be to shoot at him 4 or 5 times and if you hit him great, but chances are, you'll miss, and then when he's closing within 100 yards, (Mr. Grizzly is 20% faster than Usain Bolt!..) so figure you would have less than 7 seconds to scream "Oh Shiiiiit! At that point, it would be best to save the last bullet for yourself.

71. Cholly Fossil | January 28, 2014 at 2:36 pm |

in Eastern Canada, the hunting guides often carry a double-bitted axe. Apparently feeling that if it's close enough to hurt you, you can hurt it. Me – a 12 Ga. pump with 3 in. Mag., Brenneke slug will do. And about that triangle? A big brownie or grizzly will hold his head nearly six feet off the ground. Look at yer dog from the front. Imagine yer slugs bouncing off that extreme skull angle while the critter gets closer and madder. Go for the shoulders. Break that bear down. Much easier to shoot it in the head, if you're standing over it!

72. Chip Shastid | January 28, 2014 at 8:53 pm |

What a privilege to watch all of you masturbating at the thought of this gun.

73. I plan on never going back packing or bear hunting or chasing off wild boars. Yet, for some odd reason, I MUST HAVE THIS GUN.

74. I'd rather have an Ithaca Auto & Burglar myself, if the idiots in Congress would drop the "Any Other Weapon" tax registration requirement. All that crap over a $5 tax which costs many times that much to administer. Of course the intent is not to collect the $5 but to discourage citizens from exercising their constitutional right to keep and bear such arms.
    The 20 gauge model packs enough punch to kill just about anything in North America but a Kodiak bear.

75. Robert David Strong | January 31, 2014 at 12:20 pm |

Nice home defense revolver; it's a bit pricey but I would love to have this baby! Silver Cash

76. Please read this, EVERYONE. I really don't understand why some of you out there feel it necessary to be nasty and rude. People leave there comments to give their point of view. Isn't everyone entitled to a point of view? If you disagree, fine, be nice and give us your wisdom on the matter. It's far better to win an argument using respect of the others involved. And it does seem as though the worst offenders have been those against owning handguns and then those who reply to them. I believe they say what they say just to fire-up our negative emotions; don't let them bring us down to their level. Better to just ignore them or treat them as children, nicely tell them as you would a child why they are wrong and if they continue to be bad, then politely tell them to go to hell and keep their damn asinine comments to them selves and find some other place to leave their load of crap.
    But in a nice way.

77. Does it come with training-wheels, or, better still, a caddy?

78. Sky Soldier | February 5, 2014 at 1:17 pm |

Heck, I got my back pack companion revolver years ago in a Rugrr GP100 .357 magnum. Plus a breakdown Browning .22 LR SA rifle (sweet).

79. John Smith | April 23, 2014 at 5:29 pm |

I own a .460 with a 5" barrel. I have also purchased the so-called backpack cannon, which I just bought today and haven't had a chance to fire. I hear people refer to the .460 as a wrist breaker, or cannon, and then denegrate the gun for recoil. I can tell you after over 100 rounds of .460 shells, .454 Casualls, and 45 Long Colts, the gun does not have any recoil an experience shooter could not easily handle, and with the compensator, the recoil on my .460 is actually a lot LESS than the recoil I get off of my .44 Mag Taurus. The only downsilde to the gun is I would strongly advise ever firing it without some hearing protection. It does have a LOT more BANG than a .44 Mag. So plug up the ears and shoot.

80. The idea of protection with a revolver of that caliber is a good idea….. if you can not get the animal in 5 shots they you should not be out in the woods…period! of course a 44 Magnum is just as good!!

81. Who gives damn what you use them for. there for you to buy and carry it your god given right to use them how you see fit by the 2nd amendment people remember we the people not we the left wing idiots and the government in charge gun are nothing but tool to be used for what ever problem should arise guns do not kill people kill people If you take guns away then it will be your knives forks baseball bats tire irons beer bottles what ever you decide to protect or to assault some with buy the way more people are kill every year by auto you going to quit by them and start walking don't think so

Comments are closed.